MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
KK Lee

KLIA MTB Expansion

This is my 2nd attempt at the proposal.

I think this is a better layout as it can increase the gate count (capacity) tremendously. But 1 pair of taxiway has to be sacrificed. I can't think of any other suggestion for the landside apart from getting that square shape around the existing structure becomes a perfectly symmetrical bigger rectangle.

35k4p39.png

I think given the current rate MAB operating, this extension cum refurbishment and perhaps another satellite building is sufficient enough for the next 10 - 15 years. I just want them to do it tastefully, so we can have another bragging right.

Believe MTB and satellite terminal concept was adopted for skytrain bragging right and Klia2 design was centered for sky bridge bragging right. For bragging right, operations efficiency and minimum connection time is compromised. It will be stretched for mh and d7 to implement arrivals and departures in waves like ek, qr, lh, ba, kl,etc at Kul.

Edited by KK Lee

I think this is a better layout as it can increase the gate count (capacity) tremendously. But 1 pair of taxiway has to be sacrificed. I can't think of any other suggestion for the landside apart from getting that square shape around the existing structure becomes a perfectly symmetrical bigger rectangle.

35k4p39.png

Would give more narrow-body bays. One of the remotes on either side (B54 and A54) would have to be sacrificed for another taxiway to join the cross taxiway F in ur example.. Plus it creates a bottle neck as only one taxiway in the apron.. Pushback during peak would be a bitch.. Just look at WSSS.. All terminals have bottlenecks that cause pushback delay during push periods.. It's like the amazing race to call for push before the adjacent! The alternative is to have narrow-body taxi lines abeam the main taxi line to accomadate multiple pushbacks. Hint hint Jani!

35k4p39.png

Its probably better to avoid corners - the klia2 layout is pretty efficient. So extend the wings of MTB to the max and that should add, maybe, 6-8 gates on each side.

The MTB check in area should also be correspondingly extended. Perhaps this extension should be made to cope with the future Sat B traffic too. This will ensure that when Sat B is built, the MTB can continue operations without disruption.

Why are they still leaving the 2 jumbos there and not together with the rest just in front of the engineering hangar?

Guys, as mentioned, will try and have a look this coming week as to the exact plans. Believe Azizul's second proposal might indeed carry more weight :)

Though Azizul did not color another potential area for expansion. Hint: green

Why are they still leaving the 2 jumbos there and not together with the rest just in front of the engineering hangar?

35k4p39.png

The piers are expandable and so is the MTB, it may well become a major renovation project as the MTB will require some sort of renovation to it by now. The pilings and structural work may easily make it a complete renovation which may require a complete shut down depending on the feasiblity and conditions of the project.

Or can be done in stages. A parallel can be observed at Changi. The T1 and T2 was shut down for major renovation. Unfortunately KLIA does not have an alternative terminal for them to retreat to if it needs a complete shut down, hence for many it may be a good idea to build a completely new terminal on the flip side and once the new terminal is complete, they shut the old one down for major renovations. Most joe public tended to underestimate the space and security needed for these projects. Extra space is often needed for storage of materials and construction space, which will have a huge impact on traffic management and security.

The masterplan was a no go partly because of the KLIA Ekspres track that is running parallel to 32R/14L and also MAB was hesitant to shoo away Concorde, KLIA College and also the little cowboy town Downtown KLIA. All are sitting right smack in the middle of the mirror terminal site. And also, they wanted a third parallel runway, hence klia2 plan with 33/15 was born.

Nope, check on Google Map or earth. the KLIA Express track does not cross the space required for a terminal. It actually runs parallel to the runway. However, they may need to build a bridge across the rail tracks for aircraft to cross. They will need to clear out the staff carpark, Concorde Inn Hotel and KLIA Professional & Management College, however.

The piers are expandable and so is the MTB, it may well become a major renovation project as the MTB will require some sort of renovation to it by now. The pilings and structural work may easily make it a complete renovation which may require a complete shut down depending on the feasiblity and conditions of the project.

Or can be done in stages. A parallel can be observed at Changi. The T1 and T2 was shut down for major renovation. Unfortunately KLIA does not have an alternative terminal for them to retreat to if it needs a complete shut down, hence for many it may be a good idea to build a completely new terminal on the flip side and once the new terminal is complete, they shut the old one down for major renovations. Most joe public tended to underestimate the space and security needed for these projects. Extra space is often needed for storage of materials and construction space, which will have a huge impact on traffic management and security.

