MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
affendi osman

MAB New Business Class Seat on All Existing 15 A333 from 1 April 2016

Agreed. I have never been a fan of the herring bone structure. I understand you get aisle access for all seats and equal amenities as well, but it always looks tight/cramp/claustrophobic at first glance.

IMO it is even better than their new business class seat...

IMO it is even better than their new business class seat...

My apologies, seems like I was not clear on my comments.

I was responding to the statement of MH's J looking more welcoming than that of CX, which on my first impression upon boarding CX (A330), it looks pack/tight/cramp. Remember that I am mentioning 'looks' and not that it actually is. I found this to be the same with VS and NZ's 787 herring bone J product as well that when entering the cabin, it feels/looks cramp.

Of course, I did enjoy the J experience on CX as it offered good privacy and storage space, but this was when I was travelling alone on business. As a couple, I would prefer to sacrifice privacy/storage space just to be next to my significant other, which MH's J offers.

It does appear -MTJ is currently being refurbished.

Also -MTB is still sitting in Melbourne from it's incident late last month, so must of sustained some quite serious damage to L1.

Looks like it's -MTJ is confirmed as being the 2nd refurbed A333, so far it's operated a MH129/128 and MH141/140 rotation.

Can anyone confirm?

Also all of the A333 fleet appears to be active at the moment so could -MTB be #3 now it's returned from repairs in Melbourne?

Flew aboard the new seats today into MEL on MH129 on Tango Lima. I think the seats have been documented well enough - they work well in practice, and are pretty comfy.

Had a great flight, especially since I flew with an IFS I've flown with several times before.

Didn't sleep a whole lot because it was a day flight, but I think overall it is a step in the right direction.

Flew aboard the new seats today into MEL on MH129 on Tango Lima. I think the seats have been documented well enough - they work well in practice, and are pretty comfy.

Had a great flight, especially since I flew with an IFS I've flown with several times before.

Didn't sleep a whole lot because it was a day flight, but I think overall it is a step in the right direction.

How does it compare with CX's J seat? As other experts here have pointed out the MH seat definitely looks a lot less welcoming than CX's. It also LOOKS a lot less spacious.

How does it compare with CX's J seat? As other experts here have pointed out the MH seat definitely looks a lot less welcoming than CX's. It also LOOKS a lot less spacious.

I've only flown this once lah. Too early to comment :D besides you know me, I'm not into appearances :)

I'll be going on a few hops in J in a month's time on MH380, BA744, JAL789 and MH333 (old layout most likely, 2nd July, KIX > KUL). But will be on MH's new J in August. Will give a report then, if someone else hasn't already done so.

Is there a difference in the leg/foot space in the bed mode between the throne seats on the right (like 1K) and the single seats on the left (like 1A)?

Is there a difference in the leg/foot space in the bed mode between the throne seats on the right (like 1K) and the single seats on the left (like 1A)?

Footwell space is same for 1A and K.

Just got off 128 oped by MTJ this morning. Am getting quite fond of the seats even though some I'v heard some people complaining, preferring the old ones.

Footwell space is same for 1A and K.

Just got off 128 oped by MTJ this morning. Am getting quite fond of the seats even though some I'v heard some people complaining, preferring the old ones.

Thanks for that, Suzanne. I don't know how anyone could like the old seats. They were terrible!!

Thanks for that, Suzanne. I don't know how anyone could like the old seats. They were terrible!!

The old seat were not much different from D7.

The old seat were not much different from D7.

I beg to differ. The old MH J seats are nothing like D7's; the latter being a hell of a lot more comfortable actually despite being a generation older akin to MH's J on the 772.

Just got off MH66 and MH67...both on the old J seats...they were horrible...I couldn't sleep on those seats despite putting it in different settings...in upright position the tv screen was kinda low that i had to slouch while watching movies...in the end I gave up and set the seat in lounging position for the rest of the flight.

