MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

MAB A350-900 Regional Flights to PEN, BKK, SIN & BKI from 9 December 2017

You mean charging all passengers with the exception of OWE and F for seat assignments, cramming 8-across J in a 777 without direct aisle access, and for passengers connecting to other regional flights - cramming the maximum allowable seats in MH 737 (BA is going to have 180-seater 320 just like AK), buy-on-board on all regional flights including water, introducing HBO fares, not interlining bags even though you are flying the same airline, handing out Kit Kat bars after a 6-7 hour flight instead of a light meal? I sure hope not!

MH is light years ahead of BA right now. Let's not start the race to the bottom with BA.

Well said.

You mean charging all passengers with the exception of OWE and F for seat assignments, cramming 8-across J in a 777 without direct aisle access, and for passengers connecting to other regional flights - cramming the maximum allowable seats in MH 737 (BA is going to have 180-seater 320 just like AK), buy-on-board on all regional flights including water, introducing HBO fares, not interlining bags even though you are flying the same airline, handing out Kit Kat bars after a 6-7 hour flight instead of a light meal? I sure hope not!

MH is light years ahead of BA right now. Let's not start the race to the bottom with BA.

Gee, that is a rather wide interpretation of my comment!

All I meant was for MH to take a look at the competition so that it can benchmark itself on the route. BA are direct competitors, the Gulf carriers are indirect competitors. MH has a chance to leapfrog the competition with its A350 products. So it would be negligent of MH not to check out the competition.

Give PB background, recent inclination at MH and MH is more keen to compete with AK/D7, MH is likely to pack A359 to the maximum capacity. Believe CASM is a KPI; 10 abreast A350 with 30" seat pitch, advanced super thin seat?

Edited by KK Lee

Manufacture of parts of Malaysia Airlines’ A350 XWB Begins in Malaysia

csm_Airbus_A350_XWB_J-Panel_wing_compone

17 NOVEMBER 2016 PRESS RELEASE
Manufacture of parts for the first of six new Airbus A350-900s for Malaysia Airlines Berhad (MAB) has begun around the world – including here in Malaysia.
CTRM and Spirits Aerosystems, two of Airbus’ Malaysia-based industrial partners, have begun producing components for the aircraft at their plants in Melaka and Subang, respectively.
Airbus A350 XWB work undertaken at CTRM and Spirit Aerosystems currently includes the manufacture of components for wings and engine nacelles.
Powered by two Rolls Royce Trent XWB engines, MAB’s six new A350-900s will be acquired on lease from Aircraft Lease Corporation (ALC) and will be delivered between the fourth quarter of 2017 and the second quarter of 2018. The airline will operate the aircraft on its premium routes with a luxurious three class layout.
The A350 XWB is the world’s latest generation airliner and the newest member of Airbus’ modern, comfortable & efficient widebody product family. It features the latest aerodynamic design, carbon fiber fuselage and wings, plus new fuel-efficient Rolls-Royce Trent XWB engines. Together, these latest technologies translate into unrivalled levels of operational efficiency, with a 25 per cent reduction in fuel burn and emissions, and significantly lower maintenance costs.
To date, Airbus has recorded a total of 810 firm orders for the A350 XWB from 43 customers worldwide, already making it one of the most successful widebody aircraft ever.
Source: Airbus

The minimum pitch for a proper Y+ product would have to be at least 36" and the width should be wider than the normal Y seat, so 2-4-2 on the A350 would work well.

All I meant was for MH to take a look at the competition so that it can benchmark itself on the route. BA are direct competitors, the Gulf carriers are indirect competitors. MH has a chance to leapfrog the competition with its A350 products. So it would be negligent of MH not to check out the competition.

BA doesn't exactly set a benchmark on any route, let alone KUL-LHR. Their 787s (and their entire fleet, for that matter) aren't any better than MH's A380s, especially in the premium cabins. Unless, you're telling me 2-3-2 in long-haul J is socially acceptable in 2016.

They could definitely leapfrog the competition with showers, bars, 1-1-1 setup in J etc, but you're the one who said MH doesn't attract that sort of clientele :)

If you are looking at solely KUL-LHR nonstop market, then yes. But I believe both BA and MH targets a lot of traffic outside those market as well.

MH is still light years ahead of BA in terms of passenger comfort so I don't believe they should benchmark against BA. The A350s aren't going to be used solely for LHR either.

I cannot speak for F, Y+ or Y.... but ignoring's BA's hard product as well as their silly requirement of paying for seat assignments up to J class.

Earlier this year I had the chance to experience my first MH A380 J experience to LHR, followed by my first BA 747 J experience out of LHR.

Plane/noise level aside, if given a choice between those two experiences, I would pick the BA flight over MH any day. The hard product, while is stupid, (I picked the specific seats that gave me direct access as well as no neighbours climbing over me... yes, I paid for it,and it was worth it), was actually more comfortable than the MAS flight. Service was better, the food was better, the seat cushion was softer and more comfortable, entertainment selection larger... granted the amenities kit was pathetic.. and you can't watch your programs gate to gate and personal storage is non-existence, but overall I felt more rejuvenated after the BA flight then I was coming out of the MH flight.

I was on the upper deck for both the MH and BA flight, both were over 10 hours.. in fact the BA flight had every reason to feel worse considering I just finished 13 hours on MH!

Hard product wise MH's new J, front row throne seat is fantastic. Service was good with my last travel with them in August. Only thing lacking now is catering.

