MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAB Signed Partnership with Emirates Effective 1 February 2016

Felt horribly sad when read the announcement... instead of the supposed joy and elation. But I suppose, in order to survive, MAB needs such a change in its business model :(

MAS will be a ticketing agent.

I hope they do a good job on their booking engine, re the code shares.

E.g. for those wanting to book KUL-BNE, did they get the QF code share options thrown up, or did they need to perform two separate bookings?

MH will lose a lot of business if it cannot get the booking engine to function robustly for code shares.

I hope they do a good job on their booking engine, re the code shares.

E.g. for those wanting to book KUL-BNE, did they get the QF code share options thrown up, or did they need to perform two separate bookings?

MH will lose a lot of business if it cannot get the booking engine to function robustly for code shares.

It's quite normal for codeshares not to appear on airline booking engines, not just MH's Edited by Chris Tan

Hello everyone,

This EK/MH agreement and the end of the flights to CDG and AMS is a very bad news for the French that I am and for Malaysia too.

In fact, I am not working for a big company or a government so I travel is Economy class. I tried Emirates once (CDG - DXB - BKK and return) and this was a painful experience. The comfort of the place is very bad, service on board is really bad (especially on night flights) and food is awful. My wife and I had to eat in DXB both time as we were starving... Also a stop in DXB will mean more hours to travel and a stop in a 'not so nice airport' (compared with SIN or BKK for example).

And I think this will be a great loss for Malaysia as most of the people who traveled with MH had a stop in KL for a connection with Air Asia or another MH flight to Australia, Bali, ... And most of them spend one or two days to visit KL or even furthest destinations. In my opinion, Malaysia will become a bit more unknown to the westerners mind. I guess Thai and Singapore airlines will be happy to see flow of European customers...

Of course, this is a kind of big news for Malaysian travelers with many destinations for them. But the balance is few millions hypothetic travelers vs. few dozen of millions ... the winner here is clearly Emirates.

Renaud

Felt horribly sad when read the announcement... instead of the supposed joy and elation. But I suppose, in order to survive, MAB needs such a change in its business model :(

Me too.

This development is also negative for KUL. But lets await further details.

AMS is a very special route for MH and it is indeed sad to see it go after such an extensive collaboration with KL on the Kangaroo route. I hope they will restart it someday soon, once they have settled their mess. I suppose KL can now mount flights to KUL in view of the missing link of AF and soon to come MH.

It's quite normal for codeshares not to appear on airline booking engines, not just MH's

Try booking EK/QF codeshares and see the difference!

The same goes with LH codeshares. Even VN/AF codeshares come through smoothly on their web booking engines.

Edited by flee

And MH may outsource all their B777 type rated and excess crew to EK....win-win situation.....The amount of Malaysians joining the ME3 is astonishing.

Edited by JuliusWong

Of course, this is a kind of big news for Malaysian travelers with many destinations for them. But the balance is few millions hypothetic travelers vs. few dozen of millions ... the winner here is clearly Emirates.

Renaud

I always felt that EK is always an unofficial "flag carrier" of Malaysia since they mounted up to 4x daily flights... speaking of irony tho! :search:

This development is also negative for KUL. But lets await further details.

Unfortunately, MH is so weak and is on life support. If no action is taken, its disease will be terminal. Even Khazanah has admitted that this will be MH's final bailout.

Bloomberg coverage:

Malaysia Air Agrees to Code-Share Deal With Emirates http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-12-03/malaysia-air-agrees-to-code-share-deal-with-emirates

Malaysia Air Seals 90-City Emirates Deal, Drops Paris, Amsterdam http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-02/malaysia-air-seals-90-city-emirates-deal-drops-paris-amsterdam

One casualty here.

I'll be out of job come end of January.

Hope this is a blessing in disguise, you and your colleagues will find a more rewarding jobs. Good Luck!

Edited by KK Lee

One casualty here.

I'll be out of job come end of January.

It is sad to hear that, Captain. I wish you and all the MH B777 pilots all the best in the future undertakings

To Capt. Radzi and some others who are affected by this development, I fully understand the agony of having an uncertained near future but trust me, Malaysian talents are well received GLOBALLY.

I left a giant Malaysian GLC in 2005 after working for them since graduating in 2002 (I was a graduate of a local Malaysian university) with a sour taste on my part because my talent, aproach and style were alienated and deemed 'not in line' with their norms (you know lah kan Malaysian GLCs office politic etc). So I left the country and it has been an amazing 10 years living abroad in 3 different countries spread equally among them. In all occasions except for the first country, I was employed through the local employment channels (meaning not through secondment/expat/attachment channel). The longest I had to be unemployed is for a period of 6 months which was in the UK, but understandly London is a tough and very competitive job market. But I made it still.

My point is, do not confine your options to just Malaysia. There are definitely better and more rewarding opportunities elsewhere in the world.

But it comes with some sacrifices, especially having to leave your loved one behind. But you need to do what you have to do. Good luck and I am sure you will be just fine.

When QF tied up with EK few years ago, it terminated FRA leaving LHR the only Europe destination with its own metal. Many people were not optimistic with the tie up especially when QF shifted its base from SIN to DXB. Now it seems it works pretty well for QF.

