MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
BC Tam

Germanwings A320 Crashes in French Alps - First Officer Suicide

After the revelation, airlines now require two crew members be in the cockpit at any given time:

www.bbc.com/news/uk-32075657

Edited by Y. J. Foo

I wonder if this is going to bring about changes in procedures. I would have to say the industry probably doesn't have a choice if it wants to calm a very fearful public now.

Ok. Remember the claim that MRO was flown remotely to another location? Maybe its time to bring this dark technology to light.

It's not just him committing suicide, he murdered 149 people. In the days where there was the flight engineer, at least there were 2 persons in the cockpit at all times.

this is indeed depressing :sorry: RIP.........

now my mum is now afraight to take her Lufthansa flight this coming April .....u know old people...but i can understand..hurmmm

It's not just him committing suicide, he murdered 149 people. In the days where there was the flight engineer, at least there were 2 persons in the cockpit at all times.

But I guess certains airlines practices one cabin crew should be inside the cockpit whenever one of the pilot go for toilet.

Can't they build a toilet in the cockpit? The front toilet usually located very near almost next to the cockpit door. Can they adjust the wall so that this toilet be part of the cockpit thus unaccessible for others?

Or cockpit crew is to be governed by the military style when it comes to nature's call i.e. pissing and pooping in disposable bags when they are on duty in the cockpit?

I think one of the primary reason why there were 4 persons (early B747s) in the cockpit down to just 2 was probably due to the cost of hiring pilots. Imagine taking out 1/2 the space of a standard cockpit and install 4 business class seats, or 6 economy seats. From being a cost factor (the space) it becomes extra profit.

Looking at it, if they were to integrate the front toilet as part of cockpit, then the whole flight of A320 can only use the 2 rear toilets. Scary thoughts.

MAS issued a memo requiring a cabin crew to go into the cockpit when one of the two pilots take a break after MH370 went missing. Not sure if they are still doing this now.

believed most airlines do practice of having a cabin crew or a relief pilot (if onboard) to be in the flight deck when one of the pilots leave the flightdeck. It will serve as a good deterrent against intrusion and to assist the only pilot if necessary. But then again if any rogue pilot is bent on doing any evil deeds, then he can still over-power the other crew who is in the cockpit too or even in the case of a 2 man tech crew - one of the other pilot can still over=power and render the other unconscious.

However have seen in one airline that goes just a bit further in that when a pilot leaves the cockpit, a crew will go in as SOP and then another crew will push a cart in front and blocking the access to the cockpit.

That was shortly after the 911 incident, but have not seen this done in the last couple of years.

Also note that the ill-fated Germanwings A320 was 24 years old - which makes it one of the oldest A320 still in service - as many airlines even other budget carriers have retired their A320s before reaching even 20 years and there have even been A320s that were scrapped and or sent to the dessert only after 15 years in service. It is surprising that for Lufthansa/Germanwings to be still using a 24 year-old A320.

That old aircraft may have had life extension performed. That is why it has the latest avionics, including digital black boxes.

Noticed that AirAsia does that too...usually the Senior Crew would step into the Cockpit during toilet break....

MAS issued a memo requiring a cabin crew to go into the cockpit when one of the two pilots take a break after MH370 went missing. Not sure if they are still doing this now.

I know that on long haul, they usually have extra pilots for relieving other crew members. Regional or domestic flight usually have only two pilots onboard. After this, are we going to see three pilots at least on domestic/ regional run?

Doubt airlines willbring back a 3 man tech crewin the flight deck for regional or flights less than 7 - 8 hours. this is mainly due to the cost factor as bringing in a 3rd pilot will cost the airlines substantially.

If watch over culture to continue, soon there will need a sky marshal to monitor pilot and cabin crew, then second sky marshal, and soon cockpit enlarged to house a platoon of armed guards.

As pilots need to undergo regular medical check, believe it is more cost effective to detect psychological disorders during these medical checks.

No, the first of this directive was soon after 9/11. It was because the cockpit had a (temporarily) deadbolt installed. It was fully manual and was locked at all time. There were 2 reason for this, the remaining pilot cannot turn the lock from his seat, and also if he was incapacitated there was no way the door can be unlocked from inside.

No, the first of this directive was soon after 9/11. It was because the cockpit had a (temporarily) deadbolt installed. It was fully manual and was locked at all time. There were 2 reason for this, the remaining pilot cannot turn the lock from his seat, and also if he was incapacitated there was no way the door can be unlocked from inside.

Thank you for providing this info. I am a little confused - does MH still require 2 crew in the cockpit should one of the pilots need a break? I understand the need of 2 crew in the cockpit but there was no way the door can be unlocked from the inside when the temporary deadbolt was installed?

Thank you for providing this info. I am a little confused - does MH still require 2 crew in the cockpit should one of the pilots need a break? I understand the need of 2 crew in the cockpit but there was no way the door can be unlocked from the inside when the temporary deadbolt was installed?

My apologies for the typo error. It should read from the outside....

I am a little puzzled that the A320 flight envelope protection system allowed the autopilot to fly as low as 100 ft in terrain without the pilot disabling something. Can A320 pilots clarify this?

IMHO, the FBW flight envelope only provides protections to its namesake; overspeed, stall , excessive G etc, even so the pilot will be able to override the said protections if he wants to.

Terrain avoidance will be under a different system, the GPWS & EGPWS. However it only supplies the bells and whistles. The autopilot will probably disconnect at one point close to ground and if without any pilot intervention it will just fly to the ground.

Edited by Walter Sim

Despite the impact area is relatively small, it took over a week to recover FDR. Wonder how effective is the homing beacon.

I thought the ELB activates only upon hitting water?

or disconnected from data feed/power supply or breaker?

Edited by KK Lee

Sign in to follow this