MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Christoph Mueller

Airlines like China Airlines, Korean Air and Air France have far worse safety records yet none of these carriers change their IATA code. And both China Airlines and Korean Air are still going strong and profitable business entity.

The incidents involving those airlines (except for AF447) were from different era where people don't use #hashtag, retweet, forwarding the accident pictures in social media etc. The 2 incidents involving MAS caused the MH flight code to stick in the mind of people globally.

I am also in the opinion that changing the airlines's IATA code is not necessary but it seems that this pointer is being discussed seriously among (serious) A.Netters that I knew, so it must hold some weight. When Swissair evolved into Swiss International Air Lines, the airline code changed from SR to LX. So if MH is heading this way, the code does not necessarily has to start with the letter M.

As for marketing campaign and livery, I think these are a tad less important to what the airline needs to address in its first couple of months as a new co - corporate restructuring, route rationalisation, business plan. Once the fundamentals have been addressed then probably the livery and marketing tagline can be revisit.

My point on these 2 issues:

Livery - Should be mostly white. Something like JL. I am proposing an entirely white, with the wau logo just in red. It has to be entirely white to signify a new beginning, clean sheet, no corruption, less baggage, serious.

Marketing tagline - Should follow the current trend - catchy and memorable short words. E.g. Emirates' Hello Tomorrow, BA's To Fly To Serve. MH's current "Journey is made by the people you travelled with" is too mouthful, too long, very difficult to remember, too karangan Bahasa Malaysia.

To add one more to it:

Brand Ambassador - If MH is heading this way, choose the brand ambassador carefully. First of all, terminate the contract with that Australian tennis player no one knows about, what are you thinking? He/She should reflect the business plan - a new beginning, clean sheet, no corruption, less baggage, serious. Try to copy Etihad's coup of Nicole Kidman or Turkish Airlines' with Messi and Drogba, which I think is bloody brilliant. This person must NOT be a Malaysian. He/She has to be a global icon. My proposal - Louis Hamilton or Daniel Craig or David Beckham or Emma Watson [Hermoine in Harry Potters series] (she is currently dating Prince Harry, so massive future exposure here if she ended up as the newest member of the Royal family). British is best since MH does not fly to the Americas and the trunk international route is the Kangaroo Route.

Very refreshing MAR :good:

It will be good if they manage to do at least bulk of that (forget 'all' - it isn't going to happen :))

As for marketing campaign and livery, I think these are a tad less important to what the airline needs to address in its first couple of months as a new co - corporate restructuring, route rationalisation, business plan. Once the fundamentals have been addressed then probably the livery and marketing tagline can be revisit.

Though I would differ in this respect - these need to roll out all in one go

Doing it in stages will only confuse the cause, and probably cost more in long term

I am also in the opinion that changing the airlines's IATA code is not necessary but it seems that this pointer is being discussed seriously among (serious) A.Netters that I knew, so it must hold some weight. When Swissair evolved into Swiss International Air Lines, the airline code changed from SR to LX. So if MH is heading this way, the code does not necessarily has to start with the letter M.

9M is available - quite fitting if you ask me.

Livery - Should be mostly white. Something like JL. I am proposing an entirely white, with the wau logo just in red. It has to be entirely white to signify a new beginning, clean sheet, no corruption, less baggage, serious.

Please, no Eurowhite. I prefer this instead http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/search/photo_search.php?id=00014968

Marketing tagline - Should follow the current trend - catchy and memorable short words. E.g. Emirates' Hello Tomorrow, BA's To Fly To Serve. MH's current "Journey is made by the people you travelled with" is too mouthful, too long, very difficult to remember, too karangan Bahasa Malaysia.

Bring back "We'll Treat You Like Gold"

I thought MAS already changed the slogan to "Journeys are made by the people you travel with"?

Yup, this is a mouth full, and sorry to say I haven't heard of it.

Perhaps we tried too hard to relate MH with Malaysia Airlines with Malaysia Hospitality. When bad things happen we try to undo those effort, which is really tough.

Gold is not as valuable as half decade again. :D

IMHO white is ok, Not everyone can do an Etihad or Virgin Atlantic and get away with it. Those are unique to the airlines. I kinda miss the cheatline as not many airlines have them nowadays. Oh yes, please ENLARGE not reduce the Wau size. It's your logo. The Kangaroo and Oryx had gotten bigger, but the Wau shrunk?

Edited by Waiping

I kinda agree with Waiping on the use of 'Gold'.

It sounds (and rhymes) with 'old'.

The image might not be slick and sophisticated. When seeing the word 'Gold', my brain is playing the song Gold by Spandau Ballet in my head. That song (an 80s pop hit) has an 'old' image attaching to it.

Not all things 'old' should have negativity associated

(but then at my stage, you would expect me to opine as such :))

It all depends on how you project and market that facet

Prime example I can quote is how very many property developments locally here in Kota Kinabalu recently have chosen to incorporate 'Jesselton' into their branding, which happens to be what the town used to be known as way way back in time, before 'Kinabalu' came into vogue (and has since waned)

Old can be associated with having withstood tribulations over time, and gold is certainly something that is so; hence the term 'gold standard' :)

Having said that, please don't paint the planes gold - would look so plainly tacky ! :D

Edited by BC Tam

Don't forget Singapore Airlines too...

However, I do think that when they launch the newco on 1 September, they should have a new livery for ALL their aircraft. Having three liveries show that its branding and marketing strategy is somewhat confused...

For the record, Singapore Airlines does not have far worse safety record when compared to Malaysia. The only fatal one for SQ is SQ006 in TPE bound for SFO in the early '00.

