MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Prestley Shim

Kuching International Airport @ WBGG 2016

Since June or earlier this year, international departing passengers at KCH are no longer able to enjoy the facilities of the departure/transit area after immigration. This is because after international immigration clearance, pax turn right and board either Gate H7 or H8 or H9 on the 3rd level. Baggage are security screened at each gate entrance after which they take the escalator down to the holding room below. The access doors below are all locked and one cannot (as before) go out and do shopping or grab a coffee. I asked AK personnel the reason and they just shrug and say "new MAB security ruling". If pax wants to use the toilet, they have to go out through the security to the 3rd floor. Just when I thought I can go to the new food court and enjoy a cuppa before my flight to Singapore. Instead, I have to sit in the gate with nothing to do but wait for boarding. Granted that our departure area is nothing much to shout about with its paltry shops, one can at least grab a bite or stroll around. What kind of impression will this create for the international departing tourists I wonder :sorry: :lazy:

Sounds like a security measure in view of terrorism threat.

We humans sometimes don't know what we want. Either strict, annoying security practices... or risk of a catastrophe.

As for me, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm sure the authorities are doing the best they can afford to and for the greater good.

Yes, a couple of hours of waiting

Really ? How did that come about ?

I see that the last KCH-BKI flight arrives about midnight and the BKI-TPE flight departs around 6 in morning, one of the first flights out BKI everyday

That is why I thought it would have been quite a long layover for you

Same goes to BKI... International depart level 3, when boarded the boarding hall they go level 2, but the access door all locked... cant access to demestic or "International"

At BKI there are a few outlets (Starbucks, Duty Free, Plaza lounge .....) after immigration clearance, go down to (locked) holding lounge at level 2 nearer boarding time

I cannot properly recall, is there nothing after international immigration clearance at KCH ?

Really ? How did that come about ?

I see that the last KCH-BKI flight arrives about midnight and the BKI-TPE flight departs around 6 in morning, one of the first flights out BKI everyday

That is why I thought it would have been quite a long layover for you

At BKI there are a few outlets (Starbucks, Duty Free, Plaza lounge .....) after immigration clearance, go down to (locked) holding lounge at level 2 nearer boarding time

I cannot properly recall, is there nothing after international immigration clearance at KCH ?

After international immigration clearance at KCH, there is one duty free shop selling liquor and cigarettes and lately, a small souvenir shop. That's all! Nothing except the washroom and then the 3 gates. No F&B outlets and no reason for them to fix any because of the lack of international flights our of KCH. I guess that explains why they no longer allow international pax to enter the immigration hall until its about 90 minutes before departure.

..some images of 9M-LCD before she turns Batik Malaysia, to complement the discussion B)

DSC_2913_a_zps9ru0b43p.jpg

DSC_2925_a_zpsbclbcu0v.jpg

When will Malindo officially become Batik Airlines Malaysia? Website still shows Malindo. Just realised OD has increased it KCH-KUL flight from 2 x daily to 4 x daily. That's good. Hope OD will start international services from KCH. I think KCH-CGK route is viable.

Edited by szesyn

..sharing a balik kampung shots of 9M-MSI..wishing all MW members Eid Mubarak 2016, Selamat hari raya maaf zahir batin..

DSC_1836_a_zpsbgi1ejyb.jpg

DSC_1840_a_zpsymctqt8a.jpg

DSC_1848_a_zpscuqu08a5.jpg

Selamat Hari Raya :D Looking forward to your new awesome videos.

Spotting Log 29/6/2016

M54-02

28004921652_26b064c381_o.jpg

9M-AHS

She made a left turn flying over the Cat-city after departed from 07.

28107467435_53d3a23973_o.jpg

9M-AFW

Eastbound Sibu

27493029724_5c8ff18995_o.jpg

9M-MSF

28030011771_5df93edba6_o.jpg

Followed by the catches on 4/7/2016

9M-AFU

28004884822_0100b18dcf_o.jpg

9M-AQV

28004878832_bd7d102a8a_o.jpg

Edited by Christopher Lo JK

Nice capture of the A400. I noticed that there are quite a number of AirAsia logojets that operate the KCH / BKI route.

