MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

MAB A350-900 Regional Flights to PEN, BKK, SIN & BKI from 9 December 2017

How many are we leasing? 6?

Enough to cover LHR, NRT and AKL?

As for the rebranding....the UK/Europe passengers will be getting a new livery.

The "swoosh" livery will be new to Europe/US as the last flights there were flown by the venerable B777 and current "Landor" A380s.

No matter what livery u put on the A380 it is difficult to get a decent looking one due to the double deck dugong sized fuselage this is where the 747 looks much better in looks. IMO the MAS swoosh livery looks good enough on the A350 luckily it wasnt painted on the A380, now its up to MAB to keep it looking clean outside and inside.

It will have 4 class configuration - first, business, economy plus and economy

I thought I read somewhere that Malaysians do not like Y+, so why 4 class cabin?

The swoosh livery was a re-branding gone wrong, and never recover.

Anyway give me the Hibiscus color on the A380 anytime.

No matter what livery u put on the A380 it is difficult to get a decent looking one due to the double deck dugong sized fuselage this is where the 747 looks much better in looks. IMO the MAS swoosh livery looks good enough on the A350 luckily it wasnt painted on the A380, now its up to MAB to keep it looking clean outside and inside.

the only livery that fits the A380 is the billboard title livery like with Emirates and Singapore Airlines

also since the A350 will soon take over AKL and NRT A330 flights, the A330 could be moved to other popular routes currently using the 737?

Edited by David.W

Rebranding costs money and this may not be something they can or want to do right now.

What I think MAB needs to focus on is to get the hard and soft products right on the A350. Take South African's new A330 interior as a good example.

Keep the same branding, but enhance it in the interior using colors, designed panels etc. China Airlines is doing this, so is South African Airways

Priestmangoode has been designing some great cabin interiors

Also remember, MAB is supposed to get new cabin crew uniforms. Is this still happening?

https://thedesignair.net/2014/04/03/its-a-taiwanese-revolution-bring-on-china-airlines/

https://thedesignair.net/2014/03/31/thai-airways-updated-cabins-by-priestmangoode/

priestmangoode-south-african-airways-a33

priestmangoode-south-african-airways-a33pg_thai-b777_economy-class.jpg?w=710&h=3

Am I asking for too much?

Edited by David.W

the only livery that fits the A380 is the billboard title livery like with Emirates and Singapore Airlines

also since the A350 will soon take over AKL and NRT A330 flights, the A330 could be moved to other popular routes currently using the 737?

I think the Thai livery looks great on the A380. So is Korean Air's existing baby blue livery. Don't forget Etihad's Diamond livery too. I don't think Swooshy livery looked bad on the A380, as long as they don't crop the Wau.

Keep the same branding, but enhance it in the interior using colors, designed panels etc.

What branding has MH currently ?

When you have a kite that can be of different colours, slanted/stylized in whichever orientation and pasted on differently on different planes

Wanna get started on the fonts employed ?

Then there is matter of identity - premium, cheapo, ultra cheapo ..... ?

Mind you, would work a dream if intended branding is themed 'rojak' - much like BA's world tail adventure (and what a 'success' that was !) :)

The livery that I loved the most for years is SIA although the design was century aged already. What I hope for MAB to do is the consistency in branding, improves hard and soft product when the company start to gain profit.

Yes, indeed!

MAB's problem is with yields - the A380 has some of of the company's best hard and soft products. Yet, not enough people want to fly with them. That has caused them to rethink and reduce capacity. The pax who will fly with MAB are not able to pay higher fares that other airlines charge. Those who can afford it will fly with premium airlines like SQ. So you can see MAB's dilemma - spend a lot of money on better product but yields don't improve.

As a result of this - MAB can only afford to spend money on products that its normal customers are willing and able to pay for. There is not much point in having the best cabin in the world if it flies empty.

I just hope that MAB clean their planes more often, especially the interior.

I cannot agree with you more. The planes are dirty. The ceiling and overhead compartments have dust and black stains including finger and palm stains. Chairs and tray tables dirty.

Yes, indeed!

MAB's problem is with yields - the A380 has some of of the company's best hard and soft products. Yet, not enough people want to fly with them. That has caused them to rethink and reduce capacity. The pax who will fly with MAB are not able to pay higher fares that other airlines charge. Those who can afford it will fly with premium airlines like SQ. So you can see MAB's dilemma - spend a lot of money on better product but yields don't improve.

As a result of this - MAB can only afford to spend money on products that its normal customers are willing and able to pay for. There is not much point in having the best cabin in the world if it flies empty.

After numerous over promises and disappointment, those could pay premium fare ( i.e J class) need not to take chance with MAB.

