MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

MASwings

Did one day return to Labuan from Miri with them on 1st June 2016. Fares paid RM 156.54 round trip.

Outbound: 1040am (On time) ; Inbound: 835pm (delayed to 0920pm)

Equipment: 9M-MWA & 9M-MWH

At least the cabin condition and temperature is acceptable compared to 9M-MWC last month.

For the outbound, as there are two flights boarding at the same time; the cabin crew did an extra work of verifying passenger boarding pass just to ensure that no one board the wrong plane. Good.

Inbound served by an all male crew. Delayed notification was sent to us near midday. The propeller frequencies sounds a little sharp than normal.

Overall, I should say; for now, flying MASwings you need to be lucky enough of not getting serious delays as delays till wee hours for night flights still occurred quite frequently.

Hopefully, with the upcoming "overhaul" of ATR fleets within MH group; overall cabin experience can be maintained and even improved. Anyway, I still not really understand why the 600 series induction was halted for them while FY continue to get 600 series.

FY is profitable due to its main hub at SZB - so they need to keep up with the competition from Malindo. As such, new aircraft is priority for them.

FY is profitable due to its main hub at SZB - so they need to keep up with the competition from Malindo. As such, new aircraft is priority for them.

I am well aware of that. My argument point is why returned and trying to sell off the 4 units that had already being delivered and yet they are facing frequent retimed flights until the wee hours. Not a good sign in the long run, not only to passengers, the crews and those related parties on the ground also (ground crews n taxi drivers or whoever need to pick passengers).

I am well aware of that. My argument point is why returned and trying to sell off the 4 units that had already being delivered and yet they are facing frequent retimed flights until the wee hours. Not a good sign in the long run, not only to passengers, the crews and those related parties on the ground also (ground crews n taxi drivers or whoever need to pick passengers).

I have no idea why the flights are late. FY still operates its first ATR72-500, 9M-FYA and it is still reliable.

Sometimes, flight operations are affected by weather and other factors. This may cause delays - generally, flights later on in the day are more likely to be delayed due to the knock on effect of delays to earlier flights.

Another factor could be the passengers themselves turning up late. Recently, I was on board a Jetstar flight that was delayed by 20 minutes - all the passengers except one boarded the aircraft on time. But one did not turn up and they went looking for him. So, it is possible that passengers themselves cause flights to be delayed. The airline would also be blamed if it left without the passenger. I have seen comments like "they can't even wait 5 minutes" in some travel forums....

Unlike FY, MASWings operate fewer routes and flights. Demand in East Malaysia is also lower. So there is no need for more aircraft. It is possible that the new aircraft were returned because they are a drain on finances. The old ones may have been paid up and that was why they were retained.

Edited by flee

MASwings offers huge discounts for Sabah, Sarawak travel

KOTA KINABALU: MASwings is offering 95% discounts to all Sabah and Sarawak sectors with one-way prices as low as RM62 in conjunction with its ninth anniversary celebrations.
Dubbed “MASwings RM62 JUST4U Promotion”, it offers an all inclusive one-way fares for all MASwings' domestic routes from now until Oct 31, 2016, with a travel period starting from Oct 3 until Nov 30, 2016.

​......

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/10/02/maswings-offers-huge-discounts-for-travel-to-sabah-and-Sarawak/

Do not understand the wisdom nor logic for this when it's commonly understood their flights need to be sustained by tax payers' subsidy to start with

Perhaps they know something we don't ? Like Malindo making an entry into the territory ? :)

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/10/02/maswings-offers-huge-discounts-for-travel-to-sabah-and-Sarawak/

Do not understand the wisdom nor logic for this when it's commonly understood their flights need to be sustained by tax payers' subsidy to start with

Perhaps they know something we don't ? Like Malindo making an entry into the territory ? :)

Sugar daddy has deep pocket.

I receive a snap picture of the internal email from someone, quoting "continuous initiatives to drive load factors from now until year end" as the reason for this rock bottom offer across the ATR services board.

So for the RAS community, it is a good news no matter what as we got no choice on majority of the routes and their normal fares is pretty high!

Back to the good old argument that I had always believe in, get your plane as full as possible rather than flying empty! Remember that their on time performance had been quite poor sometimes for nearly a year or so already; so I believe on routes that where Air Asia is available, majority will choose them.

My brother just flown BTU-MYY yesterday evening, not more than 25 persons for a 72 seats plane.

Makes me think that Maswings may become irrelevant especially in Sabah where quite a number of small rural airstrips hv been closed for past years as land based connectivity improves.

Maybe they need a smaller aircraft instead of a 72 seater ... ATR42 for example? Or even going back to Dornier or twin otters

..... Or even going back to Dornier or twin otters

Where got glamor ?!! :)

Only slightly related, the Sabah Flying Doctors service has come to an end

Sabah's Flying Doctors cancellation offset by intensified services via land, water

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/09/177229/sabahs-flying-doctors-cancellation-offset-intensified-services-land-water

Guess Sabah Air will be struggling more henceforth

Where got glamor ?!! :)

Only slightly related, the Sabah Flying Doctors service has come to an end

Sabah's Flying Doctors cancellation offset by intensified services via land, water

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/09/177229/sabahs-flying-doctors-cancellation-offset-intensified-services-land-water

Guess Sabah Air will be struggling more henceforth

Flew with them enroute for a 2hour flight to a village called Rundum near the Kalimantan border but we end up returning back to BKI as weather was pretty intense(clear weather but winds were unbearable nearly s#1t my pants on the flight). High cancellation rate could be the reason of state health canceling the deal. Wonder if Layang-Layang would pick up the contract now. I still feel its pretty impractical to use land transportation for some of the villlages as there are no road access and electricity in some of the villages not to mention the nearest driving point from closest district to it would need nearly 8 hours with a jeep perhaps state health should readjust some of the Medevac sectors instead of cancelling it outright.

