MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
xtemujin

Qantas’s first Boeing 747-400 has landed at Illawarra Airport, Australia

VH-OJA touches down at Illawarra Airport

By australianaviation.com.au | 8 March 2015 Sunday

Qantas’s first Boeing 747-400 has landed at Illawarra Airport, bringing to an end to the historic aircraft’s 25-year flying career.

Operating its last flight at QF7474, the jumbo, registration VH-OJA, took off from Sydney Airport on Runway 16R with Captain Greg Matthews, Second Officer Michael East and Captain Ossie Miller in the flight deck at 0737 local time on Sunday.

It landed at Illawarra Airport on time a couple of minutes later than the scheduled 0747 touchdown.

Huge crowds were on hand on the NSW south coast to greet the aircraft, which rolled off the Boeing production line in 1989 and entered the record books with its non-stop London to Sydney delivery flight later that same year.

VH-OJA will be handed over to the Historical Aviation Restoration Society and be open to the public.

More to come later today

http://australianaviation.com.au/2015/03/vh-oja-touches-down-at-illawarra-airport/

Edited by xtemujin

The relatively short and narrow runway at Illawara Airport WOL makes the landing of VH-OJA a very challenging task.

VH-OJA carried approx 25 tonne of fuel for this mission

Here are some interesting reads regadring the prep works

Capture_zps5olmdjig.jpg

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/03/05/16/59/no-room-for-error-as-qantas-prepares-for-one-of-the-toughest-scheduled-landings-in-its-history

http://hars.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/QF7474-arrival-FAQ.pdf

While waiting for the arrival of VH-OJA City of Canberra

Outside airport fence @ Illawara Regional Airport (WOL)

IMG_0145E%20-%20Illawara%20Regional%20Ai

IMG_0144E%20-%20Illawara%20Regional%20Ai

IMG_0143E%20-%20Illawara%20Regional%20Ai

IMG_0142E%20-%20Illawara%20Regional%20Ai

Outside HARS (Historical Aircraft Restoration Society) Museum hangar, where the final resting place for VH-OJA

IMG_0146E%20-%20Illawara%20Regional%20Ai

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Illawara is also the airport for Wollongong, right?

Wonder if the Qantas Museum at Longreach, QLD will receive another 744 for preservation too? Would be good if they preserve the 747-400ER model as it is one of a kind.

Videos:

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/03/08/08/18/masterful-touchdown-as-qantas-flight-crew-land-historical-747-at-regional-airport

Edited by S V Choong

25 tonnes of fuel for a 17 minute hop ?!

I'm guessing it's the effort required to get the bird off the ground that guzzles juice most rapidly :)

25 tonnes of fuel for a 17 minute hop ?!

I'm guessing it's the effort required to get the bird off the ground that guzzles juice most rapidly :)

There is a provision for go around until 10am and return to SYD if the weather is not favaourable. There is low threshold for cross wind and tail wind due to the challenging runway for a B744

The very last landing of VH-OJA..... a smooth landing. Bravo to the pilots :good:

VH-OJA%20Landing_zpsygrdusw0.gif

IMG_0176E1%20-%20VH-OJA%20Landing%20%20W

IMG_0181E1%20-%20VH-OJA%20Landing%20%20W

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

There is a provision for go around until 10am and return to SYD if the weather is not favaourable. There is low threshold for cross wind and tail wind due to the challenging runway for a B744

Meaning they had to carry extra fuel (weight) because the meteorological boys/girls could not confidently forecast the weather conditions over a 17 minute gap ?! :lol:

Wonder how they dealt with the fuel leftover from the flight (assuming there was leftovers) ?

Wonder how they dealt with the fuel leftover from the flight (assuming there was leftovers) ?

The aircraft will be de-fuelled

VH-OJA went all the way to the end of runway

IMG_0192E_zps4oagz8tq.jpg

IMG_0188E_zps8crddi21.jpg

Wait for the wheel brake to cool down before towed to HARS

IMG_0193E_zps05biw1jb.jpg

I believe the fire truck was sent down from SYD airport for the landing of VH-OJA this morning

IMG_0199E_zpsr1ikuwar.jpg

Meaning they had to carry extra fuel (weight) because the meteorological boys/girls could not confidently forecast the weather conditions over a 17 minute gap ?! :lol:

Don't think those pilots will touch the aircraft unless there is enough fuel to the destination + alternate + reserve, just like any other flight.