I kind of like this although the font should be more of the current design

00013815.jpg

Oh no, not another of those 'I think what MH livery should be like' thread again!

I just think that that the 77E are keeping the old livery because MH is still up in the arms about what to do with the 77E and they didn't want to spend the time and effort to repaint the 77E into the swoosh livery. Somehow this gets translated into laziness and identity crisis.

Edited by S V Choong

It seems about 1/3 of top management will be mss (current buzzword is mutual separation) along with over 6,000 rank and file.

That is good news!

It was the top management who caused the bloatedness (by cost) in the past hence the term top-heavy and I believe this was what the unions have been telling past CEOs.

Have a search in A.Net and one would be surprised by the stories - someone, a fresh grad landing a plum job in MH just because they are nephew, niece, relative of someone someone in the top management.

The first round of MH "mutual separation" (or VSS) saw plenty of new entrepreneur in tourism sector. I wonder if this is the case again.

That is good news!

It was the top management who caused the bloatedness (by cost) in the past hence the term top-heavy and I believe this was what the unions have been telling past CEOs.

Have a search in A.Net and one would be surprised by the stories - someone, a fresh grad landing a plum job in MH just because they are nephew, niece, relative of someone someone in the top management.

It seems CM has interviewed everyone in the top management (about 100) and given them assignment to be reported back to him personally.

After MAS Act, privilege suppliers are taking negotiation with mh more seriously and contingency plan i.e substitute is considered.

So far, Khazanah and PMO is supportive of CM, drastic change is expected at mh provided PMO is staying away.

Edited by KK Lee

Gold colour researches as very old, stodgy and uptight in almost every focus group study i've seen. Unless MH wants to appeal to the 85 year old, maybe not so good to go with this.... :D

Yay Suzanne is in my team. Sorry BC Tam, told you LOL.

Ok, latest spicy gossip from London fresh from the oven circulating amongst the Malaysian expat community here:

Apparently, the tough non-nonsense boss that Mueller is passed thru LHR on the way to Malaysia to take up his job, and as courtesy, the station manager offered to take him on a tour of the MH LHR operations. Mueller's response: Don't you have more important things to do?

Years of sucking up to the VIPs has proven to be an undesirable skill to the poor MH LHR station manager in the CM's book. Hope he picked up himself and do not suck anymore.

So to all the kaki kipas/kaki ampu/kaki jilat who will be joining the New Co, you have been warned.

kaki kipas/kaki ampu/kaki jilat = Those who cling/suck up to bosses, often for personal agenda/gain

Yay Suzanne is in my team. Sorry BC Tam, told you LOL.

Hahah no la - Dpn't think anyone is wrong - I'm just relating my experience in product design for small goods la. Maybe Gold is super cool for an airline, mana tau? :p

Honestly what do you think the station manager at LHR should do? Just ignore him? It may just be an act of courtesy to a passengers, never mind whether VIP or otherwise.

On a side note, I hope MH's courteous attitude towards their customers will not be swapped with AK's customer service. They are next to none existence.

I think the offer came at the wrong time.

Offering a tour of the MH LHR operation at the time of check in (possibly for the flagship MH1), which is possibly the busiest time, is a mistake. It will disrupt the staff (having to stop doing their job to explain, salam the new CEO, take selfies etc etc) and thus will effect the customers too (staff lambat, queue panjang, luggage, boarding, departure everything delay because new CEO buat tour of operation. And delay in LHR you know la kan nak taxi to runway pun can take almost an hour).

CM has been in the aviation business for what, 50 years (?) and is based in Europe. I am sure he knows how the operation of an airline based in LHR. Don't think MH has any special procedure in the operation that is worth to tour about.

I think the best he can do at that time is just to process CM's check-in formality at the swiftest speed possible, wish him bon voyage and the best of luck on the new job (a small but sincere and courteous personal touch, make it impactful). Then smile big. That's it.

Nice touch, proper German efficiency! Hope that he manages to bring about some changes to MH (rose tinted spectacles)... In reality, might not be so easy to make those difficult decisions as I'm sure the unseen hands will put up a fight

Tough turnaround for Malaysia Airlines

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines’ (MAS) new chief executive officer (CEO), Christoph Mueller (pic), in his first message to 20,000 employees has warned of massive cost cuts, as the chilling truth is that the airline’s cost has been 20% above that of its competitors.

He also pointed out that this year would be more challenging than anticipated. The strong US dollar has hurt its operations, and as a result, MAS has not fully benefited from the lower jet fuel prices.

For now, demand for the airline’s services in key markets is still sluggish despite MAS offering high discounts on its ticket prices.

He also said that MAS’ payroll cost was too high.

I wonder by what matrix is he referring to in terms of payroll costs - high headcount or high salaries?

I would imagine that it would be both - too high headcount for the lower level staff and too high salaries for those higher up!

Some interesting observations:

In order to grow, Mueller pointed out that “sometimes we have to retreat and regroup before growing again. That is the ultimate target, we want to grow again in the last phase of the restructuring”.

It would appear that he is learning the JAL turnaround lessons.

His vision for the new airline is one which is safe, on-time and friendly. Since it will be a new airline, he is looking at a uniform change, a new common building to work in, new processes and teamwork system-wide.

He is taking a clean sheet, zero based, approach.

He will be building a new airline based on what he knows will work - he is also shaping the new airline to be able to offer good competition to LCCs. What he has not mentioned is how it will compete with the ME3.

He will most probably do the same with what he did to EI. Retire small sub fleet (B735), cut office jobs, streamline hub, cut routes, and overhaul management,

Once stabilised, order new jets (newer A332), move away from head to head competition with Ryanair, expand Transatlantic services and do contract service for VS.