MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Prestley Shim

Kuching International Airport @ WBGG 2016

Good stuff fellas.

Today is the first day of revenue service for AGA. It did eight sectors in total, four to and from PEN in the morning and a similar number of sectors between KUL and KCH in the afternoon. Nice for SS Lee in PEN - he gets 3 neo flights to aim for!

Good stuff fellas.

Today is the first day of revenue service for AGA. It did eight sectors in total, four to and from PEN in the morning and a similar number of sectors between KUL and KCH in the afternoon. Nice for SS Lee in PEN - he gets 3 neo flights to aim for!

Yeah, lucky! Still hoping someway along the road they will swap AGA and NEO. That would be blissful for us spotters. AGA is expected to continue on present sector arrangements till end of this month. So that means 2x daily flights to/from Kuching on AGA. But the downside of this will of course be the domino effect of delays. Its first flight, AK5208 to Kuching today was delayed an hour, due to the earlier Penang sectors.

Yes, I note that the NEO flights are also delayed. Not sure whether this is normal as I did not look at the pre NEO and pre AGA ontime records.

Yeah, lucky! Still hoping someway along the road they will swap AGA and NEO. That would be blissful for us spotters. AGA is expected to continue on present sector arrangements till end of this month. So that means 2x daily flights to/from Kuching on AGA. But the downside of this will of course be the domino effect of delays. Its first flight, AK5208 to Kuching today was delayed an hour, due to the earlier Penang sectors.

Awesome. Will be on the lookout for the NEO flights. Can really get more chances with AGA's schedule.

Saw the routes to and from Penang this morning and was hoping to catch it this afternoon.

Yes, I note that the NEO flights are also delayed. Not sure whether this is normal as I did not look at the pre NEO and pre AGA ontime records.

Bigger engines, bigger diameter more time needed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note though, maybe there are some new / different checks required which adds to the Turn Around Time.

On a serious note though, maybe there are some new / different checks required which adds to the Turn Around Time.

Not to mention crew training and familiarisation.

Day 2 of 9M-AGA's service. She finally taxied for an A1 intersection departure, granting us the chance to get a side profile shot. Lighting, unfortunately showed no sign of cooperation.
30008931981_d216fe5d87_b.jpg

Spotting log
9th Sept 2016
29439773163_7fe4de6267_b.jpg
29439010374_7bb89a34e5_b.jpg

20th Sept 2016
29967893376_16a58871b7_b.jpg
30001796435_547d87ed2a_b.jpg
29398600124_bdc14d133a_b.jpg

Sept 21 2016
30066523155_24b54ce7cf_b.jpg

Oct 1 2016
Capt Aizuddin commanding 9M-AJE from Singapore as AK1776 after doing an overhead downwind approach. Passengers seated on the left side of this flight were lucky as they got to see what it was like to overfly the airport and fly parallel to the runway.
30004407226_22dc69185f_b.jpg

Oct 4 2016
3rd day of service for 9M-AGA. Finally managed to get a taxi shot in good lighting.
29486816124_2a9e254415_b.jpg
30115362695_b0735b2209_b.jpg

Wow, those images are getting better by the days Mr. Prestley, especially the close ups and details. New lens? thank you for sharing :good:

Nah I haven't gotten any new lenses yet. Thanks for your kind words :)

I think it is because he has a lot more practice these days - so he is becoming good at it!

Yeap I've definitely had more practice. Plus some very useful and invaluable tips from fellow spotters.

4th Day of AGA in Kuching.

Did a close up shot of the CFM Leap-1A engine number 1. Unfortunately, the lighting was't cooperating.

While, AGA was taxiing to A for a full length departure at that moment.

30129415835_bee583b1f2_o.jpg

The beauty shortly rotated just right in front.

29501231744_fcfa0d66ec_o.jpg

Great shots there Chris! On another news, read in the news yesterday that AirAsia is mulling over having an LCCT in our backyard..humm, another brilliant idea from TF to monopolize the business in the country. Frankly speaking, I am ok with that infact bring it in fast we need more international connections when MAB is slashing even more. Just for fun, where do you guys think the best location for the LCCT should be? I think down the road to Serian should be good.

http://www.theborneopost.com/2016/10/07/airasia-mulls-over-having-lcct-in-sarawak/

Looks like they are trying to avoid what happened in BKI.