Edited by jahur

Based on the points put forward by fellow members here, I think it would have been better if MASWings operates the 42-50 seaters ATR 42 instead of ATR72. They simply do not need the extra seat on the latter. If extra capacity is needed (during peak season) or if they need few ATR72 for trunk routes, they can lease from lessor. Nordic Aviation Capital has many ATR lying around at any single time, ready for dry/wet lease.

Next year will be 10th years anniversary for MASWings. Let's hope we can see profit soon, if not profit at least cover cost.

Tamizi, all three MASWings ATR72-600 are currently stored in various airports in Sarawak. Fourth one 9M-MYD is now with FY, in hybrid livery.

I use them quite a lot recently. Last month my BKI BTU was cancelled and we were put on a hotel for the night and booked on the BKI BTU flight the next morning. Even with two flights worth of pax the flight was still not full.

Tamizi, all three MASWings ATR72-600 are currently stored in various airports in Sarawak. Fourth one 9M-MYD is now with FY, in hybrid livery.

9M-MYA / MYB / MYC are all stored in KUL. It used to be parked in front of MAS hangar but now its parked at MASkargo bay as seen last week.

Anyone has a reliable story of what happened to those few MASWings ATR72-600s ?

Spanking new and already retired ?

Anyone has a reliable story of what happened to those few MASWings ATR72-600s ?

Spanking new and already retired ?

They're up for sale, firefly is also gradually removing the 600 series. Apparently the 600series cost more in maintenance fee and parts. Delivery of parts are also slow as it is delivered directly from ATR which has a lot of backlog orders for parts whereas parts for 500 series are cheaper and obtainable from third party.

Malindo is also having a bit of parts shortage on their atr's while planning to move some of their atr ops elsewhere as SZB is not growing and pricey to operate.

Now Firefly also phased out their -600 series leaving Malindo the only operator of -600 series

Now Firefly also phased out their -600 series leaving Malindo the only operator of -600 series

FY actually grounded since last month. All 600s for FY and MASWings are grounded.

Reviving this old thread for us to discuss on Maswings's news and development:

Maswings launches inaugural Miri-Long Banga direct flight route

https://www.theborneopost.com/2023/04/01/maswings-launches-inaugural-miri-long-banga-direct-flight-route/

MIRI (April 1): Rural Air Service (RAS) provider Maswings today marked another milestone with the launch of its inaugural direct flight route between Miri and Long Banga in Baram.

Its chief operating officer Suresh Singam said the launch of the route was following the request by Deputy Minister in the Premier’s Department (Labour, Immigration and Project Monitoring) Datuk Gerawat Gala and local community leaders over the years.

9-passenger cap for northern S’wak flights a headache, needs urgent review, says Miri doctor

https://www.theborneopost.com/2023/04/14/9-passenger-cap-for-northern-swak-flights-a-headache-needs-urgent-review-says-miri-doctor/

MIRI (April 14): Families had to wait at Miri Airport as early as 5am to secure seats for the flight to Bario due to the 9-passenger cap issued by Civil Aviation Authority Malaysia over two years ago.

This maximum passenger limit, which is causing much inconvenience to travellers using four STOLports ( short take-off and landing airports) in northern Sarawak should be urgently reviewed, said Dr Roland Dom Mattu.

Supporting the call by Deputy Minister in Premier Sarawak Department Datuk Gerawat Gala for a review, Dr Roland said the cap was a waste of government subsidy and a headache to the local community.

Edited by JuliusWong

1 hour ago, JuliusWong said:

MIRI (April 14): Families had to wait at Miri Airport as early as 5am to secure seats for the flight to Bario due to the 9-passenger cap issued by Civil Aviation Authority Malaysia over two years ago.

Typical Malaysian issue. Give control regulations and they sleep on the job and do not monitor the situation actively awaiting for viral social media posting or some hot shot datuk to exercise his 'karen' card. 

Or

Literally let it go on free fall no control. No responsibility. Consumer have to swallow the inconveniences on their own when dynamic prices comes in. 

Airbus A220 for new airline in Sarawak?

Abg Jo makes history by boarding Langkawi-bound Airbus fuelled with S’wak-made SAF

Kch-220523-ce-saf-p1.jpg

https://www.theborneopost.com/2023/05/22/abg-jo-makes-history-by-boarding-langkawi-bound-airbus-fuelled-with-swak-made-saf/

KUCHING (May 22): Premier Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Abang Johari Tun Openg today made history when he boarded a Latvian airBaltic Airbus A220-300 – the first aircraft to be fuelled up with Sarawak-made algae sustainable aviation fuel (SAF).

The plane transited at the Kuching International Airport from Bangkok and is Langkawi-bound as Abang Johari sets off to attend the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition (LIMA 2023).

The aircraft departed the Kuching International Airport at 2pm and the flight to Langkawi took two hours.

With him on board, Abang Johari fulfilled his promise to be one of the first passengers to travel in a plane using Sarawak’s algae SAF.

A mistake here though:

“The aircraft was provided by Airbus because none of them (Malaysian airline companies) have this particular model. This is the first time that an Airbus A220 has touched down in Southeast Asia – that is why we collaborated with Airbus for the SAF,” he said."

Encik, A220 visited Malaysia back in 2019, and it has been to South East Asia at least twice in 2019.

pm_38_516_516631-nk1v8kaxqh.jpg?dl=true

pm_38_516_516856-i5c3bdiper.jpg?dl=true

Edited by JuliusWong

A220 is a very good plane and would've already snag a few orders from asean during launching if the cfm leap was an optional offering instead solely depending on the problematic pw 1500g. That engine has been a headache and it seems to operate like a beta state product.