Oh you haven't heard the latest shenanigans from a certain A.Cruz? Credit card charge fee just went up too :)

Yes I agree MH is a long way ahead in the customer service stakes right now.

Edited by Suzanne Goh

I would definitely fly MH over BA between KUL and LHR.

A reason why mh is doing poorly in yield on this route is not all pax are o&d.

Wonder how does BA's A380 seats fare against BA's B747 seats. Are they the same?

A reason why mh is doing poorly in yield on this route is not all pax are o&d.

Believe airlines like SQ and EK also get quite a number of transit pax. Are they doing poorly in yields?

Believe airlines like SQ and EK also get quite a number of transit pax. Are they doing poorly in yields?

Yes, according to their latest quarterly financial reports.

MAB does not publish any financial reports but their load factors are still below 70%. This will definitely impact yields negatively.

Yes, according to their latest quarterly financial reports.

MAB does not publish any financial reports but their load factors are still below 70%. This will definitely impact yields negatively.

Ah, I get it now. Higher loads = higher yields.

What about CASK? Any expert analysis on that?

I cannot speak for F, Y+ or Y.... but ignoring's BA's hard product as well as their silly requirement of paying for seat assignments up to J class.

Earlier this year I had the chance to experience my first MH A380 J experience to LHR, followed by my first BA 747 J experience out of LHR.

Plane/noise level aside, if given a choice between those two experiences, I would pick the BA flight over MH any day. The hard product, while is stupid, (I picked the specific seats that gave me direct access as well as no neighbours climbing over me... yes, I paid for it,and it was worth it), was actually more comfortable than the MAS flight. Service was better, the food was better, the seat cushion was softer and more comfortable, entertainment selection larger... granted the amenities kit was pathetic.. and you can't watch your programs gate to gate and personal storage is non-existence, but overall I felt more rejuvenated after the BA flight then I was coming out of the MH flight.

I was on the upper deck for both the MH and BA flight, both were over 10 hours.. in fact the BA flight had every reason to feel worse considering I just finished 13 hours on MH!

Hard product wise MH's new J, front row throne seat is fantastic. Service was good with my last travel with them in August. Only thing lacking now is catering.

What you got, on the BA 744 J upper deck -is the best experience in the entire fleet. Go downstairs on a super hi-86J config 744, or ride a LGW 772, and your opinion might change.

There are far more variations and configs where the MH offering would come out ahead. 62/64AK on the 744 is a minor blip

Ah, I get it now. Higher loads = higher yields.

What about CASK? Any expert analysis on that?

Not necessarily - there isn't a general "rule" - it differs from airline to airline. In MAB's case, they need a high load factor just to achieve break even.

Yes, you are correct, CASK plays are part in profitability - so does RASK and load factor.

Malaysia Airlines has selected a 287-seat four-class (first, business, premium economy and economy) configuration for its A350s, which are slated to be delivered from Oct-2017 to May-2018. The six A350s will be used to take over both Kuala Lumpur-London flights in Apr-2018 or May-2018, and will also be used for some regional routes within Asia Pacific – likely including Kuala Lumpur- Auckland.

According to CAPA analysis, MH A359 to be configured with four-class with 4 first class seats, 36 business class seats , 27 premium class seats and 220 economy class seats. Thompson is supplying the first ( Vantage XL? ) and business class seats ( Vantage? ), while the economy seats are being supplied by B/E Aerospace.

Edited by Wan

According to CAPA analysis, MH A359 to be configured with four-class with 4 first class seats, 36 business class seats , 27 premium class seats and 220 economy class seats. Thompson is supplying the first ( Vantage XL? ) and business class seats ( Vantage? ), while the economy seats are being supplied by B/E Aerospace.

I'm curious - does this spell the end for Y to J MHupgrades?

I'm curious - does this spell the end for Y to J MHupgrades?

A smart way to devalue enrich miles or increase redemption ticket revenue.

One could be loyal to an airline or ffp, doesn't mean the airline or ffp is loyal to pax.

Edited by KK Lee

A smart way to devalue enrich miles or increase redemption ticket revenue.

One could be loyal to an airline or ffp, doesn't mean the airline or ffp is loyal to pax.

I don't think Chris Tan is talking about upgrading via enrich miles. But rather currently MH has this "bidding" option to upgrade to the next class up. Ie. you guy Y tickets, and they ask you to bid for your J tickets and if you're the highest bidder, you get the seat. Air NZ has this as well.

So with Y+ coming into play, it means that your bid will be from Y to Y+, and if you want a chance to bid for J, you'll need to be a holder of a Y+ ticket to begin with.

What you got, on the BA 744 J upper deck -is the best experience in the entire fleet. Go downstairs on a super hi-86J config 744, or ride a LGW 772, and your opinion might change.

There are far more variations and configs where the MH offering would come out ahead. 62/64AK on the 744 is a minor blip

I was on the super hi-86J config and I do agree that downstairs does look really bad/messy/packed. But my opinion was of the seat's cushion (softer/more comfy) versus MH's A380 J, as well as the quality of the food provided.

I think it would be more suitable that The Vantage XL be the business class with a proper first class (similar to the current one in the A380)

MAB are planning to retire the A380s and reconfigure them to high density seating. Is it possible that they might want to save some money and rip out the first and/or business class seats from the A380 and fit them on the A350?

MAB are planning to retire the A380s and reconfigure them to high density seating. Is it possible that they might want to save some money and rip out the first and/or business class seats from the A380 and fit them on the A350?

God forbids. Have you seen the condition of their A380 lately?