MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

MAB A350-900 Regional Flights to PEN, BKK, SIN & BKI from 9 December 2017

Previously leaked configuration:

F class

116krw2.jpg

J class- was still in design phase when the photo were leaked.

Y+ and Y class

jqqsdf.jpg

Crew rest

2uzt7vn.jpg

(Please do not ask me how I get these renderings.)

Edited by JuliusWong

Looks like the Y+ on these early leaks just shows something similar to the extra legroom Y currently on the refurbished A330.

Here's to hoping that they'll use Vantage XL on J!

Thanks for the images, appreciate it!

Edited by RaymondT

I, for one, think that MAB should only have J, Y+ and Y class offering. The "brand" is too damaged to actually command a "premium" price tag. MAB just cannot command premium passengers market like those of SQ, CX and QR alike. Malaysia is leisure driven market.........However, this is my personal opinion though. :)

Agree that the brand has turned toxic - it will be avoided by many as long as MH370 remains unsolved.

MAB does not have money to throw about these days, so every expense will be carefully evaluated. I don't hold up much hope that the hard products will be vastly superior to their existing ones.

Previously leaked configuration:

F class

116krw2.jpg

J class- was still in design phase when the photo were leaked.

Y+ and Y class

jqqsdf.jpg

Crew rest

2uzt7vn.jpg

(Please do not ask me how I get these rendering

This one comes out from Airbus. So, the first class seat is grey coloured, signifies hint for new branding and livery color?

This one comes out from Airbus. So, the first class seat is grey coloured, signifies hint for new branding and livery color?

That is RM3.2billion question that no one can answer. There are so much buzz about new uniform and new livery but PB has stated new livery is last thing in his mind now. The current swoosh livery looks LCC-ish enough since MAB inflight service is heading that way......

Credit due to MAB , at least their new F class is not something out of general catalogue unlike Y seats. :)

wow!! That's impressive !!!

I read somewhere (could not recall it) that Garuda will invest and install lie flat seats on its 737.

And some of its domestic routes like Jakarta to Jayapura is actually about 6 hours of flying time, and it is non-stop!!

I read somewhere (could not recall it) that Garuda will invest and install lie flat seats on its 737.

And some of its domestic routes like Jakarta to Jayapura is actually about 6 hours of flying time, and it is non-stop!!

Interesting. Can't imagine they would do it across the fleet though. And they don't have to have lie-flats on this route that I think they have a monopoly over.

With MAB heading towards LCC-ish business strategy, lie-flat on narrow body will be like looking for unicorn on Earth. We should be "happy" they don't do it a la European airlines style...block middle seat per block Y seats and separate J and Y cabin with a curtain instead of a proper divider.....

Introducing lie flat seat on route less than 3 hours is such waste of money. There's no time to sleep, you only have it lie flat during cruising period minus dining time. Recline seat is acceptable.

Introducing lie flat seat on route less than 3 hours is such waste of money. There's no time to sleep, you only have it lie flat during cruising period minus dining time. Recline seat is acceptable.

Not if the pax is transited from long haul or on red-eye flight.

I think we are looking at different uses here. Jetblue Mint cabin is for medium haul transcontinental route which last 6.5 hours above and flight to the Caribbean which has consistent premium passengers. Aer Lingus use their 757 on transatlantic flight again with huge J demand. The flight duration for both examples warrant a full flat bed. For regional flight within Asia more than 3 hours, I would say a decent lie flat would be sufficient. Less than 3, a good recliner seat would suffice.

If MAB wants to have thin and long routes using the A321neoLR, then those mint cabins etc would be great.

Also, with regards to the LCC traits, I still find how Air NZ does it is a pretty good compromise.

Y = LCC styled, basic fair, buy on board, add-ons and packages etc... but from Y+ on wards, it's a full service carrier.

If MAB wants to have thin and long routes using the A321neoLR, then those mint cabins etc would be great.

Also, with regards to the LCC traits, I still find how Air NZ does it is a pretty good compromise.

Y = LCC styled, basic fair, buy on board, add-ons and packages etc... but from Y+ on wards, it's a full service carrier.

Agree with you. Air NZ has been having consistent years of profit due to its flexible pricing and product offering.

After PB placed the B737MAX order, A321neoLR is out of the window.

Agree with you. Air NZ has been having consistent years of profit due to its flexible pricing and product offering.

After PB placed the B737MAX order, A321neoLR is out of the window.

It's only firmed for 25 MAX 8 though. While the 25 option is for both 8 & 9, they are both too small and don't fly far enough for some long and thin route.

It's only firmed for 25 MAX 8 though. While the 25 option is for both 8 & 9, they are both too small and don't fly far enough for some long and thin route.

After committing to the B737Max for narrow body fleet, there is very little prospect of them going for an A321Neo LR. It is just too costly to have a subfleet for a business segment that is high risk.

Latest on MAB's A350s

1. Delivery is delayed by about a month due to Airbus still trying to get to grips with their cabin suppliers' problems
  2. It will have 4 class configuration - first, business, economy plus and economy
  3. Livery will be the current MH swoosh livery - the wau will be centrally positioned on the tail and not go all the way to the edge
  4. Crew training flights will be to SIN and BKK (probably in Dec 2017)
  5. First long haul KUL-LHR flights to begin in Jan 2018 - on MH4
  6. When more aircraft are delivered, MH1 will also be an A350 flight
  7. When all aircraft are delivered, KUL-AKL and KUL-NRT flights will also be on A350s
Edited by flee

Latest on MAB's A350s

1. Delivery is delayed by about a month due to Airbus still trying to get to grips with their cabin suppliers' problems
  2. It will have 4 class configuration - first, business, economy plus and economy
  3. Livery will be the current MH swoosh livery - the wau will be centrally positioned on the tail and not go all the way to the edge
  4. Crew training flights will be to SIN and BKK (probably in Dec 2017)
  5. First long haul KUL-LHR flights to begin in Jan 2018 - on MH4
  6. When more aircraft are delivered, MH1 will also be an A350 flight
  7. When all aircraft are delivered, KUL-AKL and KUL-NRT flights will also be on A350s

Glad to learn that the Wau will be placed centrally and not being cropped by the edge of the tail. Cropping the logo at the edge of tail looked so cheap and tardy.

The swoosh livery is much better than the silly Landor designed A380 livery to be honest.

Has any of the A380 been repainted yet? Why wouldn't they just change the livery to standard swoosh livery if they have been repainted?

As far I I know the Landor blue livery is done specifically for A380 therefore the fleet won't be repainted and they are heading off for charter arm, not financial wise to repaint an "outgoing" fleet.

I find it perplexing why they don't take this opportunity in introducing A350 new fleet to introduce a new livery and branding concept/ new MAB experience?? All media will be on Malaysia Airlines. Maximum exposure.

I find it perplexing why they don't take this opportunity in introducing A350 new fleet to introduce a new livery and branding concept/ new MAB experience?? All media will be on Malaysia Airlines. Maximum exposure.

Rebranding costs money and this may not be something they can or want to do right now.

Introduce yet another livery, and replace a brand theme that was introduced in the not-too-distant past? Whatever for? To give the media something to write about?

My personal view is that the swoosh is better looking than the monochrome Landor designed A380 livery....

31094996431_bd07d39ef9_c.jpg

Rebranding costs money and this may not be something they can or want to do right now.

Yes, the execution of a rebranding needs to be spot on. Otherwise, it will misfire. That was what happened with the A380 - the livery did not reflect the aspirations of the airline.

I think that MAB has already decided against rebranding right from the very beginning. They should be working to improve their product and services before any rebranding can be done. Otherwise there will be nothing new to rebrand!