We have seen MAHB successfully built/renovated KCH, PEN and (BKI?) and a few other smaller airports concurrently (part of the old structure is replaced while the new one is built while the airport is running at the same time). This however, will cause major discomfort to passengers and also security issues. I experienced this first hand with KCH back then.

We have seen MAHB successfully built/renovated KCH, PEN and (BKI?) and a few other smaller airports concurrently (part of the old structure is replaced while the new one is built while the airport is running at the same time). This however, will cause major discomfort to passengers and also security issues. I experienced this first hand with KCH back then.

I can't say much about PEN and KCH, but for BKI, the current T2 was built in front of the old terminal. I remembered I used it when they were building a completely new terminal in front. Once the new terminal is complete and became functional. They demolished the old terminal and raze it to the ground to gain car parking and drop-off and pick up space. For BKI T1, they made sure the old terminal is still functional and they built the extension next to the old terminal. Once that was completed and became operational, the went back to demolish partially and rebuild the old terminal to connect it to the new part. I remembered KCH was done in a similar manner.

So in summary it is still done in stages, new and old part separately. I am not a construction sequence expert or project manager. Perhaps someone can enlighten us even more.

I am hoping they can build Satellite 2, to make it operational first, then return to renovate Satellite 1 and extend MTB partially once that is complete, this will ensure they always have enough space for aircraft to park.

Edited by S V Choong

35k4p39.png

I still think that if the 2 L's converge (berjumpa) in the middle where the aerotrain runs will be more efficient so no bottleneck occurs in peak ac movement period.

Nope, check on Google Map or earth. the KLIA Express track does not cross the space required for a terminal. It actually runs parallel to the runway. However, they may need to build a bridge across the rail tracks for aircraft to cross.

Yeah, I remember that stupid excuse. Apparently it would have cost a couple hundred million to move the tracks, so they moved to the KLIA2 site and then had to spend 2 billion stabilizing the swampland...

IIRC, back in Subang airport era, a temporary terminal was built during the major renovation of Terminal 1. The temporary terminal was then become Terminal 2 serving KUL-SIN shuttle service when the works at Terminal 1 were completed and commissioned.

Perhaps in KLIA case, extension can be carried out in stages. First shut down MTB wing A and construct wing A extension. When Wing A is completed and commissioned, procced to Wing B extension works by shutting down Wing B.

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Yeah, I remember that stupid excuse. Apparently it would have cost a couple hundred million to move the tracks, so they moved to the KLIA2 site and then had to spend 2 billion stabilizing the swampland...

Thats a pretty lame excuse. They need to make the tracks underground. I think one part of towarss the end of the runway, the rail track is much lower than the runway. I think they have already planning for an over-bridge for aircraft years ago.

IIRC, back in Subang airport era, a temporary terminal was built during the major renovation of Terminal 1. The temporary terminal was then become Terminal 2 serving KUL-SIN shuttle service when the works at Terminal 1 were completed and commissioned.

Perhaps in KLIA case, extension can be carried out in stages. First shut down MTB wing A and construct wing A extension. When Wing A is completed and commissioned, procced to Wing B extension works by shutting down Wing B.

Yeah if they can sort out the logistics and security. they can do that. Normally it is easier and less costly if the terminal is to shut down completely, I heard this from my project manager :)

MAHB To Study Need For New Satellite Buildings

SEPANG, Nov 30 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) will onduct a study on the need for new satellite buildings at the Kuala Lumpur Airport International Airport (KLIA) and klia2 to cater for future passenger growth.

Managing Director Datuk Badlisham Ghazali said both airports can currently accommodate up to 35 million and 45 million passengers respectively annually.

"Right now, we are looking into whether a new satellite building is required or leverage on the KLIA and klia2 to expand their capacities.

"In our master plan, there is allocation for a satellite building B, C and D at the airports if needed, due to the growth in air traffic and cargo," Badlisham told reporters after launching the Malaysia Airports "MyFIT System", here Monday.

He was commenting on a recent statement by Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Abd Aziz Kaprawi that a new terminal is expected to be built at the KLIA to expand its total capacity to 100 million passengers annually.