As someone once mentioned

It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice

Exciting times ahead at KCH :good:

Edited by BC Tam

Some of the catches from my recent session..
9M-MSD operating MH2517 back to Lumpur.
28184277632_47aed33b4c_b.jpg

9M-AFW doing a Bintulu run as AK6058.
28288323765_d528cc1f0d_b.jpg

9M-LCD in new Batik Air Malaysia dress. Finally caught one of these. Another KCH regular in this livery is 9M-LCC.
28006758350_eba099d129_b.jpg

9M-MUA operating MH6103 back to Lumpur.
27672698543_b926ecd509_b.jpg

9M-LCD.. oh yea I remember her. Btw Mr. Prestley, I really appreciate it if you could share the location where you shot these from.

Yo! This location is quite dangerous. There are risks of snakes, falling down steep terrain and of course, the ever present white MAHB Hilux. To get there, go along the road that goes parallel to the runway, Jalan Stutong Baru. In the direction TOWARDS the airport. Along the way keep your eyes peeled on the left of the road There's a small little stone road which leads uphill. Park your car on the stone road, cross the ditch, climb up more stones and trek uphill. Once there, you should be right beside the airport perimeter fence. There should be a hill on your right. Climb it. Advised to wear long pants, shoes and bring gloves (if have) to grab the lalang in case you fall. Be careful not to kena kantoi by MAHB patrol Hilux. Good luck!

9M-LCD.. oh yea I remember her. Btw Mr. Prestley, I really appreciate it if you could share the location where you shot these from.

Yo! This location is quite dangerous. There are risks of snakes, falling down steep terrain and of course, the ever present white MAHB Hilux. To get there, go along the road that goes parallel to the runway, Jalan Stutong Baru. In the direction TOWARDS the airport. Along the way keep your eyes peeled on the left of the road There's a small little stone road which leads uphill. Park your car on the stone road, cross the ditch, climb up more stones and trek uphill. Once there, you should be right beside the airport perimeter fence. There should be a hill on your right. Climb it. Advised to wear long pants, shoes and bring gloves (if have) to grab the lalang in case you fall. Be careful not to kena kantoi by MAHB patrol Hilux. Good luck!

Yeah. That location is quite risk. Have to be extra careful of the surrounding. The awkward moment is the HILUX patrol car passing by when I had just climbed down and then quickly bumped into bushes to hide. :rofl: I hate the "lalang" which always cut my hands and legs. However, the things that you must aware the most are snakes, the terrain, the shattered bottle glasses on the stone road leading to the hill and any harmful creatures. And good luck, bro :)

Spotting Log 13/7/2016

9M-MWE

27745080344_9632cfec52_o.jpg

9M-AQG

She is based at KCH hub at this moment.

27745084644_b034d5dca1_o.jpg

9M-AFW

28361122025_9b88b350a7_o.jpg

9M-MSD

28282535621_19e7d32817_o.jpg

PK-TXI

This has been the second time to catch this flight that was delayed exactly on the same weekday, that is Wednesday.

28257705382_d4b6f6c0f0_o.jpg

9M-AHS

Flight commanded by a KCH-based captain

28282539491_b7899b132e_o.jpg

Entering 25 via A1

27745136004_c117caa873_o.jpg

9M-AQS

Panning time!

27745132294_bf26220d3a_o.jpg

Thank you for the info Prestley and Christopher. Wow.. that sounds quite a challenge but hey I like challenges. Definitely will do it one of these days. Here are some latest images from this morning, have fun.

DSC_3525_a_zpsopzarwd5.jpg

MI 9V-SLL flight MI372 arrived right on the dot at 09.45 hr from SIN

DSC_3472_a_zpsqp2s5pd3.jpg

9M-AHR flight AK5202 arrived earlier than MI from KUL

DSC_3515_a_zpsur3yksbn.jpg

..and a local resident RMAF M44-06

Nice one. Glad to see spotting activity in KCH active again.
What lens are you currently using?

For me I'm using the standard 18-55 kit lens. Just got my new camera yesterday so brought for a test. Looking to get a telephoto next year or so.

Mine is a Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5 - 6.3 DC AF with optical stabiliser zoom lens mounted on a veteran Nikon D90 body, been using them since 2008. Good enough for a casual photographer like myself. Mr. Prestley, that is an awesome quality for a kit lens, let me guess..Nikon

Mine is a Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5 - 6.3 DC AF with optical stabiliser zoom lens mounted on a veteran Nikon D90 body, been using them since 2008. Good enough for a casual photographer like myself. Mr. Prestley, that is an awesome quality for a kit lens, let me guess..Nikon

Yup! A Nikon D3200. Originally wanted to get a D90 as well. It may be old but it's a beast! Tested it out at Great Wall Photo. Unfortunately it's above my budget. But that's some serious good zoom you got there!