MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Adrian Meredith

MH0001 Sat 26th March 16

I have just been checking timings of MH flights from London as my daughters are flying home this weekend and on both the MH website and Flightradar24 MH1 on Sat 26th is scheduled to depart LHR at 20.15 GMT and arrive in KUL at 00.25 on Monday morning! This is a flight time of over 20 hours. All the other MH1 flights on other days before and after have a flight time of 13 hours.

Does anyone know why this particular flight is so long? (is someone diverting the flight for a shopping trip?)

BTW, it doesn't affect my daughters as they are on MH3 leaving on Sat morning with a flight time of 12.50 hours, so the question is academic. :)

Thanks

I have just been checking timings of MH flights from London as my daughters are flying home this weekend and on both the MH website and Flightradar24 MH1 on Sat 26th is scheduled to depart LHR at 20.15 GMT and arrive in KUL at 00.25 on Monday morning! This is a flight time of over 20 hours. All the other MH1 flights on other days before and after have a flight time of 13 hours.

Does anyone know why this particular flight is so long? (is someone diverting the flight for a shopping trip?)

BTW, it doesn't affect my daughters as they are on MH3 leaving on Sat morning with a flight time of 12.50 hours, so the question is academic. :)

Thanks

first of all, the A380 can't flight 20 hours straight...

second, daylight savings time is to start on March 27 in London (and in Europe) at 1AM London time (2AM central Europe) so it's probably the issue of calculating flight time to include the daylight savings time for different time zones on Flightradar24 website

From booking page, MH1 on 26Mar shows STD of 21:35 and STA on 27Mar at 18:25 still

Daylight savings time change would not affect flight on 26Mar, because the flight would already have left LHR by the time clocks go back on Sunday

Furthermore, that only an hour - a further six hours to be accounted for :)

From booking page, MH1 on 26Mar shows STD of 21:35 and STA on 27Mar at 18:25 still

Daylight savings time change would not affect flight on 26Mar, because the flight would already have left LHR by the time clocks go back on Sunday

Furthermore, that only an hour - a further six hours to be accounted for :)

what i mean is it's an error on the flightradar24 website when it comes to calculating/displaying time during the start of daylight savings period...

the website is showing STD of 21:35 for departure up to 25 Mar which is correct, but somehow displays STD of 20:15 on Mar 26 (when it should be 21:35 as per MAS's website) and it is actually displaying the STA in GMT+8 (Malaysia time) instead of GMT+0 time (as in previous days) which is why the flight time is >20 hours (12+ hours flight time and 8 hours time difference).

it also shows STD of 20:45 from Mar 27 onwards when it should have been 21:45 as per MAS's website

i believe this is due to the fact that the flight departs in GMT+0 and when the flight arrives in Malaysia it has changed to GMT+1 which screws up their time calculation/display and this would also explain the 1 hour discrepancy from 27 Mar onwards

what i mean is it's an error on the flightradar24 website when it comes to calculating/displaying time during the start of daylight savings period...

Yes, that is hopefully the case :)

Imagine making booking for a 21:35 flight only to find it's scheduled to depart 80 minutes earlier :D

Yes, that is hopefully the case :)

Imagine making booking for a 21:35 flight only to find it's scheduled to depart 80 minutes earlier :D

Haha, well happened to me once, I didn't know they just added an hour to the clock the night before and arrived at the check-in counter 1 hour after closing time....luckily the flight was delayed for >2 hours so they let me check-in anyway...

Lucky, lucky boy - wonder if your fellow passengers were in similarly good spirits :)

I'm impressed they were still manning the check-in counter an hour after scheduled closing

Sign in to follow this