MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Prestley Shim

Kuching International Airport @ WBGG 2016

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm visiting KCH until next weekend and was interested in going spotting. I'm trying to suss out vantage points. Christopher Lo, where were you standing to get those AK A320 taxiing photos? And Prestley, nice area for arrivals. Any recommended focal ranges? I'm using a 100-400k2 and 24-105 on a crop body.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm visiting KCH until next weekend and was interested in going spotting. I'm trying to suss out vantage points. Christopher Lo, where were you standing to get those AK A320 taxiing photos? And Prestley, nice area for arrivals. Any recommended focal ranges? I'm using a 100-400k2 and 24-105 on a crop body.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards

Yo! I believe we spoke on Instagram. The taxi shots from Chris and I were from the cargo area. We went right up to the fence and stuck our lenses through them :diablo: As for focal ranges a standard kit lens 18-55 will do for most locations but of course anything longer will always be good. But it is adviced to exercise caution at the cargo area. Some of the airport authorities don't take well to spotters lingering around taking pictures but some are okay with it. Just last two weeks I got yelled at by one.

Harimau came for a visit today. Haven't seen her in a while.

24934539590_e0a0c364c5_b.jpgAFI by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

I believe we did too! Thanks for your help. The guard the other day was pretty chilled and allowed me to walk in to take a side shot albeit from near his post. Where did you take those arrival shots from?

Yo! I believe we spoke on Instagram. The taxi shots from Chris and I were from the cargo area. We went right up to the fence and stuck our lenses through them :diablo: As for focal ranges a standard kit lens 18-55 will do for most locations but of course anything longer will always be good. But it is adviced to exercise caution at the cargo area. Some of the airport authorities don't take well to spotters lingering around taking pictures but some are okay with it. Just last two weeks I got yelled at by one.

Harimau came for a visit today. Haven't seen her in a while.
24934539590_e0a0c364c5_b.jpgAFI by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

[post=http://www.theborneopost.com/2016/02/28/liow-rm5-million-sals-to-enable-kia-accommodate-more-aircraft/][/post]

So according to this article and the minister, right now runway 07 is not supposed/unable to be used for landing?

But I've landed in KCH using Runway 07 before - here's the video -

selling some cosmetic to the governor's wife?

bahahahaha at least now we know where she gets her mojo :ninja:

But I've landed in KCH using Runway 07 before

Yes of course 07 can be used for landings and it is no problem. But the media words can make some things sound a little bit twisted than the truth hehe :acute:

But I've landed in KCH using Runway 07 before - here's the video.....

A wild guess, MH642 SIN-KCH ?

A wild guess, MH642 SIN-KCH ?

Yes, that is correct. The pilot however had to really pull the brakes to ensure that the plane can turn into the taxiway before the old 025 turnpad. I thought he could have just let the plane go a little further and turn at the next turnoff. Anyway, it makes more sense for flights coming from the west to land at Runway 07 as there is no need to make that wide circle with its double right turns to come in at 025 each time.

Anyway, it makes more sense for flights coming from the west to land at Runway 07 as there is no need to make that wide circle with its double right turns to come in at 025 each time.

If 07 is to be used more for arrival I guess spotters here would have to find new locations :D

DSC_0437_b_zpsbdjyz04x.jpg

9M-LNL

Nice and sharp! Anyone knows if this is one of the ones with LED landing lights?

If 07 is active, I can just walk to the spotting location since it is not far from my house. :acute:

These pictures were taken on 29/2/2016(Leap Day).

9M-AQY lining up 25. So yeah, it entered the runway via intersection A2.

25496953556_52a80798bd_o.jpg

Alpha Quebec Bravo~

25523109615_3d0c6fed82_o.jpg

A MH Boeing 737-8H6, 9M-MXR was on final for 25.

24896362983_c790f1b048_o.jpg

A side body shot of MXR.

24892576754_51a56751ae_o.jpg

So good to see KCH spotters posting actively here again. Well done, guys and thanks for sharing! :clapping:

Great photos Chris!

If 07 is active, I can just walk to the spotting location since it is not far from my house. :acute:

These pictures were taken on 29/2/2016(Leap Day).

9M-AQY lining up 25. So yeah, it entered the runway via intersection A2.

25496953556_52a80798bd_o.jpg

Alpha Quebec Bravo~

25523109615_3d0c6fed82_o.jpg

A MH Boeing 737-8H6, 9M-MXR was on final for 25.

24896362983_c790f1b048_o.jpg

A side body shot of MXR.

24892576754_51a56751ae_o.jpg

Photos taken on 12/3/2016

AQV putting her teeth up :acute:

25724699536_3fe64b308a_o.jpg

The yellow shinny parts of the flap and slat :air_kiss:

25724703856_098d2b1129_o.jpg

Welcome Prest for the next shot of the green "shy-shy" aircraft which is Alpha Hotel Romeo!