MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
affendi osman

MAB New Business Class Seat on All Existing 15 A333 from 1 April 2016

I was on MTD on 15th May, MH123 with old cabin at seat 4A, then MTL on 20th May, MH122 with new cabin on seat 7K.

Verdict:

Old Seat

- old cabin has better seat adjustment facility. the 2nd position actually kinda lift you up and convert the chair into a lounge position which is very nice.

- although the IFE screen is a little low, its still bearable.

- I don't have to do anything when the converting the chair to angled sleep mode. Just let the powered chair do its work.

- the old chair provide ample leg room.

- the tray table is adjustable, which mean I can pull it closer or push it further.

- overall, I like it.

New seat

- very weird, seems that there are 3 version of the seat: throne seat which have a big space for writing, then another which is 2 person but one of them is bigger. then the last version is 2 person seat which has very little storage space.

- IFE screen is at the right eye level.

- the seat, no good. I only see one plus point which is the massage function, but not everyone likes it.

- The lounge seat position is just moving the leg rest out, which does very little to person with long leg and short torso.

- The seat adjustment button doesn't seem to have any affect to the seat. not sure if the seat is broken.

- VERY SMALL leg room!!!. It feels like in a coffin.

- With my body fully upright and my butt all the way to the end of the seat, when I convert the seat to lie flat position, I have to stop half way and readjust my body as my knee is hitting the top part of the seat in front. if I don't stop the seat conversion, it will crash my knee.

- I need to remove my shoe if I want to convert to lie flat without stopping. however at seat 7K there is no additional space to put my shoe. lucky for me that day the seat beside me was empty.

- overall, not to my liking. unless the other seats are different.

And MAB put too many things on the seat while boarding. Pillow, blanket, small blanket,no to mention the overnight kit later. I wont have place to seat if the seat beside me was empty both flight.

For the benefit of those who may want to know : the refurb fleet stands at 7 now. Easily remembered as ABC JILO

Thanks. Appreciate it.

Will be flying to Australia in August, looking forward for my own first hand experience of it.

I just got back from KIX on the old J and it truly is a dated product.. at least it was a 6 hours day flight.

I was on JAL's J from LA to KIX which was angled lie as well... for 12 hours, it was very uncomfortable... at least they had fantastic service and food to make up for it.. but still shameful to have angled lie on a 12 hours flight.

Thanks. Appreciate it.

Will be flying to Australia in August, looking forward for my own first hand experience of it.

I just got back from KIX on the old J and it truly is a dated product.. at least it was a 6 hours day flight.

I was on JAL's J from LA to KIX which was angled lie as well... for 12 hours, it was very uncomfortable... at least they had fantastic service and food to make up for it.. but still shameful to have angled lie on a 12 hours flight.

I hope to get the new J seats on ICN...flying back in August.

Do JAL hand out amenity kit? It is nice?

I hope to get the new J seats on ICN...flying back in August.

Do JAL hand out amenity kit? It is nice?

On the 12 hours flight I was on, it was a JAL inbound flight and they gave a semi-hard case (hard, but still soft-ish). Found this photo online showing what was the content in mine. Apparently they have different kits for inbound and outbound flights. MAS from KIX to KUL did not give any kit. I'll be on JAL year end flying both ways KUL to NRT, will see if they give out kits then. Oddly enough, the hard J product on this flight will have direct aisle access for all seat and full flat recline, better than the angled J I received on their 12 hours flight.

In addition to the kit, they also gave nice fluffy slippers and a travel shoehorn, the latter being something I really appreciated.

zero-halliburton_e98095e382b5e89c92e383b

Source:https://flightchic.com/2015/12/07/new-japan-airlines-zero-halliburton-business-class-amenity-kits-will-have-you-over-the-moon/zero-halliburton_%E9%80%95%E3%82%B5%E8%9C%92%E3%83%BB151118_049/#main

I still prefer the Porsche Designed case MAS gives out, being a full hard case, I found it handier to keep contents in it (Which I still owe you to this day, when I went to the post office a month back, Malaysian Wings was down and I couldn't retrieve your details to send it, sorry).

Soft product wise, the service on JAL was amazing. Very friendly attendants, work really fast and precise, but at the same time, elegant and always with fantastic smiles. Food on board was fantastic as well. That's why I opted to fly with them instead of MAS year end using Enrich Miles. To be fair though, food service on MAS from KIX to KUL last weekend was better than KUL to LHR I was on early June. (apparently they changed catering according to the attendant at the check in counter, I did not get my Chef-on-Call selection because of that). I'll find out in August if the quality of food on MAS will be consistently decent.

