MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Prestley Shim

Kuching International Airport @ WBGG 2016

Firdaus, nice backside! :drinks:
Chris, not fair lah, yours so tajam and I'm working with a 6 year old dinosaur point and shoot :D

M-Face yesterday.

25756198326_cb71f87248_b.jpgAFT 5207 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr
Followed by Line 9M-AHR
25687182241_106f8ed03f_b.jpgAHR 5209 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr
And a big Bus from few days ago. The Panda sticker has been removed from 9M-MUD so no more panda :(
25587621836_116d87920c_b.jpgMUA by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

Have not seen -MUD in a while.

You could almost touch the blister.

Hehe don't we all wanna touch something beyond that fence :D

9M-AFP and 9M-AHG seems to be based in Kuching now. Perhaps somebody from AirAsia's dispatch team heard our groans and complains of seeing the same aircraft everyday :lol: But every once in a while some other special livery aircraft from AK will be sent here from KUL.

Blue Ranger as AK5212.

25178443213_ca2f3a5960_b.jpgAFV 5212 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

Thereafter returning to Lumpur as AK5213.

25178440093_17438d8d16_b.jpgAFV 5213 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

Eager to catch Ninetology, one of KCH base's new regular. Coming in from BKI as AK6355

25178438453_566c1e3308_b.jpgAHG 6355 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

And continuing to SBW as AK6460

25709977641_9690939fc9_b.jpgAHG 6460 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

Caught this little guy as well

25684086682_846ae9d0f9_b.jpgLLB by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

Hey Prestley, you are really good in catching those colorful AK birds. Perhaps we could get together spotting sometimes, would love to learn your tricks. And that little dude, my search reveals it belongs to Layang-Layang Aerospace S/B based at MYY and BKI.Their website http://www.layangaero.com/

Hi Firdaus, thanks. I don't have any special tricks or secret recipe lah :lol:. Just constantly monitor FR24 and I've also set up some alerts for those which I wanna spot. And yeah it belongs to Layang-Layang. The registration was a give away. 9M-LLx. Hornbill Skyways aircraft/rotorcraft are also easily identifiable based on their rego eg: 9M-HSx.

MASKargo Boeing 747-4H6F (9M-MPR) Final KCH Visit

After having read the news the night before that MASKargo will be retiring its two Boeing 747 freighter variants, I was indeed worried. What if it doesn't come back? What if I don't have the chance to see it here in Kuching again? What if this, what if that etc..But fortunate enough for me and a few other spotters, MASKargo decided to send one of its two Jumbos to Kuching today. 9M-MPR will be operating flight MH6102 from Labuan and after offloading her cargo here, she will fly back to Lumpur as MH6103 thus completing MASKargo's final ever 747 call to the port of Kuching. Thanks to my buddies sounding off in a KCH spotters' group chat, I got the information and quickly rushed to get ready to catch the Queen.
The flight was delayed by over an hour. It was scheduled to arrive in Kuching at 12.00pm but only landed at 1.14pm. Lady Luck must have been smiling on me today otherwise I would have never got the chance to catch her arrival! The sun was indeed in the mood for playing games and trolling with us today. Before the main dish, AK's Ninetology arrived in perfect bright lighting but when it was time for the main dish, the clouds ever so happily blocked the sun. Grr...

At 1:10pm, my buddies and I huddled in a car with the speaker connected to ATC caught her callsign, 'Malaysian 6102 established localizer runway 25' which was then followed by the landing clearance. Out of the car and off to our shooting positions.

At 1:12pm, we could already faintly make out the monstrous jet far in the distance even without the landing lights.
She loomed into view, the glorious sound of her engines getting louder by the second, announcing the Queen's arrival.

At 1:13pm, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
25808838016_2cdd3cb586_b.jpgMPR 6012 DOUBLE by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

25808892536_bfe670fa14_b.jpgMPR 6012 2 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

25834941035_6ec6e29b7f_b.jpgMPR 6012 3 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

After taking this picture, I just stood gobsmacked on top of my little hill of stones I stand on when I spot airplanes. That was my first time seeing a 747 fly past me, seconds from kissing the runway. And I caught it on camera! It might also be my first and probably the last time I would ever do that here in Kuching.

