MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mr.Bandit

Malindo New Routes & Destinations

I use the Skyscanner app for all my travel bookings for my PER-PEN-PER trips 8-10 times per year.

This week I've started noticing some really odd Malindo search combinations such as:

PER-DPS-KL-PEN the first sector is on Batik and this bizarre one PER-KL-SIN-PEN.

To be fair to OD they are much cheaper than MH for travelling at peak holiday periods in early Jan.

Seems OD cant allign their operations at the moment. One of the major issues folks have leak is Etops rating and flightplan requires both captain and co-pilots to be rated and took classes for it however training and sim constraint slot in Jakarta means longer time to get FO's online for line training and OD already having issues with staff shortage. This is why OD needs its own 737ng sim instead of churning out quick cockpit crew but each batch with different classes taken. This has sometimes and most of the time cause pre planned flights to india and aussie to deviate slightly and remain closer to land thereby causing the flights block time taking longer. This brought on by the fact operation is unable to set different flying block time for certain regional sectors as u may have etops rated capts and fo crew to ply the straight flightplan today then having non etops rated crew being prepped for route on the next day. These combination cause a very long domino affect on certain aircraft pattern results the serious amount of retiming and rescheduling.

When OD151/152 and 155/156 is operated by a non EDTO/ETOPS aircraft flying over DPS then inland over Western Australia doesn't actually increase the flight time by anything significant. Edited by Tom/PER

I use the Skyscanner app for all my travel bookings for my PER-PEN-PER trips 8-10 times per year.

This week I've started noticing some really odd Malindo search combinations such as:

PER-DPS-KL-PEN the first sector is on Batik and this bizarre one PER-KL-SIN-PEN.

To be fair to OD they are much cheaper than MH for travelling at peak holiday periods in early Jan.

When OD151/152 and 155/156 is operated by a non EDTO/ETOPS aircraft flying over DPS then inland over Western Australia doesn't actually increase the flight time by anything significant.

Aussie routes are not affected much its mostly the west bound routes to india, the difference is quite significant when the plane has to do nearly 4 long sectors in a day.

Edited by jahur

My problem stems just from one fatal booking move made by OD with disastrous domino effect . I am pretty sure it was due a person in ticketing office with IQ of mean of general population /2 who made the mistake in KLIA yesterday.

Edited by V Wong

1) Malindo Air from December 2017 adding service to Cambodia, with the offering of Kuala Lumpur – Phnom Penh route. This route will be served on daily basis with Boeing 737-800, effective 01DEC17.

OD580 KUL0735 – 0830PNH 738 D
OD581 PNH0930 – 1220KUL 738 D

2) Malindo Air once again is expanding service to India, with its overall 7th route scheduled from 21DEC17. The airline’s Boeing 737-900ER aircraft is scheduled to operate Kuala Lumpur – Bangalore route, opened for bookings since last week. This route will be served twice a week.

OD241 KUL2040 – 2220BLR 739 47
OD242 BLR2315 – 0600+1KUL 739 47

Edited by Mr.Bandit

I don’t tend to fly OD much these days due to the price increases and awful OTP.

My wife recently few KUL-SIN-KUL and on the return leg last Monday she booked OD 804 instead of her usual flight OD802

Not sure what happened but OD802 was landed 3 hours late due to the inbound flight being delayed. Fortunately OD804 left arrived more or less onetime.

This got me curious because as per FR24 several OD flights were 1+ hours delayed.

On Monday OD801/2 was operated by 9M-LNS and I can see the preceding flight from PEN landed early so Im curious why OD801 left 3.5 hours late. Was it due to tech issues or crew problems?

On another matter I don’t see much news these days about OD.

OD have dropped their luggage allowance from 30kgs down to 25kgs on PER services, not sure if this is a network wide reduction.

noticed that as well on the SIN route

It is network wide reduction since last january. My morning 8am KUL-BKI flight was delayed more than an hour few weeks ago due to no cabin crew available. Strange... true enough the cabin crew arrived at our designated gate 45min post original departure time.

It is network wide reduction since last january. My morning 8am KUL-BKI flight was delayed more than an hour few weeks ago due to no cabin crew available. Strange... true enough the cabin crew arrived at our designated gate 45min post original departure time.

Could be delay from initial sectors thereby creating a domino effect. Could be a different set of crew not from original roster or standbys in the mixed if there is no crew. Could also be them bursting duty hours but on paper they still legally can do extra 2-3 hours but require consent from all crew before undertaking the extra hours. It could also be a combination of all three. This is quite common occurrence nowadays in all airlines in Malaysia. Cabin crew on Narrowbody doing more than 8hours duty Sometimes 14hours with consent due to logistics. Edited by jahur

OD is flying a host of other charters lately from BKI. Maybe that is putting a toll on manpower?

Could be delay from initial sectors thereby creating a domino effect. Could be a different set of crew not from original roster or standbys in the mixed if there is no crew. Could also be them bursting duty hours but on paper they still legally can do extra 2-3 hours but require consent from all crew before undertaking the extra hours. It could also be a combination of all three. This is quite common occurrence nowadays in all airlines in Malaysia. Cabin crew on Narrowbody doing more than 8hours duty Sometimes 14hours with consent due to logistics.

What's in it for the crew to give consent? Better pay rate for those consented hours?

What's in it for the crew to give consent? Better pay rate for those consented hours?

Fatigue plays in thats why have to see whether the crew wants to continue the flights or not if it exceed their stated duty time. Here's where service level potentially dips. Your already down to 4 crew and you have to extend for 5th sector and you haven't taken account to delays that cannot be avoided like delays from atc clearance etc.. Sure they'll be plenty of takers for the extra income but a lot will be downright tired after 3 days of continuous 8-9 hour duty sometimes more and this is where fussy passengers will hail in tirades of complain and crew probably got no energy left to rectify.

Edited by jahur

Any news on OD's KUL-DPS-MEL route?

Probably expected in June once man power issues are sorted

wonder if they are targeting load ex KUL or DPS.....

Will be both. But ex KL loads are usually very little connecting onwards.