Hope likewise for MH case

To Capt. Radzi and some others who are affected by this development, I fully understand the agony of having an uncertained near future but trust me, Malaysian talents are well received GLOBALLY.

I left a giant Malaysian GLC in 2005 after working for them since graduating in 2002 (I was a graduate of a local Malaysian university) with a sour taste on my part because my talent, aproach and style were alienated and deemed 'not in line' with their norms (you know lah kan Malaysian GLCs office politic etc). So I left the country and it has been an amazing 10 years living abroad in 3 different countries spread equally among them. In all occasions except for the first country, I was employed through the local employment channels (meaning not through secondment/expat/attachment channel). The longest I had to be unemployed is for a period of 6 months which was in the UK, but understandly London is a tough and very competitive job market. But I made it still.

My point is, do not confine your options to just Malaysia. There are definitely better and more rewarding opportunities elsewhere in the world.

But it comes with some sacrifices, especially having to leave your loved one behind. But you need to do what you have to do. Good luck and I am sure you will be just fine.

:good: well said.

The world is greater than the kampung and is flat.

Edited by KK Lee

It is painful to watch. But sometimes things have to get worse before they get better.

The tie up with Emirates does makes sense. For MH, the benefits are self explanatory. In any case, what other choice does it have? For Emirates, it's a low risk venture on their side. Not that they desperately need it, but business is business and if you can fill up a seat or two or more, why not?

In any case, the aviation industry is a dynamic one. When they get their house sorted, perhaps we might see the national airline resurrecting their long-haul business again some day. JAL, Iberia, Qantas and the likes are solid examples.

It is pitiful though, to see so many good people leaving (or being forced to leave) Malaysia Airlines.

Capt Radzi,

Stay positive, Sir! Opportunities do exist both regionally and a little further west. Safe and happy landings, always!

Malaysia Airlines post restructuring strategy evolves with Emirates partnership, new domestic bases

Malaysia Airlines has forged an extensive codeshare partnership with Emirates as it further restructures its long haul network. The flag carrier is suspending services to Amsterdam and Paris, leaving it with only one two destinations outside the Asia Pacific region (London Heathrow and Dubai) and will rely on Emirates to provide offline access to continental Europe, Africa, the Middle East and the Americas.
Malaysia Airlines is increasing its focus on regional operations and will reschedule domestic and some short haul international flights to connect better with Emirates, its own restructured network and other partners. Under the revised regional operation the carrier plans to open seven bases in secondary cities throughout Malaysia, enabling it reduce costs, improve utilisation of its 737 fleet and launch new point to point routes.
The new still unfolding strategy at Malaysia Airlines repositions the flag carrier to focus on the Asia Pacific region, where there is rapid growth and opportunities to feed partners. Malaysia Airlines is right to recognise that it unable to compete effectively against Gulf carriers on long haul routes to Europe, leaving a partnership with a former rival the only sensible option.

Hello everyone,

This EK/MH agreement and the end of the flights to CDG and AMS is a very bad news for the French that I am and for Malaysia too.

In fact, I am not working for a big company or a government so I travel is Economy class. I tried Emirates once (CDG - DXB - BKK and return) and this was a painful experience. The comfort of the place is very bad, service on board is really bad (especially on night flights) and food is awful. My wife and I had to eat in DXB both time as we were starving... Also a stop in DXB will mean more hours to travel and a stop in a 'not so nice airport' (compared with SIN or BKK for example).

And I think this will be a great loss for Malaysia as most of the people who traveled with MH had a stop in KL for a connection with Air Asia or another MH flight to Australia, Bali, ... And most of them spend one or two days to visit KL or even furthest destinations. In my opinion, Malaysia will become a bit more unknown to the westerners mind. I guess Thai and Singapore airlines will be happy to see flow of European customers...

Renaud

It looks like for MH customers, KUL to Continental Europe will now revert to a one stop flight (like it was in the 70s-80s) - you either connect at DXB or LHR to your final destination.

for the night flights out of KUL with Emirates would mean a ungodly transit in the early morning in Dubai and there would not be any direct flights. In this tie-up Emirates clearly would be the winner as this arrangement also see Emirates using its own aircarft and MAS will just be like an "agent earning a small commission on the seats sold" on its western routes except LHR. This leaves MAS with just 15 A333s for its regional routes, and 6 A380s with 4 of them being active for its LHR runs. MAS fleet would be fairly small even compared to Air Asia X.

With such a small fleet of 15 A333s and 4 leased A350s in 2017 (to replace the A380s), MAS will not even be a makor regional player in the market.

"agent earning a small commission on the seats sold"

The operative word is earnings - right now, they are making losses....

With such a small fleet of 15 A333s and 4 leased A350s in 2017 (to replace the A380s), MAS will not even be a makor regional player in the market.

CM was brought in to stop the heavy losses and turn MAB into a profitable business. He is only starting the first part of that brief. MAB's business needs to be stabilised first, hence the cuts. Once the business has stabilised, expansion on a sustainable basis can then the carried out. Just look at what happened at JAL and Qantas - they have turned around from making big losses. Now, after cutting their aircraft and staff, these two airlines are making profits again.

MAB has to be careful though - it has to turn around quickly. Some of our ASEAN neighbours have very ambitious planes, e.g. Vietnam Airlines. They might become a threat to MAB in the coming years.

Sign in to follow this