In EY, MAB is using plastic cutlery, while major competitors like SQ, QR, EK, etc are using stainless steel cutlery. Naturally, pax associate MAB with cheaper products and cheaper price.

To reduce seat capacity from A380 to A359 may improve yield but doubt it could charge higher fare than competitors at the current offering.

I thought I read somewhere that Malaysians do not like Y+, so why 4 class cabin?

This might shock you but not all of MH's passengers are Malaysians. What matters is the market they're serving.

CX realized Y+ isn't cut out for their Middle East/South Asia routes, so they axed it. Does that mean HKers don't like Y+? I don't think so :)

I think MAB is trying its best to improve yields - Y pax prefer a FSC at LCC prices. So having Y+ will enable MAB to increase its yield at a relatively low cost. It is just some extra legroom for its taller pax who would otherwise be squashed up on a long haul flight - highly uncomfortable.

It's a good thing they will readjust the "wau bulan" logo position to original position.

Edited by Md Amer

What I think MAB needs to focus on is to get the hard and soft products right on the A350. Take South African's new A330 interior as a good example.

Keep the same branding, but enhance it in the interior using colors, designed panels etc. China Airlines is doing this, so is South African Airways

Priestmangoode has been designing some great cabin interiors

Also remember, MAB is supposed to get new cabin crew uniforms. Is this still happening?

https://thedesignair.net/2014/04/03/its-a-taiwanese-revolution-bring-on-china-airlines/

https://thedesignair.net/2014/03/31/thai-airways-updated-cabins-by-priestmangoode/

priestmangoode-south-african-airways-a33pg_thai-b777_economy-class.jpg?w=710&h=3

Your wish came through....half of it at least.

Supposedly leaked Malaysia Airlines A350 seats: https://www.facebook.com/A350ProductionNews/posts/1881804642106527

-4 First class

-35 Business

-27 Premium Economy

-220 Economy

Total: 286

Suppliers: Thompson Aero & B/E Aerospace

Malaysia Airlines will not see re-branding: http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/transport/the-irish-touch-thats-mending-malaysia-airlines

Looks like the "Premium Economy" is going to be similar to what's currently being offered on the current A330. Economy Plus, standard economy seats with more leg room.

Looks like the "Premium Economy" is going to be similar to what's currently being offered on the current A330. Economy Plus, standard economy seats with more leg room.

Yes, it is exactly the same product as we see on the A330.

What airlines use B/E Aerospace economy seats

Thai Airways, South African Airways, Virgin Australia, Southwest Airlines, Air Canada, British Airways, American Airlines

Edited by JuliusWong

csm_Malaysia_Airlines_signs_with_Airbus_

Malaysia Airlines signs with Airbus for A350 XWB flight training

21 MARCH 2017 PRESS RELEASE
Langkawi, 21st March 2017 - Malaysia Airlines Berhad (MAB) has signed an agreement with the Airbus Asia Training Centre (AATC) in Singapore to provide A350 XWB training to the carrier’s flight crew.
The contract will cover complete courses for flight crew transition to the new A350 XWB, as well as regular recurrent training services.
The agreement was signed today at the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace (LIMA) Exhibition 2017 by Nik Azli Abu Zahar, Executive Counsel, Malaysia Airlines and Jean-Francois Laval, Executive Vice President, Asia, Airbus.
According to Malaysia Airlines Chief Operations Officer, Capt Izham Ismail, “The A350 XWB will play a key role in our future fleet and network expansion plan. The Airbus training centre in Singapore offers the full range of courses and facilities, including state-of-the-art full flight simulators, to enable us to train our crews for this new aircraft type. This will be an efficient and cost-effective solution for Malaysia Airlines, with crews being trained close to home” he added.
“AATC is proud to work with Malaysia Airlines and support the carrier’s flight crew training needs for its A350 XWB fleet,” said Jean-Francois Laval, Executive Vice President, Asia, Airbus. “This latest agreement underscores the close partnership between Airbus and Malaysia Airlines.”
Malaysia Airlines will take delivery of its first A350-900 at the end of this year. Altogether the airline will acquire six aircraft on lease from Air Lease Corporation. The airline will operate the aircraft on premium long haul routes, with a luxurious three-class layout.
AATC in Singapore is part of the Airbus global flight training network, which also includes training centres in Toulouse, Miami and Beijing. The Airbus training centres all offer identical courses, with the latest facilities, including full flight simulators and fixed training devices.

The airline will operate the aircraft on premium long haul routes, with a luxurious three-class layout.

So will the A350 be a 3- or 4-class layout actually? Whom shall we trust?