Illawara is also the airport for Wollongong, right?

I think so, it is only 20km from Wollongong albeit it only serves for light aircrafts, no scheduled commercial flights

Capture1_zps7f8bi0zb.jpg

Capture2_zpswu54zeet.jpg

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

From the local council meeting minutes :

http://www.shellharbour.nsw.gov.au/filedata/pdf/20150209_BPExtraordinaryCouncilMeeting9February2015web.pdf

Some key points :

• Under a 5 year lease agreement, HARS (Historical Aircraft Restoration Society - the recipient of VH-OJA as a gift from QF) will pay the council $10,400 per annum being 'licence to park aircraft' (ie parking fee). However, the council will subsidy $5,626 per annum
  • HARS will also be imposed a $650 fee per annum being 'Lease of Airspace' as sections of the aircraft including left wing and tail wing will overhang 6.9m above council road. :lol:

Capture_zpss3rqowxm.jpg

Wow Mr. Kee did you go and witness this once-in-a-lifetime event? That would be awesome!

Haha the one world livery 744 in the photoshoped picture looked to be VH-OJU rather than VH-OJA :)

Thats pretty generous of Qantas. Hope something of this nature can be done in Malaysia too.

Edited by S V Choong

Wow Mr. Kee did you go and witness this once-in-a-lifetime event? That would be awesome!

Yes, I caught the first train out of Sydney Central Station at approx 5am. My carriage was full of youngsters going back to Wollongong after party all night long at Sydney Mardi Gras.

Sydney Central Station at 5am.

IMG_0137E%20-%20Central%20Station_zps8lx

More photos from yesterday event

VH-OJA being towed to temporary parking bay next to HARS museum hangar

IMG_0208%20-%20VH-OJA%20towed%20to%20HAR

IMG_0204%20-%20VH-OJA%20towed%20to%20HAR

So this was the flight crew that took the GoPro shoots

IMG_0204E1%20-%20VH-OJA%20towed%20to%20H

IMG_0211%20-%20VH-OJA%20towed%20to%20HAR

IMG_0216%20-%20VH-OJA%20towed%20to%20HAR

IMG_0218%20-%20VH-OJA%20towed%20to%20HAR

IMG_0228E_zpsm5knqluw.jpg

VH-OJA was temporary parked on existing apron before moving onto a permanent concrete slab. Some big plastic mats were placed under the wheels to help to spread the load across a bigger area hence reducing loading to the existing asphalt apron

IMG_0270E_zpsznmv8dyq.jpg

IMG_0243E_zpsbvprtw1b.jpg

Permission was granted from Boeing to reduce the tyre presssure in all eighteen wheels to ensure that the weight of the aircraft was evenly distributed on the runway surface, reducing the risk of damage to the runway

IMG_0234E_zpsyoopuktd.jpg

IMG_0261E_zpsy8rpldbs.jpg

The crowds

IMG_0241E_zpsdqsrkxvu.jpg

IMG_0269E_zps0txpuqz9.jpg

VIPs

IMG_0255E_zpsktzgvfoj.jpg

IMG_0256E_zps2lckvyys.jpg

IMG_0249E_zpsphantlja.jpg

IMG_0265E_zpsdzvlfrei.jpg

IMG_0262E_zpsahet4t8i.jpg

IMG_0266E_zpsw1dynh0g.jpg

IMG_0268E_zpsvdopquos.jpg

IMG_0271E_zpsjtarqipi.jpg

IMG_0279E_zpssbr3rghe.jpg

IMG_0300E_zps7alran1n.jpg

Tired of B744 ? Here is a side dish :)

IMG_0296E_zpsawcav2nr.jpg

IMG_0298E_zpse6pl7uqi.jpg

IMG_0299E_zpse89huqgl.jpg

Hope something of this nature can be done in Malaysia too.

