MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

MAB A350-900 Regional Flights to PEN, BKK, SIN & BKI from 9 December 2017

From AusBT:

“We’ll also be doing a lot with the food, a lot with the experience on board and a lot with the experience on the ground at London and Kuala Lumpur, and that will give a lot of added benefit to our [First] customers," Bellew previously shared with Australian Business Traveller.

A second European route for the final pair of A350s remains under consideration, with Bellew previously telling Australian Business Traveller that this would hinge on a joint venture agreement with another airline. "If we can form a joint venture with another airline it might make sense, because it's the ideal way to get another European destination. The only way I can see it succeeding would be to work closely with another carrier." Failing that, "we’ll use them for something like services to Shanghai and Tokyo."

My highlight in bold. Current FCL dining on MH is just an additional main course option compared to J (excluding appetizers, canapés, desserts, and Chef-on-Call).

This is the same as Lufthansa's ex-US routes between F and J meals (an additional main course option plus different appetizers etc.). But then again, I've never had mind blowing food ex-US on any airline in any cabin.

JV with another European airline? LH Group is out - so KL/AF/AY/IB? God forbid, Wizz Air? :D

From AusBT:

JV with another European airline? LH Group is out - so KL/AF/AY/IB? God forbid, Wizz Air? :D

Their JV with KL still intact. i hope they will fly to MAD and JV with IB to destination in South America.

From AusBT:

My highlight in bold. Current FCL dining on MH is just an additional main course option compared to J (excluding appetizers, canapés, desserts, and Chef-on-Call).

This is the same as Lufthansa's ex-US routes between F and J meals (an additional main course option plus different appetizers etc.). But then again, I've never had mind blowing food ex-US on any airline in any cabin.

Guess MH JV with EK is meeting or exceed expectation to seek for more JV.

People get excited over the idea of JVs but when it actually happens, they realise that itineraries involving codeshares aren't always cheap. Then they book a ticket with the ME3.

Maybe HEL with AY??

There isn't that much O&D between HEL and KUL and it'll pretty much be a transfer hub. Plus, a stopover in HEL could cost an arm and a leg for most Malaysians ;)

There isn't that much O&D between HEL and KUL and it'll pretty much be a transfer hub. Plus, a stopover in HEL could cost an arm and a leg for most Malaysians ;)

LHR isn't cheaper as a stopover destination. I personally would prefer going through HEL.

LHR isn't cheaper as a stopover destination. I personally would prefer going through HEL.

Maybe I haven't explored HEL as much as you did, but food is definitely way more expensive compared to London. And HEL is quite boring TBH. I've been there a few times - lovely city and people for sure, but not much to offer. A short plane/boat hop to Tallinn is very nice tho :)

People get excited over the idea of JVs but when it actually happens, they realise that itineraries involving codeshares aren't always cheap. Then they book a ticket with the ME3.

I realize this too. Wonder why airlines get into code-shares then.. hm..

I realize this too. Wonder why airlines get into code-shares then.. hm..

I think that code shares are a relic from yesteryear when people bought air tickets from travel agents.

Guess depending on which fare bracket is charged by/to partner airlines.

Oh. They are required?

Yes, still. The A350 not sufficiently far down the evolutionary path for them to have come up with the NEO option yet

Malaysia Airlines to get its first Airbus A350-900 early December

TOULOUSE: Malaysia Airlines Bhd expects the first delivery of its A350-900 to be made in the first week of December this year.

Its chief executive officer Peter Bellew said six units of the A350-900 would be leased from the Los Angeles based aircraft leaser Air Lease Corp under a 12-year programme."We will have a 40 per cent reduction in operating cost for the direct flight to London compared to the A380," he told reporters at the A350 assembly line in Toulouse, yesterday.

He added that the operating cost reduction offers the airline a readability to be profitable on the London-Kuala Lumpur route.

"The A350 XWB(extra wide body) version is capable of accommodating 286 passengers with four different classes of cabin arrangements namely first class, business class, seats economy plus and economy class," he said. He said the first four A350s will be catered for the London-Kuala Lumpur flight, replacing the super jumbo A380."We have yet to determine the destination for the remaining two of the A350s," he said.

Malaysia Airlines expects the six units of the A350-900 to all be delivered by June next year.

Bellew said the first A350 flight to London will be on January 15 next year.

According to Airbus, the first and business classes seats arrangement are supplied by Thompson Vantage, while the economy plus and economy by B/E Aerospace Pinnacle B.

The A350 is said to consume 25 per cent less fuel.

https://www.nst.com.my/business/2017/10/290169/malaysia-airlines-get-its-first-airbus-a350-900-early-december

Edited by kandiah k