MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Guan Eng says it again: Penang needs second runway

GEORGE TOWN (June 29): Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng today reiterated that the state needed a second runway and that it had enough land for building that additional facility.

The request was based on the increasing number of passengers at the Penang International Airport, he said, and added that air freight had also increased because of foreign direct investment (FDI).

Read more: http://www.fz.com/content/guan-eng-says-it-again-penang-needs-second-runway#ixzz3hzgNDiQO

The request was based on the increasing number of passengers at the Penang International Airport, he said, and added that air freight had also increased because of foreign direct investment (FDI).

He should lobby for terminal expansion. Other airports around the world are doing fine with single runway, even when the passenger numbers reach 30 million.

He should lobby for terminal expansion. Other airports around the world are doing fine with single runway, even when the passenger numbers reach 30 million.

I'm not sure if there's any area where they can expand the terminal to be honest. The land around the terminal are well covered & has been that way for a long while.

A second runway for Penang is a nice-to-have rather than a must-have.

What Penang really needs is more land for expanding both the passenger and cargo terminals.

But there's no land left around the airport. I can't see where a new terminal would fit, let alone a runway.

Would be ideal if Batu Maung wasn't so built up and they would have land to develop the airport South of the runway. But that's not practical now.

Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng today reiterated that the state needed a second runway and that it had enough land for building that additional facility.

Read more: http://www.fz.com/co...y#ixzz3hzoVhYKf

Where is this said land? I can't see any more empty land left adjacent to current runway. If the state government willing to reclaim the sea and build a 2nd runway of different alignment, there are extra matters to consider.

With Batu Maung now increasingly being developed, Kulim seems to be a more suitable candidate for long term capacity increase of air connectivity for entire northern peninsular Malaysia.

Penang and Kedah governments should discuss this together and propose a stake in the new airport in Kulim if it get ever proposed, regardless of political disparity they have towards each other. Investors and the public alike need assurance for the next 30 years in the northern region!

What they really need is better and more efficient ATS. He is barking up the wrong tree.

What's more ridiculous is he wants an MRO hub... when SZB is just 45 minutes away on a good day.

The rise of hub-mentality!

Unfortunately, politicians are always like that - sad that DAP did not consult with proper aviation experts.

PEN runway is not exactly like LHR. Plane spotting there is rather boring as we have to wait a fair bit in between take offs and landings. The runway is nowhere near capacity yet.

Yes, they should build a new Mega terminal with everything integrated. There is enough land to do so. If they really want to build new runways, they should do it Macau style - have all the runways and taxiways built on stilts in the sea (just like the Penang bridges) and/or reclaimed land and then build a mega terminal on the existing land....

Edited by flee

What they really need is better and more efficient ATS. He is barking up the wrong tree.

What's more ridiculous is he wants an MRO hub... when SZB is just 45 minutes away on a good day.

The rise of hub-mentality!

There is no harm in promoting one's location to be come hub, Penang itself is already a hub for northern region. But in the long run, the hub status may be 'in decline' if there is no strong physical masterplan for entire northern region (Penang and Kedah) for next 30 years.

I would think that it is more viable for Penang and Alor Star to some day close their airports and concentrate everything on new Kulim airport (wishful but logical thinking) that has land area probably many times more than these two airports can combine.

Unfortunately, our state governments' very much sifat kenegerian can held federal government 'hostage'. One example where I attended a meeting, in which a state proposes to federal government to build a seaport dedicated to the state, when there is a mega seaport just nearby at another neighbouring state.

The consultant in the meeting (on behalf of federal government) seemed to decline that state's representative statement because in the past many projects have been duplicated by federal government (wasting money) - better leverage on existing infrastructure.

Later, I asked the person on why the proposal is put forward when you can build railway tracks to transport industrial freight. He said to shorten transport time.

I personally not convinced by his answer, but hey I am not the guy who gives out money.

He should talk to the people running LGW then.

That very airport caused planes to circle and waste fuel

Now that is a joke. Except for mornings, the penang airport is practically like a ghost town. Most flights are to Subang and KL only. Direct international flights are pathetic with only Hong Kong, Bangkok, Taipeh and Singapore dominating the scene (Medan included by note the flight cancellations). Overall, you will be impress if you see the load in the morning but after that, well... its a different story. So before the second runway comes into conversation or a better and expanded terminal, try getting more flights in to Penang, perhaps from India. Chennai in particular. My 2 sen which of course now worth practically nothing.

Sign in to follow this