KCH needs a LCCT more because the market in KCH is very limited. Time and time again, we see airlines start routes and then fail because of a lack of passengers using the services. A lower cost airport should help stimulate the market and Airasia can have a bigger and stronger KCH hub as a result. By visiting the CM, they are probably looking for subsidies too...

Honestly speaking, perhaps a new LCCT isn't what is needed in the near future. I believe the first step for AirAsia would be to first, increase connectivity. For example, connecting Australia, East Asia, Indonesia via Kuching would be a better option. Something to test the market first. On Aireen's comment about KCH reaching its full capacity, I wouldn't completely agree. This is based on my observations, anyway. I am in no way an expert or someone who is knowledgeable enough to gauge the market/passenger volumes. But go to the airport during off peak hours and you will see it is mostly empty. Parking bays for jet aircraft on average 3 will be occupied. I think they should take advantage of these off peak hours to maximize their slots and fill the gates first. Moreover with a quick turnaround time, I don't think it will be much of a problem. Plus, AirAsia is allocated Bays 1-4 and Bay 9 for their operations. It's a rare sight to see them all occupied at the same time except in the early mornings or at night.

On the other hand at other local community forums, some people have suggested a private airline solely built upon serving the state be set up. It sounds like a good idea at first but a bigger question will be its feasibility and will it serve the people of Sarawak well with low fares such as what AirAsia can offer. Some people strongly recommended foreign carriers operate here instead of letting AirAsia and TF get their way.

I say, let the experts (AirAsia) do their job and help the state improve connectivity first. At the same time, the state agencies especially the tourism industry players do their part as well. When all has been said and done, make a comprehensive study to see if Kuching really needs an LCCT. If they decide to do it in the end, hooray! Lower airport taxes, lower fares. I'm just afraid that if an LCCT was to be built so soon, it would be a white elephant. But with a new LCCT, foreign low cost carriers might even consider setting up shop here. Wait and see lah :D , people like us can only give our 2 cents and promote our state to outsiders all we want in our own means. But unless you have power, that's a different story.

According to her, the routes that the company would be looking at were all those that the company had already established in its group networks, adding: “It’s just a matter of connecting those points in Asean, North Asia, India and Australia.”

She made it sound so easy it sort of defies your intelligence to not believe it's not feasible :)

On Aireen's comment about KCH reaching its full capacity, I wouldn't completely agree. This is based on my observations, anyway. I am in no way an expert or someone who is knowledgeable enough to gauge the market/passenger volumes.

At the KLIA LCCT, Airasia proved that if you build it at the right cost, charge lower PSCs, passenger numbers can expand rather quickly. JHB is another case in point - with the airport operator cooperating as committed partners, JHB passenger numbers have quickly increased. As a result, more new routes were introduced and connectivity to JHB is now better.

To wait till the airport is crammed to the rafters before starting work on an LCCT would not be optimal. It would take at least 2 or 3 years to complete a new LCCT - just look at how quickly Airasia pushed from 20m passengers at the KLIA LCCT to 30m passengers at klia2. If the conditions are right at KCH, they might be able to increase passenger numbers by the same proportions.

Anyway, lets wait and see what will happen this time - Airasia has tried to promote KCH many times before but failed.

Batik Air Malaysia (ex Malindo Air) collection :D

Lucky to have gotten this shot. Beacon light with the signature Kuching dark skies.
29666282594_58eb4e6c63_b.jpg

30281929115_7e8b58c75b_b.jpg

It was grass cutting day..

30227211156_51b8f1dc56_b.jpg

Edited by Prestley Shim

Nice one. Looks like the grass cutters were having a field day out there. ;)

Thanks! Would love to take up a part time job as grass cutter in the airport area too. I'll be the only with one a camera! :D

MAB to introduce direct PEN - KCH - PEN flight 4x weekly starting 18 Nov 2016. Brilliant, and lets hope this continues on beyond the seasonal flight if they are really serious in helping the state's tourism industry. Wonder if AirAsia is going to counter this..will be good for those from here to visit LIMA2017

MAB to introduce direct PEN - KCH - PEN flight 4x weekly starting 18 Nov 2016. Brilliant, and lets hope this continues on beyond the seasonal flight if they are really serious in helping the state's tourism industry. Wonder if AirAsia is going to counter this..will be good for those from here to visit LIMA2017

I thought Air Asia already has the direct Kuching Penang link