MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Prestley Shim

Kuching International Airport @ WBGG 2016

saw a post in MySarawak's fb saying that the charter flight from Taipei is now ready for booking.

If it is true, i suspect it to be Transasia Airways. The only Taiwanese airline other than Eva and CAL to have planes that can fly as far as KCH.

Any info on this?

I thought Air Asia already has the direct Kuching Penang link

Yeap they do have it. Not sure about the frequency but it's 2x a day. Morning and evening.

saw a post in MySarawak's fb saying that the charter flight from Taipei is now ready for booking.

If it is true, i suspect it to be Transasia Airways. The only Taiwanese airline other than Eva and CAL to have planes that can fly as far as KCH.

Any info on this?

27 Jan KCH/TPE MH8772 2040-0100

2 Feb TPE/KCH MH8773 0200-0630.

Info from a member of Kuching Spotters group. But of course, things might change at the last moment. However I did recently come across a Powerpoint presentation from ACE Entrepreneurs Conference that included TransAsia Airways for that charter flight. Perhaps a codeshare?

Edited by Prestley Shim

Attention KCH spotters, 9M-NEO is going there today.

Supposed to arrive at 19:20 but delayed to 19:40 according to FR24. Too dark for pictures, unless we have access to the apron to take static pictures. Thanks for the info bro :good:

Supposed to arrive at 19:20 but delayed to 19:40 according to FR24. Too dark for pictures, unless we have access to the apron to take static pictures. Thanks for the info bro :good:

Try again tomorrow - it should be doing the same rotations as 9M-AGA. They swapped the two aircraft around.

Nice shots. Pardon my ignorance but is there any way I can tell a A320 Neo just by physical appearance? Any distinguishing features?

Nice shots. Pardon my ignorance but is there any way I can tell a A320 Neo just by physical appearance? Any distinguishing features?

Engines are much larger than the old CFM56.

Thrust reversers are not like the "flower" type on the CFM56. They slide back, like they do on the IAE V2500 engines or on wide bodies like the A330s.

See: http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20604&p=366544

Sounds like kapcai when pass by, if that helps. :D

Had a quick spotting session today seeing that the afternoon sun was up and the lighting was good. Joined a few other spotters and our mission was to catch 9M-AGB on its second day in service. I caught her yesterday but wanted to try my luck again today to get shots with better lighting. But knowing Kuching weather very well, the weather will always miraculously turn against our favor just as the main dish approaches.

I first went to the shoplots to catch her landing. Weather en route to the location was bright and sunny but as soon as I got there, the sun was hiding behind the clouds. Sigh..should've known this was gonna happen. But anyhoo since I was already there might as well get a shot for what it's worth.

AK5208, the flight number dedicated to A320neo aircraft.
30721677601_374b99e1a4_b.jpg

After that, made my way up the hill to the best spoting location in Kuching so far (for taxi, landing and 07 rotation shots).
Limited edition AirAsia Remove Before Flight keychain. RM10, purchased onboard an AK flight last month.
30693081162_30456ca076_b.jpg

At this time, Giovanni and Oliver was already on the hill, with Oliver perched on his ladder and Giovanni on the newly built platform. They were training their weapons on a RMAF C130.
30509061550_ae3b00a597_b.jpg

The newly built platform was a simple yet ingenius design by Oliver, constructed solely by him. It can hold a maximum of 4 people on top and 3 maximum if a ladder is set up. The underneath doubles as a shelter from rain and sun.
30773650266_a5b80c696f_b.jpg
30509049260_16acea008a_b.jpg

FIRE AT WILL!!
30509033920_8365aba179_b.jpg

The target? 9M-MLT rotating off 07 back to Kuala Lumpur as MH2521.
30809894685_031283c152_b.jpg

By the time 9M-AGB pushed back and begun taxi, the sun was completely covered by clouds with dark angry storm buildups west of the airfield. I decided it was not worth trying to get a decent shot...So I took a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN3ZIA8vqI4

Engines are much larger than the old CFM56.

Thrust reversers are not like the "flower" type on the CFM56. They slide back, like they do on the IAE V2500 engines or on wide bodies like the A330s.

See: http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20604&p=366544

Thanks that's helpful. Now that you mention it, indeed engine looks different. I suppose they are ETOPS certified as well?

Just look at the trailing edge of the reverser cowls at the 6 o'clock position. Unique to the NEOs (both PW & CFM engines).

Nice spotting location; It's been a long time since my trip to KCH. Maybe you guys could bring me there should i'm in town.

Nice spotting location; It's been a long time since my trip to KCH. Maybe you guys could bring me there should i'm in town.

Sure thing! Just hit us up and I'm sure my colleagues will be happy to bring you around if I'm not free :D

So this is where you guys have been hanging out at..that is quite exclusive with 3 levels :D Thank you for sharing the video Prestley..those lucky dudes in the cockpit.

Hahaha yeah quite innovative xD the video doesn't do justice lah. You gotta be there for yourself to really hear how quiet it is.

Just came back from KCH......weather there during my 3 days there is quite looney....likes to shower around noon to 2pm and after that showers again at around 5ish to 6ish

Just came back from KCH......weather there during my 3 days there is quite looney....likes to shower around noon to 2pm and after that showers again at around 5ish to 6ish

Yeah it's like that 4-5 days a week. Getting quite predictable.

Anybody has any info on the fire at KIA which occurred last night?

Information from social messaging: source authenticity yet to be verified.

Status Operasi : Sampai ditempat kejadian didapati benar berlaku kebakaran melibatkan sebuah generator milik syarikat TJ Pacific yang diletakkan diluar bangunan. Kebakaran juga melibatkan 4 tong minyak Jet A1 dan sebuah tangga penumpang Airbus. Kebakaran telah berjaya dikawal dan dipadamkan oleh pasukan Bomba Lapangan Terbang semasa Pasukan Bomba BBP Tabuan Jaya sampai ditempat kejadian. Kebakaran tidak melibatkan strukur bangunan MAS kargo sepertimana yang dilaporkan. 

Maklumat Tambahan:Set Generator tersebut digunakan untuk kerja-kerja kimpalan pada waktu berkerja siang hari dan tidak dihidupkan pada sebelah malam, 4 tong minyak JET A1 menyebabkan api cepat marak.

Some of my favorite picks from November's spotting sessions.
Seeing Hong Kong Airlines here in daylight for the first time.
30474086680_17484cc028_b.jpg

One of the most fun and colorful AK liveries I've seen.
30777685642_0465f1513a_b.jpg

The Banana with a white radome.
22817116208_483e671118_b.jpg

Tune Talk's flying billboard arriving in evening light from Lumpur.
30928545221_7b603c9870_b.jpg

The second A320neo rotating back to Lumpur.
30715003144_dc00e3e1d7_b.jpg

With Captain Aquila Ismail in seat 0A.
31338434155_ef54cdbae5_b.jpg

Do or die, I just gotta catch this 767!
31250970872_0e94943a74_b.jpg
31358518386_9066ea4b1c_b.jpg

Finally got a shot of the 'Kuching City Alarm Clock'.
31386055482_d795d13786_b.jpg

Airport authorities began digging out some unsightly mounds.
31161436440_5ed21e931c_b.jpg

Edited by Prestley Shim