MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

MAB A350-900 Regional Flights to PEN, BKK, SIN & BKI from 9 December 2017

Compared to its competition - according to Airbus's own website.

http://www.a350xwb.com/cost-effectiveness/

Although the NST reporting is substandard, Airbus' marketing speak is just as bad but probably made to avoid legal complications.

But it is understandable - fuel consumption comparisons are hard to pin down accurately. Many factors influence fuel consumption - so it is almost impossible to get an apples for apples comparison. Factors like length/distance of the flight, payload/weight of the respective aircrafts, route taken, traffic conditions, etc. affect fuel consumption. Airlines can only rely on their own actual data, if they want accurate fuel consumption comparisons.

The first bit of the piece has the Irish chap quoted "We will have a 40 per cent reduction in operating cost for the direct flight to London compared to the A380,"

At the bottom, it says "The A350 is said to consume 25 per cent less fuel."

From casual reading, it's a bit unflattering on the dugong, whilst fuel save on the A350 isn't too impressive either (50% less engine but only 25% less fuel burn) :D

The first bit of the piece has the Irish chap quoted "We will have a 40 per cent reduction in operating cost for the direct flight to London compared to the A380,"

At the bottom, it says "The A350 is said to consume 25 per cent less fuel."

From casual reading, it's a bit unflattering on the dugong, whilst fuel save on the A350 isn't too impressive either (50% less engine but only 25% less fuel burn) :D

Yes, terrible comparisons - but he is probably talking in layman's terms and not go in to CASK... the audience would be lost if he did!

As for fuel saving, I think the 25% less number is not against that of the A380!

Heh heh, I guess it's just unfortunate the manner that piece of journalism has turned out

Plus manner in which brain has decided to enter pre-weekend mode already :D

Did some basic math comparing fully loaded 77W and fully loaded dugong on a same 7 hours 30 minutes trip. Dugong edged 77W slightly on fuel efficiency per seat.

But of course, when adding cabin crew factor and overflight and landing charges, it wiped out all the fuel savings. And that is if they can fill up the entire plane.

And no, i have no idea about yield, leasing cost etc.

SIN, PEN and BKK on the A359 can now be purchased! Inaugural on 9 December 2017.

Is MH expecting to receive two A359s by then? Thats the only way to do BKK and SIN in the same afternoon.

Is MH expecting to receive two A359s by then? Thats the only way to do BKK and SIN in the same afternoon.

I noticed that too. Both -MAB and -MAC (negaraku cs) are undergoing cabin fit at station 20 right now. So the delivery may be in short gap interval or at the same time! PEN should be the inaugural A350 flight then.

Looks like that SIN was an error. Back to the scheduled 738 just now.

I noticed that too. Both -MAB and -MAC (negaraku cs) are undergoing cabin fit at station 20 right now. So the delivery may be in short gap interval or at the same time! PEN should be the inaugural A350 flight then.

So MH will indeed recycle their registration numbers.

The registration "9M-MAB" was last seen on a Fokker F-27 Friendship, IIRC.

Edited by S V Choong

to mark the transition of MAB from old MAS. i'm wondering if MH will register 9M-MAX on their upcoming 737 MAX :nea:

There's a finite number of registrations they can use if they want a 3-letter code beginning with M. There's bound to be a repeat at some point.

to mark the transition of MAB from old MAS. i'm wondering if MH will register 9M-MAX on their upcoming 737 MAX :nea:

I highly doubt they're going to mess up the sequence just for the novelty of "MAX". They can only have MAY and MAZ before having to start a new "series".

I guess they can reserve the 9M-MAX reggo for their first 737 Max, just like Airasia did with 9M-NEO for the A320Neo. Other 737Max planes delivered can follow their normal registration sequence.

Coming back to the A350, the 9M-MA* series will come to an end when they get their sixth aircraft. The A380 series finished at 9M-MNF and the A350 series will end at 9M-MAG.

A bit off topic, can numbers be used in place of alphabets when registering aircrafts in Malaysia, for example 9M-MA1? I know some airlines does that especially in China, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.

Back to topic, what is the seat pitch for Y in MH A350?

A bit off topic, can numbers be used in place of alphabets when registering aircrafts in Malaysia, for example 9M-MA1? I know some airlines does that especially in China, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.

Yeah. -NAA or -NAB can be re-registered as 9M-MO1. That would be cool!

Coming back to the A350, the 9M-MA* series will come to an end when they get their sixth aircraft .....the A350 series will end at 9M-MAG.

Wonder if they will give 9M-MAD a skip ? :)

Wonder if they will give 9M-MAD a skip ? :)

MSN 183 9M-MAD is currently undergoing final assembly process

I guess they can reserve the 9M-MAX reggo for their first 737 Max, just like Airasia did with 9M-NEO for the A320Neo. Other 737Max planes delivered can follow their normal registration sequence.

Coming back to the A350, the 9M-MA* series will come to an end when they get their sixth aircraft. The A380 series finished at 9M-MNF and the A350 series will end at 9M-MAG.

Looking forward. Hope they are able to do just like Airasia 9M-NEO and FlyDubai 1st MAX A6-MAX