MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Eddy Liew

Malindo to be Rebranded as Batik Air Malaysia; Moved to MTB; to Partner ex MAS Codeshare Airlines

there goes Malindo affordable and low air fares

Now you can fly with Rayaniair if you can't get low fares from MAB, Malindo or Airasia...

Code sharing with other airline is normal, but MH with FY?? Use to fly FY on KCH-KUL route before they ceased in 2011, now they are back in KCH but don't expect the brilliant orange and white B738 on the tarmac. Great move by OD if they can move back to KLIA.

Batik Air Malaysia? pretty sure OD will become a full service airlines after this

27JAN2016
Malindo Air (OD, Kuala Lumpur Int'l) is set to be rebranded as Batik Air Malaysia as parent firm, Lion Airlines Group,

seeks to more closely align its respective subsidiaries which include Batik Air (ID, Jakarta Soekarno-Hatta) and Wings Air (Indonesia) (IW, Jakarta Soekarno-Hatta).

According to FlightGlobal, Batik Air (Malaysia) (OD, Kuala Lumpur Int'l) would primarily focus on international operations

with its Indonesian sibling Batik Air providing it with regional feeder traffic. Together, the two carriers would not only enjoy enhanced economies of scale, but also lower unit costs.

A 51/49 joint-venture between Malaysian Aerospace and Defence Industries and Lion Air Group, Malindo Air operates a fleet of eleven ATR72-600s, ten B737-800s, and six B737-900(ER)s on flights throughout Malaysia as well as to Indonesia, India, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Nepal, Pakistan, Singapore, Australia, and China.

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/43571-malaysias-malindo-air-to-be-rebranded

26JAN2016
Lion Airlines Group founder and chief executive officer Rusdi Kirana says the firm's Thai and Malaysian units - Thai Lion Air (SL, Bangkok Don Mueang) and Malindo Air (OD, Kuala Lumpur Int'l) - are considering starting longhaul flights in the next five years.

Speaking to Reuters, Kirana said both subsidiaries are looking at serving Europe from 2020 onwards. He did not offer any further details.

For its part, Malindo Air currently serves thirty-one destinations across Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bangladesh, Nepal, and Australia with plans to enter the southern Chinese and Saudi Arabian markets later this year. Thai Lion Air, on the other hand, focuses its attention primarily on the Thai domestic market with regional services to Singapore Changi, and Changsha Datuopu, Hefei and Jinan in China. Both currently operate B737-800 and B737-900(ER) fleets with Malindo also operating ATR72-600s.

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/43488-lion-air-group-eyes-longhaul-expansion-from-2020-onwards

Cool stuff. Malindo is poised perfectly to fill in the gap between MH and AK. Also I know many people dismiss it, but keep an eye on Rayani as well. It is not by coincidence that that airline popped out of nowhere ;)

Cool stuff. Malindo is poised perfectly to fill in the gap between MH and AK. Also I know many people dismiss it, but keep an eye on Rayani as well. It is not by coincidence that that airline popped out of nowhere ;)

True, I agree. Until AK can sort out their PR and operational issue, OD and to smaller extent RK will be benefiting. MH is on resuscitation mode, this will give OD some time to change their product and services.

I suspect that Batik Air Malaysia will operate the jet fleet while Malindo Air will remain with turboprops, like Wings in Indonesia.

Edited by flee

I wonder what their longhaul fleet will be. Boeing or Airbus?

Do they still have the B787 on order?

I wonder what their longhaul fleet will be. Boeing or Airbus?

Do they still have the B787 on order?

Lion Group have cancelled the B787 order and have taken delivery of the A330-300.

Will be flying OD on 19feb16: really looking forward to it :)

I wonder how much of this rebranding is driven by prospect of code sharing deals on domestic routes with foreign carriers now left high and dry on this front due to the MAB/Emirates tie up ?

Nah, not that soon. Batik Air Malaysia might need another two to three years to be a real competitor ala ANA vs JAL. However Batik Air Malaysia will definitely put pressure on MAB recovery, not forgetting to greater extend AK.

Nah, not that soon. Batik Air Malaysia might need another two to three years to be a real competitor ala ANA vs JAL. However Batik Air Malaysia will definitely put pressure on MAB recovery, not forgetting to greater extend AK.

If od corporate culture and business model remain unchanged, od will eventually overtake mh in popularity and fleet size.

Edited by KK Lee

Also, rumours that Malindo/ Batik may take over some of the space currently occupied by the MH lounge at the satellite building for its own lounge.

If this turns out to be true, I'm guessing the First/Emerald side will be the victim.

Batik Air Malaysia sounds nicer too, compared to Malindo.

Amd I agree, Batik Air livery needs changes.

Slap the MH kebaya design on it.

KUL have more slots compare to CGK, so Batik Air Indonesia will become feeder to Batik Air Malaysia thru KUL Hub

But more importantly, Malindo Air/Batik Air Malaysia is not on the EU blacklist. So, it should not be a problem for them to fly to the EU.

I think that is why Lion Group is setting up affiliates outside Indonesia. I don't think many Indonesian carriers can get off the EU blacklist anytime soon.

Edited by flee

I don't like the Batik Air branding (not the name), I feel like the logo is outdated and was designed in 5 minutes by an intern. The tail design is OK, but doesn't scream FSC to me, based on the livery and branding I feel like its more like a hybrid carrier. I hope that Batik Malaysia will give the brand a refresh because the branding as it is now is not up to par with other world carriers, where they should aim too if they want to be a major player one day.