MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

MAB A350-900 Regional Flights to PEN, BKK, SIN & BKI from 9 December 2017

Malaysia Airlines weighs up more A350s as restructuring continues

Malaysia Airlines is considering buying more Airbus A350 widebodies and has seen a year-over-year 10% improvement in its revenue per available seat kilometer (RASM) for the quarter ended February, the company said Friday.

The airline has completed retirement of its Boeing 777-200s and is scheduled to take the first of four A350-900s in October 2017. The aircraft are being leased from Air Lease Corp.

“The airline is evaluating additional A350s in order to reach a critical fleet size, allowing standby aircraft for any scheduled maintenance and enabling future network expansion. Malaysia Airlines actively assesses new route opportunities on an on-going basis and is currently evaluating the possibility of serving unique and new destinations that would require new equipment,” the company said.

Full report: http://atwonline.com/airlines/malaysia-airlines-weighs-more-a350s-restructuring-continues

I really do wonder whether these A359's will be used on LHR flights, if they can't find buyers for their 380's.

I'm more inclined to think they'll be used on AKL flights and maybe another new/previously served European destination.

I know that the MH A333's aren't lightweights but the AKL flights must surely be pushing these aircraft close to their operational limits.

I really do wonder whether these A359's will be used on LHR flights, if they can't find buyers for their 380's.

I'm more inclined to think they'll be used on AKL flights and maybe another new/previously served European destination.

I know that the MH A333's aren't lightweights but the AKL flights must surely be pushing these aircraft close to their operational limits.

I think they hedged their bets by signing an option for two A330-900s. These might be used for the AKL and/or their other EU routes should the A350s be deployed for LHR.

Latest reports indicate that MAB are studying the need for more A350s - so lets see what news will emerge in the near future.

I think they hedged their bets by signing an option for two A330-900s. These might be used for the AKL and/or their other EU routes should the A350s be deployed for LHR.

Latest reports indicate that MAB are studying the need for more A350s - so lets see what news will emerge in the near future.

I thought the A330neo itself could already fly nonstop to LHR eh?

I thought the A330neo itself could already fly nonstop to LHR eh?

Yes, they can - but A350 has lower CASK as it carries more passengers and has a more fuel efficient design.

MAS has a chance to come out on top with better products when THE A350 arrives. Look at Ethiad and SIA's new A350 for examples

I can't remember where I've read this, but MAB is planning to launch the same hard J product on the A350 as on the A330. Let me find the link and will put it here.

MAS has a chance to come out on top with better products when THE A350 arrives. Look at Ethiad and SIA's new A350 for examples

SIA's A350 products are not new, right? Already was on the 77W. Still impressive, of course.

If the A350 hard products are the same as the A330, then it will never be on par with Etihad or SIA. I'm not sure it is MAB's business model to outdo them, maybe I am wrong here.

The A350 is a big test of Herr Mueller's leadership at MAB. This is entirely his baby. So lets wait and see what work he has put on this.

Products better than SQ's and EY's? Sure, as long as the target passenger profile are willing to pay for it. Even showers and private cabins per economy passenger - again, as long as passenger is willing to pay and there are such passengers day in day out, all year round.

Otherwise, it will be a commercial failure.

Agree, Malaysia does not attract the same kind of premium travellers as Singapore does. So to try to one up them on their J product will not do as well, not to mention Changi has more direct connection to more international destination than KLIA does.

MH is not in the same league as SQ, so it's best not to compare to them. However, just a slight tweak in the seat will make it way better for passengers. Instead of Vantage (1-2-1 // 1-2-2 alternate seating), go with Vantage XL (all 1-2-1) like what Qantas has and it's all good.

But then again, I was very happy with the 2014 price for the current MH 380 J seats. So even if they use the 380 J seats for the 350 whilst maintaining the same 2014 price, I'd be a happy camper.

