MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

MAB A350-900 Regional Flights to PEN, BKK, SIN & BKI from 9 December 2017

It's sad Jani but I would prefer to have a lean, flexible, profitable airline with A350s as their flagship and see them continue to expand and regain their fabulous reputation which they so deserve

The yields on the LHR runs using the 359s will in all likelihood improve for MH. But for the bargain hunters, there will be less discounted fares on offer as there simply arent as much surplus capacity as we see now with the 380s.

AA as in American airline has deferred their a350 delivery. May be mh should pick up the production slot if it is to regenerate long haul route from 2018.

A350 being 4-class almost certainly means it is targeted to be the replacement for the A380.

A bit sad really, that our new flagship is just SQ's workhorse ;)

A 4-class A350 could also be a hedge - i.e. MAB wants this product to be the same as the A380 so that the two aircraft can operate on the same route interchangeably. In the event that the A380s don't find a buyer, MAB will need to find an alternative role for it. And that might mean operating one of the flights to LHR while the A350 is used on the second daily flight.

MH and SQ date back to 1 October 1970 - the current situation did not take place overnight. For this period, SQ was mostly run as a commercial enterprise. MH? - well, everyone knows about abuse, government interference, etc.....

Edited by flee

Are they persevering with the Philippines flag theme then ?

Regardless, please someone do one thing outside the box and paint over that silly looking zorro mask :)

Are they persevering with the Philippines flag theme then ?

Regardless, please someone do one thing outside the box and paint over that silly looking zorro mask :)

I have a feeling Dato Farah Khan will come up with something elegant to replace the "swoosh" livery. As for the zorro mask, nothing much MH can do as it is standard equipment. All current operators have them on.DSC_0039.jpg

81eab8f004.jpg

As far as I know the "Zorro Mask" has safety reasons, it is to avoid that the pilots are blinded by sun reflexion on the window surrounding paint...

I actually read it was because of spare parts. Something along the lines of because of the shape of the windows, the outward facing piece will need to be painted to match the livery of the plane.. so everyone just agreed to have it painted black as a standard

I have a feeling Dato Farah Khan will come up with something elegant to replace the "swoosh" livery.

Farah Khan can't be designing the new livery.

I actually read it was because of spare parts. Something along the lines of because of the shape of the windows, the outward facing piece will need to be painted to match the livery of the plane.. so everyone just agreed to have it painted black as a standard

That is correct.

While in the past, airlines did indeed used to paint the nose section just ahead of the cockpit windows to reduce glare, the A350 was mainly for commonality of the window frames.

You are correct, saw this tweet: Figured out why A350 wears the Zorro mask: Airlines can change a windshield without need to match paint. @jonostrower

You are correct, saw this tweet: Figured out why A350 wears the Zorro mask: Airlines can change a windshield without need to match paint. @jonostrower

I am not sure how often airlines need to change the windscreen, but I managed to observe FY's 9M-FIB having a replacement windscreen fitted that does not have the Zorro mask.

20150315_SZB_9M-FIB_900_00.jpg

" Powered by two Rolls Royce Trent XWB engines, MAB’s six new A350-900s will be acquired on lease from Aircraft Lease Corporation (ALC) and will be delivered between the fourth quarter of 2017 and the second quarter of 2018. The airline will operate the aircraft on its premium routes with a luxurious three class layout."

- Facebook Malaysia Airlines

* so this MH A359 will be configure with F, J, Y class or J, Y+, Y class ?

After having the new "regional beating" Js on the A330 (which i find is very underwhelming)...

I most likely suspect it to be J, Y+ and Y.

Would have been better had they went for the Thomson Vantage XL though. I wonder if they would do so for the A350 with the wider cross section.

It would make more sense to fit out the A350s with J, Y+ and Y. Why have F only on one route?

I think the MH A350-900 will serve more than one route - KUL-AKL is most likely to be served by it, in addition to the KUL-LHR runs.

As the MAB CEO comes from an LCC background, his priority is to sell more seats. We already know that the customer profile of MH is largely price sensitive - there isn't much demand for F. It would therefore be wise to have a good J product so that they can sell these with confidence. On long haul flights, Y+ pax would appreciate some extra space (probably 34" seat pitch 2-4-2) and this will also to help boost yields. Y can then have the standard A350 3-3-3 configuration.

MAB's problem is to get the mix of seats right - hopefully, they will carefully look at their current customer profile for the routes and also what BA is offering. It is imperative they get the A350-900 products absolutely spot on. Otherwise, they can kiss long haul flying goodbye.

MAB's problem is to get the mix of seats right - hopefully, they will carefully look at their current customer profile for the routes and also what BA is offering. It is imperative they get the A350-900 products absolutely spot on. Otherwise, they can kiss long haul flying goodbye.

You mean charging all passengers with the exception of OWE and F for seat assignments, cramming 8-across J in a 777 without direct aisle access, and for passengers connecting to other regional flights - cramming the maximum allowable seats in MH 737 (BA is going to have 180-seater 320 just like AK), buy-on-board on all regional flights including water, introducing HBO fares, not interlining bags even though you are flying the same airline, handing out Kit Kat bars after a 6-7 hour flight instead of a light meal? I sure hope not!

MH is light years ahead of BA right now. Let's not start the race to the bottom with BA.

Edited by Craig