MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Varney

Advice for a tourist

Hi all, a new member here.
I'm planning on heading to Kuala Lumpur around August for some spotting and I was wandering if I could get some info and advice for a tourist.
My plan is to arrive on a Monday on EK from MEL, spend a few hours spotting, catch a taxi to Subang to catch Raya Airways 727's (do they have a schedule? looking at FR24 they seem to fly tuesday-Saturday), and hopefully Westar's aviation's G-2, 732 and 721. (anyone know how often they fly?)
I will stay near Subang for a few days in Hotel Newton Subang, does anyone here know how long it would take to walk from the hotel to SZB's spotting points? I won't have a car unfortunately and will be forced to commute on foot or by taxi, is the area safe? expescially since I will have some expensive camera gear.
On Thursday? I will catch a taxi back to KUL and stay at a hotel nearby (any suggestions?)
The main things I want to catch are Iran air's 74SP (Saturdays?), LH A343, MH A388's, CI A343, FlyNas 744, Iraqi Air 744, Saudi 744 ect.
Anyone know what the normal runway configuration which is normally used and the best spots for those movements (32L)? and again, I wont have a car so I will have to walk.
I then plan to fly out to Hong Kong on CX or MH for spotting.
Thanks in advance all, I hope to meet many more aviation enthusiasts in a different part of the world including many users of this forum.
Regards, Brad.

I'm planning on heading to Kuala Lumpur around August for some spotting and I was wandering if I could get some info and advice for a tourist.

My plan is to arrive on a Monday on EK from MEL, spend a few hours spotting, catch a taxi to Subang to catch Raya Airways 727's (do they have a schedule? looking at FR24 they seem to fly tuesday-Saturday), and hopefully Westar's aviation's G-2, 732 and 721. (anyone know how often they fly?)

I will stay near Subang for a few days in Hotel Newton Subang, does anyone here know how long it would take to walk from the hotel to SZB's spotting points? I won't have a car unfortunately and will be forced to commute on foot or by taxi, is the area safe? expescially since I will have some expensive camera gear.

On Thursday? I will catch a taxi back to KUL and stay at a hotel nearby (any suggestions?)

The main things I want to catch are Iran air's 74SP (Saturdays?), LH A343, MH A388's, CI A343, FlyNas 744, Iraqi Air 744, Saudi 744 ect.

Anyone know what the normal runway configuration which is normally used and the best spots for those movements (32L)? and again, I wont have a car so I will have to walk.

Thanks in advance all, I hope to meet many more aviation enthusiasts in a different part of the world including many users of this forum.

Regards, Brad.

Hello Brad,

I'm not a regular SZB spotter, just went there once in the past few months, I hope my fellow SZB Spotters might help you about that.

Regarding in KUL, Wednesday and Saturday there is Iran 747sp , LH343, CI343, MH A388, Iraqi Airways might send 332/77L instead of 744(rare stuff). Saudia would be 77W , and if got some surprise, former MAS B744 now flying with Saudia livery.

About the hotel, the closest to the airport was Sama-Sama Hotel (opposite to KLIA), and Tune Hotel (opposite KLIA2). If you wish to stay in budget hotel, there is some budget hotels nearby KLIA, such as Bandar Enstek.(15min) from spotting location. I can't guarantee that the airport police would send you away if they wanted to do so after the drone incident in 32L.

You definitely need a car here, you don't wanna to walk some 10km from the hotel to the runway :pardon:

There might be using of 14L for takeoff, 14R for landing during August. And runway 15 for the low cost carrier. August might be the haze weather again in Malaysia.

Regards,

Syafiq

For SZB the ideal spot from what I can tell is 2 km away from your hotel BUT to walk there would not be highly recommended as the area is not pedestrian friendly especially for tourists brandishing large camera bags. For taxis, I suggest downloading the MyTeksi app which will help call for a taxi & stop you from getting fleeced.

As for the directions to the spot - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sato+Auto+Accessories+(kg.+Subang)+Sdn+Bhd/Newton+Hotel,+16,+Jalan+Alfa+E+U6%2FE,+Kampung+Bunga+Raya,+40150+Shah+Alam,+Selangor/@3.1393193,101.5303458,17z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x391c732c4c32b99!2m2!1d101.538838!2d3.145187!1m5!1m1!1s0x31cc4e273ebc3845:0xf01610e2c24f4e5a!2m2!1d101.52652!2d3.139595!3e2

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

For SZB the ideal spot from what I can tell is 2 km away from your hotel BUT to walk there would not be highly recommended as the area is not pedestrian friendly especially for tourists brandishing large camera bags. For taxis, I suggest downloading the MyTeksi app which will help call for a taxi & stop you from getting fleeced.

