MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Eddy Liew

Malindo to be Rebranded as Batik Air Malaysia; Moved to MTB; to Partner ex MAS Codeshare Airlines

6 hours ago, flee said:

Lion Group should have a few spare A333s as Thai Lion was closed down and they are still receiving factory fresh A339s.

Apparently they are getting ex D7 planes. 

4 hours ago, Pall said:

Apparently they are getting ex D7 planes. 

There is a frame that was delivered on 10 Dec 2022 - PK-LDW MSN 1098.

This is a Lion Group aircraft leased from ICBC.

Not sure what is the status of this aircraft as it is still flying from Indonesia.

Edited by flee

2 hours ago, flee said:

There is a frame that was delivered on 10 Dec 2022 - PK-LDW MSN 1098.

This is a Lion Group aircraft leased from ICBC.

Not sure what is the status of this aircraft as it is still flying from Indonesia.

Apparently PK-LDW has been reassigned to Batik Air Malaysia with same registration, not sure how true planespotters.net. While in Indonesia operation, she was doing CGK-MED and CGK-JED. 

Edited by JuliusWong

BATIK AIR MALAYSIA 1Q23 TOKYO FREQUENCY CHANGES

Batik Air Malaysia in the last few days filed planned operational frequency on Kuala Lumpur – Tokyo Narita route, in the first quarter of 2023. As of 16DEC22, the airline’s planned 4 weekly Boeing 737 MAX 8 service, previously scheduled between 15DEC22 and 14JAN23, is now being extended to 15MAR23.

Planned 1 daily service is now scheduled from 17MAR23.

OD680 KUL1255 – 2050NRT 7M8 x246
OD681 NRT2200 – 0455+1KUL 7M8 x246

Most of us may have read or heard of this news:

Loke tells Batik Air to apologise, make amends to stranded flyers

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2022/12/27/loke-tells-batik-air-to-apologise-make-amends-to-stranded-flyers/

PETALING JAYA: Transport minister Loke Siew Fook has called for budget airline Batik Air to be held accountable for an eight-hour delay for a flight to Kuching which resulted in passengers being stranded at KLIA on Friday night.

He was responding to one of the passengers, Firdaus Jailan, who posted a video on social media, which has gone viral, about the incident involving Batik Air, formerly known as Malindo Air.

I wonder why would Batik Air keeps adding new destinations when their current fleet and manpower are unable handle the operation. So much for rebranding to deliver "quality services" to passengers. LOL......

1 hour ago, JuliusWong said:

Most of us may have read or heard of this news:

Loke tells Batik Air to apologise, make amends to stranded flyers

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2022/12/27/loke-tells-batik-air-to-apologise-make-amends-to-stranded-flyers/

PETALING JAYA: Transport minister Loke Siew Fook has called for budget airline Batik Air to be held accountable for an eight-hour delay for a flight to Kuching which resulted in passengers being stranded at KLIA on Friday night.

He was responding to one of the passengers, Firdaus Jailan, who posted a video on social media, which has gone viral, about the incident involving Batik Air, formerly known as Malindo Air.

I wonder why would Batik Air keeps adding new destinations when their current fleet and manpower are unable handle the operation. So much for rebranding to deliver "quality services" to passengers. LOL......

Update: Batik Air delay was because pilots exceeded flight time limit, says Loke

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2022/12/28/batik-air-delay-was-because-pilots-exceeded-flight-time-limit-says-loke

SEPANG: The eight-hour delay involving a batik Air flight last Friday (Dec 23) to Kuching was caused by a diversion to Langkawi and for a new crew to board as the pilots had exceeded the permitted flight hour limit, says Anthony Loke.

The Transport Minister said the matter could have been handled better with proper communications.

He said he had received the full report from Batik Air, formerly known as Malindo Air, after he told the airline to apologise to passengers for the delay.

"The aircraft was forced to divert to Langkawi, and once they reached there, the pilots exceeded their flying hours.

BATIK AIR MALAYSIA PLANS HONG KONG SERVICE RESUMPTION IN LATE-MARCH 2023

Batik Air Malaysia at the launch of Northern summer 2023 season intends to resume Kuala Lumpur – Hong Kong route, based on schedule listing. The airline intends to resume service on 26MAR23, with Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft scheduled on daily basis.

OD605 KUL1015 – 1415HKG 7M8 D
OD606 HKG1515 – 1905KUL 7M8 D

"Congratulations to Batik Air on achieving this amazing feat, flying a Boeing 737-800 from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur (ground distance: 6,306 km) in a flight time of 8.12 hours!

We are determined to support the airline in ensuring their fleet is well-maintained to continue achieving more impressive records!"

May be an image of text that says "Dviation Determined Done Dviation Different-Determined Congratulations to our esteemed customer Batik Air on achieving The World's Longest Schedule Route for a narrow body aircraft VaLarSi B 37MAXE Batik MALAYSIA"

https://www.facebook.com/DviationGroup/photos/a.271871812913263/5220525778047817/

58 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

"Congratulations to Batik Air on achieving this amazing feat, flying a Boeing 737-800 from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur (ground distance: 6,306 km) in a flight time of 8.12 hours!