Refusing to see the last of her, we headed over to the cargo apron where she rested one final time before beginning her journey to her home base of KUL across the South China Sea.

25204423584_2787a2d996_b.jpgMPR 6012 4 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

25204412154_7f2200d4a6_b.jpgMPR 6012 5 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

We thought about going up to the guardhouse to ask permission for some photos beyond the border fence. That would have given us some nice side shots. It worked before but today the guard manning the guardhouse saw me approaching the gate and quickly shooed me away, not even giving me an opportunity to negotiate for a photo op of the Queen. In the end, we just stood right at the fence beside the guardhouse and I got this:

25834915745_2e9ce0ba55_b.jpgMPR 6012 6 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

The fence was a big nuisance so Oliver, (Instagram @borneospotters) came up with an idea of standing on the trunk of his car to gain some height. Got this:
25204395074_9e9214ee89_b.jpgMPR 6012 7 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

Saw the crew operating the flight having lots of pictures and selfies taken with the aircraft. One of the pilots (couldn't tell Captain or FO as he removed his bars) walked past the guardhouse and came out to where we were, luggage in hand. He asked us if we were going to stay here for long or not and we said yes. We then proceeded to have some small talk with him, and he was surprised that we knew this flight was the last for the 747. We learnt from him that the flight from Labuan ferried only about 50 tonnes of cargo and that the aircraft was capable of carrying 394 tonnes. An Alza then came and pick him up and off he went. Perhaps he's local?

After a quick lunch, we went over to Kuching Sentral hoping to catch the aircraft's departure.

At 3.45pm, she pushed back from the cargo apron to begin her final departure from KCH home to KUL.
From our spot, we could see her lining up at the end of the runway for a full length departure.
At 3:57pm she rotated smoothly with an empty load. It looked like she rotated before A3 intersection!
25808823646_dfa5a59030_b.jpgMPR 6013 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

25834898575_d3b6bef83f_b.jpgMPR 6013 2 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

A timeless design and an iconic figure to behold, easily recognizable all over the world even from the ground up.

25713950432_20a5cdcab8_b.jpgMPR 6013 3 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

At the end of everything today, I felt a little bit emotional. To know for a fact that this was the last of the iconic Jumbo from our national carrier to ever visit. It was quite a bitter pill to swallow but I am happy for I have immortalized it in photos. And I'm glad to share it with you all.

Wow Prestley my friend, this is epic, and the fact that you have both PR and PS made it beyond myth. Great write-up, thank you for sharing. Lets just hope that one day soon, although unlikely, that PP (Putrajaya) would visit or even frequent KCH.

Btw, is RN scrapping KCH route?

Wow Prestley my friend, this is epic, and the fact that you have both PR and PS made it beyond myth. Great write-up, thank you for sharing. Lets just hope that one day soon, although unlikely, that PP (Putrajaya) would visit or even frequent KCH.

Btw, is RN scrapping KCH route?

Thanks! :) Lucky to have caught both of them. Even more special as one of them has my name initials aha! But it would be unlikely for MPP to come visit unless she's still in service for the Hajj charters then maybe there's a chance.

RN scrapping KCH? What makes you say that? They better don't cause I'm flying KCH/BKI and KCH/KUL with them in Aug and Oct!

A classic baby Boeing was about to land.

17/3/2016

25586817560_afa00df08a_o.jpg

The revenue of yesterday

Had quite nice lighting.

18/3/2016

1 Malaysia Livery, AFP

25258672153_a53af5107b_o.jpg

9M-AJA

25258677553_4077456853_o.jpg

Mike Whiskey Bravo

25887411485_ca742d58af_o.jpg

I like this cutie, WSB.

25792465331_c01d4d7e2d_o.jpg

I just notice your post here. Hehe Nice video. Spotted the badminton court which is near to my house. :)

Thanks and thanks for the photos. 've always wondered why pilots don't land on 07 more often. My cousin-nephew is a FO for AK and he says its because of the low hills along the flight path approach towards 07 but its not like one is landing in Paro or Kai Tak. But I guess pilots have protocols to follow and cannot just decide to land on any runway they wish. Perhaps its not their call.

Thanks! :) Lucky to have caught both of them. Even more special as one of them has my name initials aha! But it would be unlikely for MPP to come visit unless she's still in service for the Hajj charters then maybe there's a chance.