Don't hold your breath, Waiping has reported arrest of spotter at KLIA recently

http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?s=82b486464e88e9b44722d914a13d9a17&showtopic=20287&hl=

Doesn't seem our appreciation of things aviation here is appreciated that much by those in authority here :(

I still remember back when QF sent their B747-200 into retirement and donated it to Qantas Founders Outback Museum in Longreach, QLD. The pilots had to practice the landing at Longreach Airport for several times in the simulator due to the airport's short runway.

Can we suggests to MAS to donate their last Boeing 747 or 777 to some small airports too to spur local economy and initiate interest of aviation among the public outside Klang Valley?

I still remember back when QF sent their B747-200 into retirement and donated it to Qantas Founders Outback Museum in Longreach, QLD. The pilots had to practice the landing at Longreach Airport for several times in the simulator due to the airport's short runway.

Can we suggests to MAS to donate their last Boeing 747 or 777 to some small airports too to spur local economy and initiate interest of aviation among the public outside Klang Valley?

Please send to the hinterland out East... we need the economic stimulation there. :D TWU or SDK please. Both should be 747/777 ready (from what I heard)?

Whoa Mr. Kee, that's looks like a good 300mm to 400mm zoom lens at your disposal! Great coverage of this bird. Was this event widely advertised? I would hop onto the plane from Melbourne too, if I am still based in Australia.

Hope the drunken kids on the train did not cause too much of a chaos in the train you boarded to Wollongong...

Edited by S V Choong

Please send to the hinterland out East... we need the economic stimulation there. :D TWU or SDK please. Both should be 747/777 ready (from what I heard)?

Whoa Mr. Kee, that's looks like a good 300mm to 400mm zoom lens at your disposal! Great coverage of this bird. Was this event widely advertised? I would hop onto the plane from Melbourne too, if I am still based in Australia.

Hope the drunken kids on the train did not cause too much of a chaos in the train you boarded to Wollongong...

The thing is I don't recall there is any aviation museum in Malaysia.......

Yes, the event was widely reported by the local media. QF held a briefing session explaining the planning and preparation works few days before the event.

I know many came from outstation to the small town of Albion Park to witness this historical moment. It was reported some even camped outside the perimeter fence a night before.

The kids on the train were not too bad, only thing was I couldn't get a good sleep on the 2 hours train journey.

After the kids had set down at Wollongong train station, with another approx 20 minutes to my destination ~ empty car

IMG_0140E%20-South%20Coast%20Line%20to%2

After I set down at my stop only I realised that many others who came for the same event were in other carriages in the same train I took.........

Made a visit to Historical Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) in Illawarra Regional Airport, Albion Park, NSW. It is also the final resting place for QF's 1st B747-400, VH-OJA.

VH-OJA was donated to HARS by QF after QF has retired her in Mar 2015.

IMG_2700E_zpsxsej7s9f.jpg

IMG_2542E_zps50rzxbxb.jpg

The engines are still in working condition. QF is planning to take back the engines to service

IMG_2544E_zpshphowofv.jpg

IMG_2545E_zpsmi88ifiq.jpg

IMG_2546E_zpsopti2n7y.jpg

IMG_2547E_zps6r2u9hlc.jpg

IMG_2550E_zps35kaldyt.jpg

IMG_2568E_zps80ubzqjv.jpg

IMG_2570E_zpsi4yhs1sn.jpg

Economy

IMG_2558E_zps5wccgqw2.jpg

Our tour guide. There are many volunteers from HARS offering their service for the guided tour. This is business class at the front end

IMG_2554E_zps6ennkori.jpg

Some messages left by QF crew & engineering staffs at her retirement

IMG_2555E_zps6qao2ojk.jpg

Stairs to the upper deck

IMG_2567E_zpsep2ykxqm.jpg

Business Class at the upper deck

IMG_2563E_zps4lkceol8.jpg

IMG_2562E_zps1xe2jdhd.jpg

IMG_2561E_zps8g58nxvz.jpg

Sign in to follow this