We are determined to support the airline in ensuring their fleet is well-maintained to continue achieving more impressive records!"

https://www.facebook.com/DviationGroup/photos/a.271871812913263/5220525778047817/

It should be the passengers who are congratulated for surviving such an ordeal :p

21 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

It should be the passengers who are congratulated for surviving such an ordeal :p

LOL.....Royal Brunei is also using A320neo for its BWN-MEL non-stop flight, clocking 7 hours 10 mins on its return leg. At least RBA has IFE and complimentary meals, Batik Air has literally nothing. You need to purchase luggage allowance, meals and there isn't any wifi IFE to stream. I wonder how well will its new business model pans out in long run. They are launching many new mid-to-long haul routes.

11 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

LOL.....Royal Brunei is also using A320neo for its BWN-MEL non-stop flight, clocking 7 hours 10 mins on its return leg. At least RBA has IFE and complimentary meals, Batik Air has literally nothing. You need to purchase luggage allowance, meals and there isn't any wifi IFE to stream. I wonder how well will its new business model pans out in long run. They are launching many new mid-to-long haul routes.

I guess that they are trying to replace Airasia X - D7 is finding it challenging to reactivate its fleet due to its weak financial position.

18 hours ago, flee said:

I guess that they are trying to replace Airasia X - D7 is finding it challenging to reactivate its fleet due to its weak financial position.

and lack of qualified personnel. But I don't think the public is lining up in droves though to put their butt on OD's ironing boards. 

3 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

and lack of qualified personnel. But I don't think the public is lining up in droves though to put their butt on OD's ironing boards. 

Do they still have a generous seat pitch ?

44 minutes ago, Robert said:

Do they still have a generous seat pitch ?

The dual class B737-800 and B737-MAX8 has 45" for J class and 32" for Y class. 12J 150Y= 162 total.

Single class B737-MAX8 has 31". 180Y.

22 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Yes, I think people associate them with Lion Air and flying with them only as a last resort.

From my visual observation in KLIA, most of OD targets pax are from South and Central Asia and almost half of them continuing towards Australia. A pretty lucrative niche market when compared to them struggling to fill up the frequency demanding but low yield domestic Malaysia market.

23 minutes ago, jahur said:

From my visual observation in KLIA, most of OD targets pax are from South and Central Asia and almost half of them continuing towards Australia. A pretty lucrative niche market when compared to them struggling to fill up the frequency demanding but low yield domestic Malaysia market.

I know some people who regularly flies to Dhaka and they say that the Malindo flights are almost always full of Bangladeshi pax. I suppose management is right to capitalise on where the demand is. Domestic flights are too price sensitive and there is also political pressure to keep fares low. Good yielding international flights will help to pad up margins lost on domestic destinations.

BATIK AIR MALAYSIA RESUMES GUANGZHOU SERVICE IN MID-JAN 2023

Batik Air Malaysia this week resumed Kuala Lumpur – Guangzhou service, which saw first flight operated on 17JAN23. This route is scheduled with Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft, twice weekly.

OD612 KUL2145 – 0210+1CAN 7M8 25
OD613 CAN0310 – 0715KUL 7M8 36

On 1/16/2023 at 11:03 AM, JuliusWong said:

May be an image of text that says "Dviation Determined Done Dviation Different-Determined Congratulations to our esteemed customer Batik Air on achieving The World's Longest Schedule Route for a narrow body aircraft VaLarSi B 37MAXE Batik MALAYSIA"

cant see the flight in radar24 d....seems no one buy this?

12 hours ago, prosibu1 said:

cant see the flight in radar24 d....seems no one buy this?

One of our very senior Malaysianwings member Captain Radzi flew it at a comparable flight hours in december. But i suspect this is the flight that Daviation was talking about.

Screenshot_20230219-094954.jpg

Edited by jahur

New Air Traffic Rights granted for Batik Air:

1. KUL-TPE-NGO v.v. / 3x weekly    Batik Air    Feb-23
  2. KUL-ADL v.v. / 7x weekly    Batik Air    Feb-23
  3. KUL-MLE v.v. / 7x weekly    Batik Air    Feb-23
  4. KUL-IST v.v. / 4x weekly    Batik Air    Mar-23

Planespotters.net previously reported that ex-AirAsia X A330-300 MSN 1411 (9M-XXI) and MSN 1481 (9M-XXP) are now being prepared for Batik Air Malaysia, however airfinancejournal said Batik Indonesia will be taking them instead. https://www.airfinancejournal.com/articles/3589750/batik-air-takes-more-leased-a330s

Time will tell if Batik Air Malaysia will take both airframes or will wet lease both from its sister company.

B737max can do it too but with a stopover. 

Edited by JuliusWong

On 3/7/2023 at 2:57 PM, jani said:

Or can a 737 do it?

The 737 probably can do the job if they are empty or if they plan to replace one new aircraft for every 7M8 that suffers fuel exhaustion somewhere over the Middle East.