As for the directions to the spot - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sato+Auto+Accessories+(kg.+Subang)+Sdn+Bhd/Newton+Hotel,+16,+Jalan+Alfa+E+U6%2FE,+Kampung+Bunga+Raya,+40150+Shah+Alam,+Selangor/@3.1393193,101.5303458,17z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x391c732c4c32b99!2m2!1d101.538838!2d3.145187!1m5!1m1!1s0x31cc4e273ebc3845:0xf01610e2c24f4e5a!2m2!1d101.52652!2d3.139595!3e2

I recommend the myteksi app also. Much more honest fellas.

Regards, Brad.

My serious advice for a tourist, spot only at the Observation Deck at the Terminal in KUL.

My serious advice for a tourist, spot only at the Observation Deck at the Terminal in KUL.

Any reasons for this? Anyone have an photos taken from the observation deck?

Any reasons for this? Anyone have an photos taken from the observation deck?

KUL is not a spotter friendly place. It is not safe to spot outside the airport area. Not safe means, the airport authority / police.

You can be caught for spotting as they think you carries a threat to the plane no matter what reason you give eventhough you are doing nothing wrong.

Thus, safest place to be is in the terminal .

Check out Anjung Tinjau thread for pic.

I thought even anjung tinjau (observation deck at MTB KUL) was also not safe from some overzealous security personnel at some point in time - are they over it already ? :)

I thought even anjung tinjau (observation deck at MTB KUL) was also not safe from some overzealous security personnel at some point in time - are they over it already ? :)

No more for now.BTW,observation deck is open from 6am to 10pm.

Edited by JianCheng

Thanks for our helpful replies all, photo opportunities seem decent from the viewing deck, I read somewhere that it is backlit to shoot during most of the day.

Around SZB are there any good restaurants that have non-seafood meals?

Edited by Brad Varney

Thanks for our helpful replies all, photo opportunities seem decent from the viewing deck, I read somewhere that it is backlit to shoot during most of the day.

Sun rise on the left and set on the right. Its good all day

Consider renting a car. You will unlock alot more opportunities

Consider renting a car. You will unlock alot more opportunities

Unfortunately I'm only 19 and unable to rent a car :(

How reliable is the taxi app? (how long do you usually have to wait in that location)

Unfortunately I'm only 19 and unable to rent a car :(

How reliable is the taxi app? (how long do you usually have to wait in that location)

They're usually very quick, depending on your location (Subang should not take too long)

Perhaps it will be more useful if you were to publish the dates you're coming, someone might be free to bring you out and about.

They're usually very quick, depending on your location (Subang should not take too long)

Perhaps it will be more useful if you were to publish the dates you're coming, someone might be free to bring you out and about.

That would be great if possible! :) Will confirm the dates when the flights are booked (deciding between EK and D7).

That would be great if possible! :) Will confirm the dates when the flights are booked (deciding between EK and D7).

Some Malaysian Wings members will be covering a piece of history on 31 August - 1 September. That is when Malaysia Airlines cease to exist and the flag carrier transforms into a new airline. You may be able to join them when they are spotting on these two days.

A big danger (other than being arrested) at this time of the year is the smoky haze that is generated locally (hot season) and blown over from Indonesia. So, be prepared to be smoked out!

Do heed the warnings of experienced KLIA spotters - believe me, you do not want to spend hours being questioned at the police station!

I honestly think you guys are exaggerating the potential of "arrests" by police/ authorities for plane spotting that you would just frighten those who are not familiar with how things work here.

I think you should clarify that being detained for questioning (which btw is probably the worse that can happen and even then, I think, is a rare occurrence, and will probably be no more than just that) is not the same as being arrested for potentially endangering aircraft or on espionage charges, like some plane spotters have faced in, say, parts of the Middle east and previously, the sub-continent.

Hey guys,

flights booked! I arrive in KUL on the 28th (D7), and staying at Tune Hotel 28th-31st and than catching a taxi to SZB and staying at O'boutique Suites, 31st-4th and than KUL 4th-6th catching CX720 on the 6th to HGK.

Edited by Brad Varney

Sign in to follow this