MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mr.Bandit

Malindo New Routes & Destinations

This is something I don't understand as well, is weird enough for them to take over an hour to turn a narrowbody aircraft around!

Will be logging OD1651, OD2106, OD 2103 & MH 2598 this coming weekend...I am ready to sample OD for the first time; let see how it goes. But judging from the past OTP, I am prepared for the delays perhaps...

Im not sure but they seem very laid back and in no rush.

Ive been looking at FR 24 and see that many flights on my route are ok but from time to time they see to have big issues for a few days to a week.

Rapid expansion is no joke - OD took on a lot of new B737s and ATRs in the past two years. I think they are still catching up on manpower requirements. So, until they are properly resourced, there will be problems. I hope that the DCA and Mavcom are watching them closely so that safety is not compromised.

I booked KTM flight for my foreign workers for departure on 10th April 2017, original departure time was 12:15pm, OD sent a message stating the flight is rescheduled from initial 9:20am to 9:50am. I was confused for a second....:p Change of summer and winter timetable??

Not to mention the weird pricing! How can Economy Flex be 899 1 way when Business Flex is 499????

I've only ever seen Economy Flex be very close to, or even slightly more expensive than Business Promo, but never Business Flex.

If Business Flex is really that much cheaper then something isn't quite right

;)

Recently, my friend received an email from OD mentioning her flight from JHB to KUL been changed to SZB.

i don't know if other OD pax had been experienced this problem before.

Kul-jhb-kul has been outright cancelled. All JHB service from SZB now.

This is something I don't understand as well, is weird enough for them to take over an hour to turn a narrowbody aircraft around!

Will be logging OD1651, OD2106, OD 2103 & MH 2598 this coming weekend...I am ready to sample OD for the first time; let see how it goes. But judging from the past OTP, I am prepared for the delays perhaps...

Here is my sharing post flights in narrative.

(A) OD1651 06/04/17

2 Captains, 5 FA, slightly 100 over passengers, 10 minutes early arrival; brand new aircraft (9M-LNZ) transferred from sister carrier, Batik Air.

2 muffins, 1 sausage bun, 1 mineral water, 1 cup of orange juice.

Predicable turbulence dealt in a professional manner, overall very nice first experience with OD.

Sadly , this route is no more again in less than 2 weeks time.

(B) OD2106 06/04/17

Retimed notice received prior to 4pm, delayed about an hour; aircraft arriving late from DMK.

Same as 1st leg, 2 flight deck crew with 5 FA.

Another set of crew deadhead to PEN (believed to be operating the next day morning flight back to KUL).

Loads was pretty healthy. Received one of Malindo's troll master: 9M-LNC. One of the passenger even ask the cabin crew: No TV??

Replied was: This is a new plane....

Landed at PEN at 12.10am. Service was a cup of Orange Juice...

© OD 2103 08/04/17 review:

No retimed notice issued this time, upon seeing FIDS, only found out that flight had been delayed slightly by 35 minutes. What a luck to be able to on board on 1 of the only 6 B737-900ER in Malaysia as originally I didn't plan to be on this flight. Due to a sudden jump at ticket price by MH at the time of booking, I had no choice but to switch over.

Loads are almost full, few empty seats only. Many Indians, Bangladesh and even few Caucasians on board which connects to other destinations upon arrival at KUL.

Cabin Crews greets passengers well and actively assisting in the boarding process as many foreign passengers adopt "free seating". Service was a cup of orange juice. A small pillow in Batik Air prints was placed in each seat which was a nice touch (I think only on the 900 series as they fly longer routes normally).

The shortfalls comes when the flight deck decides to use half of the runway for takeoff rolls, they gave the crews members under 30 seconds intervals to prepare themselves in jump seats which was a "Phew" to me; pity those crews, luckily they react quick and grab an empty seats as soon as possible.

Landing approach is good.

(D) MH2598 08/04/17 review:

Upon disembark from OD2103, went on to do my bag drop for this flight before doing some layover visit at a mall nearby.

Loads are low for this flight, aircraft deployed is 9M-MSF.

Meals choices were between fish rice in SiChuan style or Chicken Murtabak, I went for rice while my brother went for Murtabak.

2 male crews looks still young, 1 female crew and 1 senior FA in red kebaya. Now the "fun things" that occurred was the Senior FA announced this flight was bound for KCH, we thought she will correct it when repeat the announcement in English; but NO! Until her subordinates went in front only then the PA rang again and apologized to passengers for the error. I wander what's wrong, is Senior FA in red kebaya, rarely seen in domestic flights now I believe.

Flight left KUL for MYY on time. By 10pm after late dinner, they dimmed the lights for passengers to get some rest. Arrival on time at 11.20 pm with some "hard brakes" and only half runways were used.

(E) Conclusion

Final thoughts for Malindo Air:

With the ongoing "trial and errors" traits plus frequent delays and cancellation of flights / routes despite being in operation for 4 years, it is not advisable to buy their flights way in advance.