RaymondT, thank you for your sharing. May I know which version of J class you were you on when you flew on JL? JL currently have six versions of international J class floating around:

1. JAL Sky Suite
  2. JAL Sky Suite 2
  3. JAL Shell Flat Neo
  4. JAL Shell Flat Seat
  5. JAL Skyrecliner
  6. JAL Skyluxe Seat

RaymondT, thank you for your sharing. May I know which version of J class you were you on when you flew on JL? JL currently have six versions of international J class floating around:

1. JAL Sky Suite
  2. JAL Sky Suite 2
  3. JAL Shell Flat Neo
  4. JAL Shell Flat Seat
  5. JAL Skyrecliner
  6. JAL Skyluxe Seat

Pleasure was mine to be able to swap experience with fellow flyers so that we may make a more informed choice in the future.

The J product I was on was the JAL Shell Flat Neo. I found this to be more comfortable than that of MAS' Recaro J that is currently being phased out, with softer materials and better angles/shape. This was on their 787-8 from LAX to KIX. That being said, there is a lot of positives going for MAS' J on the A333 compared to JAL's J on their 788.

1. Consistency. MAS' J are all between Door 1 & 2, so you get a quieter experience on most J seats. JAL on the other hand had more than half of their J seats behind Door 2 which I was seated and it was very noisy, I had to have my NC headphones on me most of the time.

2. Window shades. The 788 uses the electronic dimming window shades, which has two flaws (imo). One is that it does not go fully black, so use of eye shade is a must to fully block out lights. Also, being black, it absorbs the heat from the sun, bringint to the next point with the window.. when the sun is shining on the window (even at an angle) it gets warm and if you were at the window seat like I was, you can feel the heat coming from it, it was VERY uncomfortable for me.

3. This brings to the 3rd point, due to the heat/warmer cabin from window, I had to blast both air condition vent on me to feel remotely comfortable. This actually negated the advantage the 787 was supposed to have over other planes, a more humid cabin as I felt very dry as I needed the constant stream of air from the air condition.

JAL has that many types of seats??? Shocking!

JuliusWong actually left out the latest addition to the JAL fleet, the JAL Sky Suite 3. Haha!

JAL has that many types of seats??? Shocking!

JuliusWong actually left out the latest addition to the JAL fleet, the JAL Sky Suite 3. Haha!

Hahaha, Raymond thank you for highlighting. The newest one is made by Zodiac Cirrus (Link). Same seat currently used by many oneworld airlines.That makes it seven different J class flying around with JAL on international routes

Kenneth, you may find the different J class here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/service/business/seat/skysuite.html

While we are talking about the many types of J seats one airline has, can we also talk about AA's J:

- Cirrus reverse herringbone on their 77W

- the yet to be launched B/E Super Diamond on half of their 772 and new 789

- Customized Cirrus yin-yang on their 77D and 788

- NGBC angled lie-flat on the older 767/777/757

- B/E Diamond on their 321T

- unannounced flat bed for their TATL 757

While we are talking about the many types of J seats one airline has, can we also talk about AA's J:

- Cirrus reverse herringbone on their 77W

- the yet to be launched B/E Super Diamond on half of their 772 and new 789

- Customized Cirrus yin-yang on their 77D and 788

- NGBC angled lie-flat on the older 767/777/757

- B/E Diamond on their 321T

- unannounced flat bed for their TATL 757

I didn't know Air Asia had 777's ?

I didn't know Air Asia had 777's ?

AA only has A320s. AAX has big planes. I think Craig was referring to the potential 777 order which will serve their network very well. They've worked well for EK and SQ and BA because they're fuel efficient, can fly far and carry lots of cargo.

Actually I forgot 2 more AA J:

- the first generation Cirrus on 332

- the Thompson Vantage XL (or similar) on the refurbished 767.

Actually I forgot 2 more AA J:

- the first generation Cirrus on 332

- the Thompson Vantage XL (or similar) on the refurbished 767.

Does AA give out amenity kits in J?? I'm flying LAX-SFO in August and it would be a shame if I don't get one.

Does AA give out amenity kits in J?? I'm flying LAX-SFO in August and it would be a shame if I don't get one.

No likely...usually only International and Intercontinental flights...coast to coast...

I doubt it. Maybe a longer flight like LAX-SEA/LAX-DEN will, but for medium haul like LAX-SFO i have my doubts.

I doubt it. Maybe a longer flight like LAX-SEA/LAX-DEN will, but for medium haul like LAX-SFO i have my doubts.

Bummer... Anyone here willing to spare me one?

I would consider LAX - SFO to be short haul. It's not even past 2 hours.

I was on AS from SEA to LAS which was over 2 hours and they didn't even serve food, just some warm cookies and milk. Although the cookies were delicious. (Of course I may have fallen asleep and miss the food? But they switched off the cabin lights almost immediately for take off and left it that way until landing)

Bummer... Anyone here willing to spare me one?

I think eBay got plenty. Just don't really see many Air Asia kits. Maybe they're highly sought after ?