MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mr.Bandit

Malindo New Routes & Destinations

After a PR meltdown on its FB wall, Malindo acknowledged they have operational issue due to two aircraft grounding relating to technical issue.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2017/07/02/grounded-malindo-aircraft-causes-delays-and-rescheduling/

The aircraft captain of my 7 hours delayed departure told the passengers "they have excess aircraft and crew always on standby to serve...."

I am guessing poor management then if that is the case.

He said the delays were due to the festive season.

The caotain also went on to say that some of the blame goes to KLIA as they didn't have enough staff to refuel the plane.

The caotain also went on to say that some of the blame goes to KLIA as they didn't have enough staff to refuel the plane.

Were the delays only on OD's flights, or other airlines flights as well ?

The aircraft captain of my 7 hours delayed departure told the passengers "they have excess aircraft and crew always on standby to serve...."

Last i heard they have insufficient FO's that captains are pulled to sit on the right seat and the FO's scheduling are hectic that many opt to take MC during standby roster to avoid screwing up their needed rest. If it were due to festive season MH and AK would be having the same delay level. Many new fresh FO are still queing for Sim and remain offline. I have a friend who actually took nearly one year later after his sim clearance to get online with observation and solo not to forget that most of them have to pay for their own type rating and spend months sitting at home. As for late refuel Not sure about their ground service could've been less staff reported to work in KLAS during raya week hence longer turnaround but this also no problem with other airlines.

Edited by jahur

Were the delays only on OD's flights, or other airlines flights as well ?

Not sure about AirAsia but MH715 was about 25 minutes late only on the same day.

I heard the same thing, pilot shortage. Current crews working to the max.

The ME3 and other carriers around the region have lured away many experienced pilots and co-pilot. Hopefully OD problem will be sorted soon.

Where does Lion Group trains their pilots? With such gargantuan scale of operation, I would think it will be much more cost saving to have their own training centre.

I think they used "technical reason" as reason as it is best acceptable and "valid" reason why flight cannot depart on time. Better than saying "Sorry,we don't have enough pilot and cabin crew. Here you meal voucher, go eat far far away."

The ME3 and other carriers around the region have lured away many experienced pilots and co-pilot. Hopefully OD problem will be sorted soon.

Where does Lion Group trains their pilots? With such gargantuan scale of operation, I would think it will be much more cost saving to have their own training centre.

I think they used "technical reason" as reason as it is best acceptable and "valid" reason why flight cannot depart on time. Better than saying "Sorry,we don't have enough pilot and cabin crew. Here you meal voucher, go eat far far away."OD

OD crew are sent randomly around usually in Indonesia and Thailand to get sim training done and those place also difficult to acquire slot. If they requested to do at MH it is even worse to get a slot in the sim 737ng and it is always in use 24/7 with very few off time periods. This is one of the reason airlines are looking for already type rated pilots instead of fresh flying school grads.

Edited by jahur

I am not sure it is only just the ME3. There is tremendous demand for pilots all over Asia.

Even Airasia might have lured crew over to them because their management policy is to have the best pay for pilots so that they don't lose their trained pilots to other airlines. Airasia also has a pilot shortage problem and it is one of the factors that was slowing down their growth the past two years.

OD8115 currently enroute KUL-XCH (Christmas Island), I've not seen this flight pop up before, although I do recall Malindo once touted flights to XCH. Being operated by -LNR.

Any ideas?

The issue is easy. Money. You are not willing to pay more money, with the current going rate, you lose pilots. Supply and demand.

You are not willing to pay for sim slots because u think all can be covered in Jakarta, and not willing to buy own sim, you cant control your training planning.

And the head dont even bother to communicate with staff, not even a simple hari raya greeting. Staff already sacrificed a lot, taking a lot of brunt from disgruntled passengers.

One guy in the office need to stop calling people 'monkey', 'bloody fool', 'bodoh' etc. and look at himself in the mirror. Monkey see monkey do, and monkey fcuked up big time, but this is not the first time its happening.

Pak Rusdi really need to change his man helming this company. Take someone who engage with staffs, not some fools.

The issue is easy. Money. You are not willing to pay more money, with the current going rate, you lose pilots. Supply and demand.

You are not willing to pay for sim slots because u think all can be covered in Jakarta, and not willing to buy own sim, you cant control your training planning.

And the head dont even bother to communicate with staff, not even a simple hari raya greeting. Staff already sacrificed a lot, taking a lot of brunt from disgruntled passengers.

One guy in the office need to stop calling people 'monkey', 'bloody fool', 'bodoh' etc. and look at himself in the mirror. Monkey see monkey do, and monkey fcuked up big time, but this is not the first time its happening.

Pak Rusdi really need to change his man helming this company. Take someone who engage with staffs, not some fools.

Omg, that's called work place bullying. Seriously?? Sadly our labour law isn't as great as those in western world where is such case, the company will be sued for mental distress and bullying. Well Western laws isn't all perfect, at least it takes care of employees' well being to ensure well being is safeguarded.

Pak Rusdi could have easily negotiate with Boeing and Airbus training centre since they have bought so many aircraft from both parties. Silk Air managed, thru her mother of course, to arm twisted Boeing into setting up training centre in Singapore, packaged in training for cockpit, cabin and ground crew into the deal to switch over to Boeing. I remember Airbus did it with AirAsia too. Penny wise, pound foolish. They would have hit by millions euro fines if ASEAN is as competent and competitive as EU.

Chandran Rama Muthy showed up in Perth the other week when (PK) Batik commenced DPS-PER-DPS services, which surprised me.

Has he changed positions?

OD8115 currently enroute KUL-XCH (Christmas Island), I've not seen this flight pop up before, although I do recall Malindo once touted flights to XCH. Being operated by -LNR.

Any ideas?

I think it has something to do with this: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/270216/malindo-air-files-christmas-island-charter-schedule-from-dec-2016/

I do not feel those delays over the past few days had anything to do with the fleet grounding, their fleets size at KUL are growing fast and the new routes are not. More to do with their management and manpower permutation I believe.

LNY is currently airborne operating OD817 PEN-SIN, is this a recently introduced service?

Yes that's rite Tom. A new daily service started a few weeks ago.

Has OD dropped their KUL-AMD-JED-AMD-KUL OD267/268 rotations? Last flight appears to of arrived into KL on 2/7.

Prob a temporary seasonal cessation just ahead of the Hajj period as that route prob catered to largely Umrah pax.

Flight stopped due to Hajj season. Probably will restart using the A330 later.

You will also see a sharp drop in wkly frequencies by MH on the JED route, for same reason. No umrah pax, no biz pax as the country goes on holiday for about 2wks.

Flight stopped due to Hajj season. Probably will restart using the A330 later.

Thanks Captain and congrats on your new command too.

Has anyone been able to visually confirm whether -LNC and -LND have been fitted with IFE? Charlie is still operating regional

flights and Delta has been operating long EDTO sectors?

Yes that's rite Tom. A new daily service started a few weeks ago

20139798_10213853774926441_527112867838120106551_10213853774486430_5833127453508

Was on OD 818 a few days ago. Total pax count 14 only ...

The return OD817 was barely half filled ...