That aside, judging from my experience with OD1651, OD2106 and OD 2103; will I chose them again for future travel arrangement? Definitely a yes, the cabin crew out-performed Malaysia Airlines counterparts now; flight deck crew I think not bad also. Ongoing influx of new planes from Lion Air's huge order book is an added bonus.

Things to improve would be on time performance and bring back Buy On Board meals for flights that is more than an hour. Really not enough to have complimentary snacks only when it is meals time.

Can I ask you guys. Malindo does not ply Miri - KUL anymore? Was trying to compare the fares for June hols. But there are no flights available.

Can I ask you guys. Malindo does not ply Miri - KUL anymore? Was trying to compare the fares for June hols. But there are no flights available.

loads are uneven they are refocusing towards china and australia. BKI got downed to just 2-3x daily compared to 5x previously.

Today last flight

if they want to represent themselves as full service carrier and attract business travelers, they need to ensure their dispatch reliabilty is not affected by introduction of new routes.

Well, they will need to have a pool of core routes that must be totally reliable and competitive. Once they have that, they can think about launching risky new routes that may or may not have the full support of travellers.

Looks like OD is going to start SIN-PEN finally. Was browsing for flights from SIN to PEN in June when non-stop OD flights popped up. Only one flight a day though, doing a PEN-SIN-PEN routing.

Looks like OD is going to start SIN-PEN finally. Was browsing for flights from SIN to PEN in June when non-stop OD flights popped up. Only one flight a day though, doing a PEN-SIN-PEN routing.

They were going to launch it back 2015 or 2016, but changed their minds after accepting bookings. The refund process took months.

OD is also reducing a few regional flights. DMK is going from 3 to 2 daily. I used to thought they were a decent airline but I have stopped flying with them simply because their operations are unreliable and have shoddy OTP.

After 3 or 4 good sectors to/from SIN over the past few weeks I’m sorry to say that today they have messed up again with OD807 being delayed to 17:25

This morning trip case was showing an onetime departure but a 135 min late arrival. When I used ONCI it showed a delayed status with both Dep & Arr changing. finally at around 12:00 I finally received an email but no sms confirming the retime.
Arrived at KLIA only to find that it been moved to 18:00 however at around 17:25 the inbound flight arrived from about 40 mins late from Hanoi. It seemed to take a good 5-6 mins before the air bridge was connected.
On another note we have LNG (739) taking us today and looking at the ground power and air con pipes being attached it looks like the APU is out. m wondering if this was fixed since my last trip on LNG on 12 Dec (OD2201)
Not sure if other routes are impacted as much as SIN but the regulars I see on the flights who commute are getting very fed up with Malindo.
Frankly in they cant run a proper service then they should be banned from having any more routes until they show that they are competent.

On the contrary, in my experience...OD1622 was pushed back on time but departed late due to weather...I was late arriving from the previous HKG on KA...despite arriving at the counter at 5.45pm for the 6.30pm flight...they accepted my luggage and let me proceed to the departure gate...👍...the pizza they served was hot and deliciously appetising...except the apple crumble...which was a little undercook...

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

I'm more surprised if my OD flight is on time. Their 737 flights have a particularly bad OTP, in my experience. For a simple SIN-KUL hop, the delay can be 1.5 hours, followed by a 45 minute wait at the baggage carousel (I realise this might have more to do with MAHB than OD)...for what was supposed to be a 45 minute flight.

I once waited one whole hour for my bag at KLIA T2. Most passengers from SIN were apparently connecting to the subcontinent, so the bags needed a long time to be sorted out ::80::

I'm more surprised if my OD flight is on time. Their 737 flights have a particularly bad OTP, in my experience. For a simple SIN-KUL hop, the delay can be 1.5 hours, followed by a 45 minute wait at the baggage carousel (I realise this might have more to do with MAHB than OD)...for what was supposed to be a 45 minute flight.

I once waited one whole hour for my bag at KLIA T2. Most passengers from SIN were apparently connecting to the subcontinent, so the bags needed a long time to be sorted out ::80::

only in KUL that they have "caste" system wherein OD's baggage will be put on hold to give way to MH's later flight....i saw it happened before....

The average waiting time for baggage (without priority tag) at kul t1 and t2 is about 40 minutes and 60 minutes respectively.

The average waiting time for baggage (without priority tag) at kul t1 and t2 is about 40 minutes and 60 minutes respectively.

is this their SOP and where can we as the user who apparently pays the airport tax can confirm the existence of such SOP?

That is why they put up sign saying you have plenty of time to do some shopping.

That is why they put up sign saying you have plenty of time to do some shopping.

and you wonder how busier airport like BKK could do it in lesser time than KUL even though the plane is parked at remote bay, and yes that is minus the snaking immigration que, still they are faster than KUL.

and you wonder how busier airport like BKK could do it in lesser time than KUL even though the plane is parked at remote bay, and yes that is minus the snaking immigration que, still they are faster than KUL.

Had to wait my bag for 1hour in bkk twice on et and tg with 45min of immigration queing. Different story in DMK tho, bag already on the couresal when i went down the escalator while immigration queue took about 30minutes in dmk travelling with ak.