MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Malaysia Airlines plane fire forces emergency landing

Internally a lot of questions are being raised as to whether the crew should have landed in HKG immediately rather than pushed on to PVG.

great to see an over sensationalized piece of news being further over sensationalized by the "armchair" experts once more, fueled with more speculation - SQ or MH, or any incident that happens out there.

... Zzz ...

Internally a lot of questions are being raised as to whether the crew should have landed in HKG immediately rather than pushed on to PVG.

great to see an over sensationalized piece of news being further over sensationalized by the "armchair" experts once more, fueled with more speculation - SQ or MH, or any incident that happens out there.

... Zzz ...

Looks like the aircraft did a bit of fuel dumping over at my friend's place at Point Cook before returning to Tullamarine airport.

Just for info, MH's A330s are not equipped with fuel dumping capability. In all likelihood they landed overweight which is allowed in emergency situations for this aircraft.

Also the main fact is that MAS PR dept did not do a good job of explaining - and its always after the fact that other media have reported its incident way before MH PR decides to issue a press release - in fact on the MH A330 which did a heavy landing in Melbourne was not even reported in local media!

But the Qantas A380 incident over change/batam was indeed a very serious incident and was the first of its kind to have happened to a A380 when its engine blew up and affected its flight control systems.

So what are the consequences of landing heavy? I guess could cripple the landing gears and tyres burst or possibly brakes on fire?

During approach, I assume they probably have to increase air speed as sink rate can be faster than normal landing?

So what are the consequences of landing heavy? I guess could cripple the landing gears and tyres burst or possibly brakes on fire?

During approach, I assume they probably have to increase air speed as sink rate can be faster than normal landing?

faster approach speed, more landing distance (less stop margin), brake overheat (tyre burst). It won't cripple the gears if done correctly but typically the aircraft will be pulled off service for a thorough structural check, which might mean days/weeks grounded hence loss of revenue. Which is why typically for a less urgent technical fault, they will burn/jettison fuel until their below their max landing weight. The minor fault can then be fixed and plane can resume service.

Unusual that conspiracist still haven't claim someone planted IFF on MH17 to disguise it as a hostile spy plane or carrying spying camera over war zone.

Well, one of the reason why our country got another new Royal jet was for security reason.

Also the main fact is that MAS PR dept did not do a good job of explaining - and its always after the fact that other media have reported its incident way before MH PR decides to issue a press release - in fact on the MH A330 which did a heavy landing in Melbourne was not even reported in local media!

But the Qantas A380 incident over change/batam was indeed a very serious incident and was the first of its kind to have happened to a A380 when its engine blew up and affected its flight control systems.

I guess the PR does not want to draw in another bad publicity to themselves. Or perhaps have treated it as one of those things that happened and there is nothing unusual about an air-turn back.

Overweight landing is not a big deal as it sounds to be. Consequence is engineering will have to go thru an overweight landing check thereafter which may take time. When fuel price was high, some carriers actually prefer to have overweight landing than fuel dump.

Why is why I am puzzled on why CM wanted still to inherit the MH code (but at the same time applying for new AOC. Weird talk here). It's a suwei one already.

I am not sure if this is true, technically IATA/ ICAO does not assign new code to an airline which is very much still 'in existence' unless it really collapsed/ bankrupt to core/ 'ka put' till no existence.

The process to apply for a new IATA code ain't easy too:

1. https://www.iata.org/services/Documents/codes-designator-form.pdf
  2. https://www.iata.org/services/Documents/codes-3-numeric-form.pdf

Consider that MH is synonymous with global travellers, good or bad, I don't think getting a new code is CM's top priority now.

If they have a lot of code share agreements, it might be a painful time for their partners to change codes!

VA got a new IATA code from rebranding from DJ, so theres a precedent.

Not really, the IATA code was assigned to V Australia initially. The VA code only applied across to DJ when they rebranded every brands under the arms of the Virgin group in Australia to Virgin Australia.

So the VA code was in existence first. They did not lodge the application upon the rebranding exercise.

Interestingly today, last night's 149 is operating as 149D, 12 1/2 hours late, and will arrive plenty lambat into MEL tonight.

but somehow, MTE is now serviceable, and they used it to operated 148 today.

I'll bet most pax on 148 won't even realise this, but the plane they're riding to KUL today isn't the one supposed to be used, but the one that turned around 6 days ago.

I think the the pax couldn't care less about aircraft registration...

They don't - but if not for this plane in the right place at the right time, in serviceable condition - they would be sitting in Tullamarine till 11pm, and not flying now.

Yes, they don't care, and they don't realise. I'm saying that just don't know how close they came to having Hungry Jack's for dinner instead of Nasi Lemak and Char Kway Teow.

Sign in to follow this