Sign in to follow this  
BC Tam

Germanwings A320 Crashes in French Alps - First Officer Suicide

This just happened:

Germanwings airliner crashes in French Alps

6 minutes ago

From the section Europe

Breaking news

An Airbus A320 airliner has crashed in the French Alps near Digne, French aviation officials and police have said.

The jet belongs to the German low-cost airline Germanwings.

The plane was reported to be carrying 142 passengers and six crew members.

More to follow...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32030270

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/airbus-a320-crash-german-wings-flight-down-in-southern-france-10129817.html

Initial report

If anything is to be believed: it's D-AIPX..

funnily enough FR24 says the flight landed...

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/d-aipx/

Edited by Suzanne Goh

First serious crash of year 2015. :(

Just a question...can't cockpit doors can be opened from the outside??? I thought cabin crew has a panel she could key in to open the doors...can the pilot 'over ride' the option?

Just a question...can't cockpit doors can be opened from the outside??? I thought cabin crew has a panel she could key in to open the doors...can the pilot 'over ride' the option?

My guess would be that it isn't wise to 'reveal all' for our (meaning us normal Joe Blokes) knowledge when it's common perception that the cockpit door is fool-proof secure and can only be opened from the inside no matter what

Cockpit door can be opened from outside when entering certains code at the panel next to lavatory. And the code is depends on the company itself.

Edited by Nabiel Haniff

Cockpit door can be opened from outside when entering certains code at the panel next to lavatory. And the code is depends on the company itself.

Even with the code with someone still in the cockpit, he/she can override this code as there is a time delay before electrical latches get released. Overheard some people discussing a possible CFIT. Opinions please?

Even with the code with someone still in the cockpit, he/she can override this code as there is a time delay before electrical latches get released. Overheard some people discussing a possible CFIT. Opinions please?

Oh, if someone still inside the cockpit, so he/she can overwrite the code and make the door still locked.

Germanwings co-pilot intended to destroy plane, says French prosecutor live updates

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/mar/26/germanwings-plane-crash-investigation-press-conference-live-updates-4u9525

Based on the news, this is another suicide by the pilot ? Second tragedy after silkair . Correct me if am wrong

I am thinking perhaps aircraft manufacturers can consider to have bio-recognition locking system (for pilots on duty only) to the cockpit door in addition to the current code system. Any pilot on duty could unlock the cockpit door from outside using the bio-recognition system if necessary.

What was the co-pilot's motivation to kill himself? It doesn't make sense.

Personal issues, mental health, depression, financial problem, debts with loan sharks, girlfriend/boyfriend problem, family pressure to get married, overweight, not good looking enough for girlfriend/boyfriend, recently diagnosed with killer disease, just bored with life and 1,001 other valid reasons to commit a suicide.

Personal issues, mental health, depression, financial problem, debts with loan sharks, girlfriend/boyfriend problem, family pressure to get married, overweight, not good looking enough for girlfriend/boyfriend, recently diagnosed with killer disease, just bored with life and 1,001 other valid reasons to commit a suicide.

i have 7 of the above issues...erm...not a good sign huh...

Oh no! Please don't kill yourself Cikgu.

You are beautiful, no matter what they (I?) said... words can't bring you down. Noo noo...

i have 7 of the above issues...erm...not a good sign huh...

But the first officer has one crucial quality that you do not possess - stupidity! :)

Monitoring or tracking the aircraft is not going to stop these people from committing Suicide.. These fools need to have some serious psychiatric evaluation before being given the job. Even then that will not prevent this from happening. Humans are humans. They will just do whatever they want... Even if they were granted superior intelligence to other animals

If indeed it was a deliberate act as suicide, not surprising if some quarters call for even radical change - pilots be replaced by emotionless robots to fly planes. Might be too far fetched. Hey, even Google is now actively developing cars that can drive by itself.

Sign in to follow this