Agree, Malaysia does not attract the same kind of premium travellers as Singapore does. So to try to one up them on their J product will not do as well, not to mention Changi has more direct connection to more international destination than KLIA does.

true... no point using luxurious J product like SQ and EY, and ended up with empty cabin... talk about revenue first

What I mean is that it better be an improvement from the current A330 seats. Something such as cup holders and compartment for smartphone as seen in CX. These are lacking in MH's fleet

MH is not in the same league as SQ, so it's best not to compare to them. However, just a slight tweak in the seat will make it way better for passengers. Instead of Vantage (1-2-1 // 1-2-2 alternate seating), go with Vantage XL (all 1-2-1) like what Qantas has and it's all good.

But then again, I was very happy with the 2014 price for the current MH 380 J seats. So even if they use the 380 J seats for the 350 whilst maintaining the same 2014 price, I'd be a happy camper.

I do like the fact that MAS has that 2 couple seats by the window. I would definitely be picking those two seats when I fly to Japan at the end of this year.

DaTan, on 18 Apr 2016 - 1:36 PM, said:

What I mean is that it better be an improvement from the current A330 seats. Something such as cup holders and compartment for smartphone as seen in CX. These are lacking in MH's fleet

That has more to do with MAB's choice of customisation on their seats. Check out JetBlue which uses the same Thompson Vantage on their A320 series. It even comes with a private suite for the "Throne" seats!

http://www.jetblue.com/flying-on-jetblue/mint/

I do like the fact that MAS has that 2 couple seats by the window. I would definitely be picking those two seats when I fly to Japan at the end of this year.

DaTan, on 18 Apr 2016 - 1:36 PM, said:

That has more to do with MAB's choice of customisation on their seats. Check out JetBlue which uses the same Thompson Vantage on their A320 series. It even comes with a private suite for the "Throne" seats!

http://www.jetblue.com/flying-on-jetblue/mint/

Wow. If JetBlue could do this for a narrow body, imagine what it could be if this is also installed for MAB/s B738, especially those that are used to fly more than 3 hrs? Just dreaming lah ....

Wow. If JetBlue could do this for a narrow body, imagine what it could be if this is also installed for MAB/s B738, especially those that are used to fly more than 3 hrs? Just dreaming lah ....

JetBlue only has it on their narrow body travelling between the East & West Coast of the USA. That's a 6 hours flight there.

But MH could use it for some of their longer haul narrow body flights.... like India/Darwin etc?

true... no point using luxurious J product like SQ and EY, and ended up with empty cabin... talk about revenue first

Over 70% of QR, EK and EY pax transit through their hubs. If MH could attract pax from other cities, O&D KUL pax won't be critical. However, given MH treatment to J class on regional, except cheap fare, few reason to take MH.

Edited by KK Lee

Over 70% of QR, EK and EY pax transit through their hubs. If MH could attract pax from other cities, O&D KUL pax won't be critical. However, given MH treatment to J class on regional, except cheap fare, few reason to take MH.

Yeah.. no alcohol for one..

QR, EK and EY has a very large wide body fleet, and a very extensive network as well. J class travellers would have a very consistent product throughout their network and with lots of destination to choose from as well. (Except EK which has a superior J hard product on their A380 and a weaker one on their 777).

Don't think MH is in a position to target those markets any time soon, not to mention our premium lounge @ KLIA leaves a lot to be desired when compared to many other industry leading lounges.

The whole purpose of the MAS reboot is to enable it to get back to basics - the airline has lost its founding principles and purpose. So it should go back to its humble roots again and rebuild its business.

At this stage, any grand ideas should be postponed. They should get all the basics of airline operations correct first. When it is on a firm foundation, it can then try to build upon that.

Yeah.. no alcohol for one..

QR, EK and EY has a very large wide body fleet, and a very extensive network as well. J class travellers would have a very consistent product throughout their network and with lots of destination to choose from as well. (Except EK which has a superior J hard product on their A380 and a weaker one on their 777).

Unlike EK, QR and EY don't have pure-widebody fleets. You'll still find A319/320s on regional and even European routes.