The KLIA's main terminal handled 23 million passengers last year, while the klia2 is about to reach its full capacity of 45 million.

On the MyFit System, Badlisham said MAHB is the first non-sports related organisation to use the MyFIT System, developed by the National Sports Institute (ISN), to gauge the fitness of the Airports Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) personnel.

He said the ISN had conducted tests at several AFRS stations nationwide and involving more than 250 members with 10 types of tests known as fitness test batteries.

"The tests includes sit-ups, hand grip, runs, wall sit and the yo-yo test.

"The use of the MyFit System is important to ensure that AFRS personnel perform their duties efficiently," Badlisham said.

Whatever they are planning to do, please do some refurbishment to MTB if they ever decided to construct, or to extend whatever terminals there. Mumbai new terminal really put KUL to shame. You dont even start comparing Changi. Even the new Jakarta Terminal 3/4

Truly agree.

Malaysia Plans $1 Billion Spending to Improve Congested Airports

Malaysia plans to spend about $1 billion over the next five years to refurbish and expand its airports as the Southeast Asian country paces infrastructure growth with a surge in passenger traffic, its main airport operator said.

My main terminal may require some upgrade, said Badlisham Ghazali, managing director of state-controlled Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd., referring to Kuala Lumpur International Airport. There are other airports that have grown beyond capacity, including the tourist island of Langkawi, Kota Bharu in the north and Kota Kinabalu in Sabah, he said.

The upgrade of facilities is likely to benefit regional airlines such as AirAsia Bhd., Southeast Asias largest discount carrier, which are expanding their fleets and adding more routes as rising incomes and competitive fares encourage more Asians to fly. Boeing Co. is projecting 100 million new passengers annually in the region. Malaysia-based AirAsia, the biggest operator of Airbus Group SEs single-aisle aircraft, signed a deal in July for 100 A321neos to help maintain its industry lead.

Third Runway

The proposed investment is a fraction of Hong Kong International Airports estimated spending plan of HK$141.5 billion ($18 billion) to add a third runway. Singapores Changi Airport will have a fourth terminal by 2017 at a cost of S$1.28 billion ($941 million) to handle 16 million passengers annually.

The Malaysian government will foot part of the planned $1 billion investment, with the rest coming from Malaysia Airports, Badlisham said in an interview in New Delhi on Sept. 7.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-12/malaysia-plans-1-billion-spending-to-improve-congested-airports

Edited by KK Lee

Malaysia Plans $1 Billion Spending to Improve Congested Airports

Malaysia plans to spend about $1 billion over the next five years to refurbish and expand its airports as the Southeast Asian country paces infrastructure growth with a surge in passenger traffic, its main airport operator said.

My main terminal may require some upgrade, said Badlisham Ghazali, managing director of state-controlled Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd., referring to Kuala Lumpur International Airport. There are other airports that have grown beyond capacity, including the tourist island of Langkawi, Kota Bharu in the north and Kota Kinabalu in Sabah, he said.

The upgrade of facilities is likely to benefit regional airlines such as AirAsia Bhd., Southeast Asias largest discount carrier, which are expanding their fleets and adding more routes as rising incomes and competitive fares encourage more Asians to fly. Boeing Co. is projecting 100 million new passengers annually in the region. Malaysia-based AirAsia, the biggest operator of Airbus Group SEs single-aisle aircraft, signed a deal in July for 100 A321neos to help maintain its industry lead.

Third Runway

The proposed investment is a fraction of Hong Kong International Airports estimated spending plan of HK$141.5 billion ($18 billion) to add a third runway. Singapores Changi Airport will have a fourth terminal by 2017 at a cost of S$1.28 billion ($941 million) to handle 16 million passengers annually.The Malaysian government will foot part of the planned $1 billion investment, with the rest coming from Malaysia Airports, Badlisham said in an interview in New Delhi on Sept. 7.http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-12/malaysia-plans-1-billion-spending-to-improve-congested-airports

Why is PEN not included in the list?

About bloody time. KLIA Main/Satellite has been looking tired for a long time.

As for Penang, I think we all know why it will always get overlooked. I think though, that Putrajaya could use a major airport expansion project in Penang to score some brownie points.

It seems mahb klia is holding world record on thinnest toilet paper in width as well as by weight/m2.

it's definitely better than BKK, their toilet paper will immediately disintegrated with a drop of water