D7 seats were wayyyy better and the foot rest actually aligned better for a flat sleeping position despite being at an angle...

There were NO amenity kit...but slippers eye shade and ear plugs available upon request. What puzzled me was no dental sets were available even for an overnight flight...sad...

Just got off MH66 and MH67...both on the old J seats...they were horrible...I couldn't sleep on those seats despite putting it in different settings...in upright position the tv screen was kinda low that i had to slouch while watching movies...in the end I gave up and set the seat in lounging position for the rest of the flight.

I hated the seats. The sleeping position is a nightmare. Thank God their days are numbered.

There were NO amenity kit...but slippers eye shade and ear plugs available upon request. What puzzled me was no dental sets were available even for an overnight flight...sad...

I believe amenities kit are ONLY available for flights exceeding 7 hours.

ICN is not in the list

I believe amenities kit are ONLY available for flights exceeding 7 hours.

ICN is not in the list

The only north Asian station that gets it is NRT.

On another note : we are straying off topic aren't we :)

The only north Asian station that gets it is NRT.

On another note : we are straying off topic aren't we :)

Hahaha yes we are. To get back on track, how was your second flight with the New J? :p

Hahaha yes we are. To get back on track, how was your second flight with the New J? :p

It was ok :) had great flights both ways - going down I'd flown with the IFS many times. We ended up shooting the breeze in the galley instead. Coming back was a night flight so I slept pretty much all the way. The new seats are growing on me. I've just booked another 2 sectors to and from NRT and am looking to pull the trigger on another MEL in the next few days. Will get a better feel then.

She's back in service. Operated last night's 149 to MEL, all fixed and also at the same time now has the new J seats. That makes 4 refitted now in this order: MTL, MTI, MTJ and MTB.

I just noticed that 9M-MTI will be flying to Osaka (KIX) in a few hours time as MH52. Is this accurate? It also showed that 9M-MTL visited Adelaide just recently as well.
Must be a treat for whoever is on those flights on J to suddenly find themselves being upgraded to the new J!

I just noticed that 9M-MTI will be flying to Osaka (KIX) in a few hours time as MH52. Is this accurate? It also showed that 9M-MTL visited Adelaide just recently as well.
Must be a treat for whoever is on those flights on J to suddenly find themselves being upgraded to the new J!

Substitutions are indeed happening, but it's not really the norm.

They seem to DO TRY to put these four birds on the MEL/SYD flights as promised.

Don't pay attention to the MH page about deployment though - if you read it, day after tomorrow AKL is supposed to be a new bird, but it's not and i get the feeling there have been some delays to the overall deployment.

Substitutions are indeed happening, but it's not really the norm.

They seem to DO TRY to put these four birds on the MEL/SYD flights as promised.

Don't pay attention to the MH page about deployment though - if you read it, day after tomorrow AKL is supposed to be a new bird, but it's not and i get the feeling there have been some delays to the overall deployment.

Oh well, I was wondering if I would get the new J as I'm flying from KIX to KUL on the 2nd of Jul, but I didn't get my hopes up as I'm sure there will be some delays.

Do you find only having 1 lavatory sufficient for a full J cabin of 27 passengers? Are J passengers allowed to use the one at Y if the one at J is occupied? I know on the current old config, J passengers do indeed have access to the lavatory near door 2.

Oh well, I was wondering if I would get the new J as I'm flying from KIX to KUL on the 2nd of Jul, but I didn't get my hopes up as I'm sure there will be some delays.

Do you find only having 1 lavatory sufficient for a full J cabin of 27 passengers? Are J passengers allowed to use the one at Y if the one at J is occupied? I know on the current old config, J passengers do indeed have access to the lavatory near door 2.

Turns out last nights 52/53 ended up being swapped to MTM so it didn't happen.

As for the lavatories - yeah 1 for 27 is kinda crowded especially just before landing. The IFS sometimes blocks the rear starboard lav for J pax, so it's not so bad.