RN scrapping KCH? What makes you say that? They better don't cause I'm flying KCH/BKI and KCH/KUL with them in Aug and Oct!

Unreliable source, but I would not be surprise though http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/03/21/liow-suspension-of-rayani-air-possible/

25860908182_f66234a670_b.jpgMXA 2536 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

Finally caught her today. She's quite an elusive one.

Beauty! Cannot wait for the B744 (9M-MPP?) retro to get into active service. I think there is a nostalgia for retro liveries because they remind us of a time when our airline was quite the pride of the sky - Wings of Gold - as was the name of the old inflight magazine :) Today, the story is not quite the same any more.

An unexpected catch this morning..and drizzling, RMAF band of brothers, C130H M30-04 from 14 Skn Labuan and C130H-MP M30-09 from 20 Skn Subang, just 20 min apart from each other. Wonder what were they doing here..

DSC_0910_a_zpsyirhqlam.jpg

TUDM M30-04

DSC_0860_a_zpsz8lpuhw7.jpg

TUDM M30-09

An unexpected catch this morning..and drizzling, RMAF band of brothers, C130H M30-04 from 14 Skn Labuan and C130H-MP M30-09 from 20 Skn Subang, just 20 min apart from each other. Wonder what were they doing here..

DSC_0910_a_zpsyirhqlam.jpg

TUDM M30-04

DSC_0860_a_zpsz8lpuhw7.jpg

TUDM M30-09

Fabulous shots of those flying legends! :clapping:

My shots of typical traffic on 19/3/2016. :wacko:

Had caught Niner Mike Alpha Tango Mike before AQZ which was flying from JHB arrived.

25788806910_74ec034833_o.jpg

25969133762_b34f5365a6_o.jpg

25459089923_6b698f47d2_o.jpg

26035739896_668cfa9a74_o.jpg

26035741676_8bbcd2d40a_o.jpg

9M-FFF ? why out of range ?

Unreliable source, but I would not be surprise though http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/03/21/liow-suspension-of-rayani-air-possible/

Ooh yeah that. Will really suck if that happened. But their BKI-KCH flight yesterday actually arrived early! Perhaps sign of gradual improvements?

Beauty! Cannot wait for the B744 (9M-MPP?) retro to get into active service. I think there is a nostalgia for retro liveries because they remind us of a time when our airline was quite the pride of the sky - Wings of Gold - as was the name of the old inflight magazine :) Today, the story is not quite the same any more.

Thanks! 9M-MPP in her new colors look absolutely stunning! I'm quite confident under Mueller's leadership, our flag carrier will slowly regain its glory slowly. I have confidence in that.

Nice shot of the Retro Jet!

Makseh! :D

Glad to share my catch..

Nice! I'm guessing you took this in the morning since Raya 757 only comes in the early AMs. What time did it arrive?

Perhaps they're being activated to Sabah? Might be a short stop before continuing up north.

Fabulous shots of those flying legends! :clapping:

My shots of typical traffic on 19/3/2016. :wacko:

Had caught Niner Mike Alpha Tango Mike before AQZ which was flying from JHB arrived.

Ninetology sharp! That's quite a nose down for FFF.

Just saw on KIA's Wikipedia page that Cebu Pacific will be doing MNL-KCH starting Sept 14. Can anyone confirm?

Ooh yeah that. Will really suck if that happened. But their BKI-KCH flight yesterday actually arrived early! Perhaps sign of gradual improvements?

Thanks! 9M-MPP in her new colors look absolutely stunning! I'm quite confident under Mueller's leadership, our flag carrier will slowly regain its glory slowly. I have confidence in that.

Makseh! :D

Nice! I'm guessing you took this in the morning since Raya 757 only comes in the early AMs. What time did it arrive?

Perhaps they're being activated to Sabah? Might be a short stop before continuing up north.

Ninetology sharp! That's quite a nose down for FFF.

Just saw on KIA's Wikipedia page that Cebu Pacific will be doing MNL-KCH starting Sept 14. Can anyone confirm?

RYA actually arrived almost mid-day around 11.00 am when I had that shot. Cebu Pacific..no..really??, can't find it KCH wiki. Anyway would be good addition to HX end of April. BTW is anyone out catching AK Prince Lubricant livery?