MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Christoph Mueller

Entrapment? So that he will toed the line and listen to his puppet masters? Far fetched. I am more inclined to think that it was more of a political move than anything else. Pressure were mounting not so long ago from grassroots being not comfortable having a mat salleh controlling the airline. A face loosing situation to these people.

Till date, we have yet to hear much development about CM's successor which is slated to be from Khazanah. Probably vetting through the candidate's background. It would not be hard to pluck one out of the skies and put in charge of the airline, since probably CM is still working behind the scenes. Strategies may come from him but at least, it will come out from the mouth of a homebred corporate leader.

Will politics continued to plagued MAS, or good business sense prevails at the end of the day?

I would almost certainly be for actual personal circumstances that is the cause. Either that or he is just extremely careful with his words and what he emphasise to the press. It is just unfortunate as his coming on board, personally gave me confidence that MAB has some chance of improvement.

I think most of us here had high hopes when Herr Mueller took the helm. Now, our optimism is very much reduced and the turnaround seems to be stuttering with conflicting statements and actions from MAB/MAG.

I think he is being a diplomat and does not want to burn any bridges by saying his resignation is due to personal circumstances. It is a way of hushing up any issues that he may have.

However, seasoned analysts//observers will know that when it comes to anything that has govt. involvement, matters are not so simple. There is lots of wheeling and dealing and there are many parties wanting to partake in whatever that is at stake. Only time will tell whether Mueller's resignation was a result of him being ousted by the warlords of this country.

Edited by flee

People here still speculating about CM's departure - politics, bla bla.. Quite surprised that the supposedly juicy details have still yet to leak :nea:

People here still speculating about CM's departure - politics, bla bla.. Quite surprised that the supposedly juicy details have still yet to leak :nea:

Are you speaking because you know of what really happened? Or just speaking because you are just expecting more than what is being said to the media?

I am speaking because I've heard the same rumor from a few "credible" sources.. but no one has discussed it here (at least properly) yet

Mueller can’t understand our work culture, Nufam says after ‘sleeping’ claim

“The problem with him is he is an outsider and may not understand the culture of workers in this country.

“When workers sleeps, there may be a reason why they sleep. Is sleep not important for the workers to recover their energy?

I think the entire Malaysian working population got slapped in the face with that one quote there :)

That statement from NUFAM riles me. Sleeping on the job is not the "malaysian way" or "our culture". Please shut up and don't speak for us. Whatever sympathy I may have had for them just evaporated like that.

That statement from NUFAM riles me. Sleeping on the job is not the "malaysian way" or "our culture". Please shut up and don't speak for us. Whatever sympathy I may have had for them just evaporated like that.

Exactly! That is HIS culture, not us lo...

What is 'sleeping' means?

They dont have work to do or they dont want to do job.

For example in engineering

MAB only pay around rm1800-3000 for aircraft technician. They will strugle to do an OT to get more take home pay.

Lot of engineering staff migrate to EK, Ey, QR. They get at least 12k and it tax free. They have no problen in doing work. They follow what company ask them to do.

Due to politic, culture and education, it is unfortunate that most businesses in Malaysia is caught in a catch 22 situation; pay is low because poor productivity, and if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Believe we need a prolonged economic recession to change the mind set.

It just reflects a part of the work culture problem that is endemic in Malaysia, especially in the GLCs and government agencies/departments.

It's unfair to paint everyone with the same stroke of brush, and there are many good people in the GLCs and civil service. Some GLCs have shown tremendous improvement in recent years.

But lets not kid ourselves. It's still a different world from the private sector.

That said, Mueller's choice of words could have been better.

If I were CM, when i joined i would have sacked the NUFAM president or any of the union chiefs in the first place....if can't be done that I would reassign them in a new role which makes them uneasy and let them resign on their own free will.......

It just reflects a part of the work culture problem that is endemic in Malaysia, especially in the GLCs and government agencies/departments.

It's unfair to paint everyone with the same stroke of brush, and there are many good people in the GLCs and civil service. Some GLCs have shown tremendous improvement in recent years.

But lets not kid ourselves. It's still a different world from the private sector.

That said, Mueller's choice of words could have been better.

IIRC, that interview was conducted at the sidelines of the IATA AGM - that was about two weeks ago and the local media is just picking selected bits of it up.

Also, the translation from German to English may not be perfect.

I think Mueller mentioned the sleeping bit when he did his walk thru at the hangars. But that was not the main point he was trying to make. What he really wanted to say is that MAS was bleeding and it was urgent to stop the leaks. However, Khazanah did not have to balls to fire the workers (especially those who were blatantly sleeping and redundant) and waited for him to do it for them. So, six months or more of knowing that there is a problem but no action taken...

If I were CM, when i joined i would have sacked the NUFAM president or any of the union chiefs in the first place....if can't be done that I would reassign them in a new role which makes them uneasy and let them resign on their own free will.......

In the past, some union leaders were awarded aircraft cleaning contract for the support of BTP. If union chiefs don't make noise, no contract forthcoming and they may lose the next election.

If I'm not mistaken,NUFAM president is no longer working as a cabin crew even before CM become the ceo of MAB

Such a shame for CM who came with good reputation, only to be brought down by incompetent people he's to work with.

Such a shame for CM who came with good reputation, only to be brought down by incompetent people he's to work with.

This could more or less be forecast when he was appointed. Looks like he had too big a job to do.

Judging by all the political mudslinging at him, it is people who have vested interests that are very unhappy with him. So they usually use our normal playbook of sex scandals to taint their target. Very immature and predictable.

isn't it the CEO's job to make the people working under him or with him better? I mean if employees can do it themselves then there's no need for a good CEO in the first place....

also if he can't turn things around or at least make things better or put things into a better path, does that not make him not such a good CEO?

for example, Marissa Mayer was highly touted out of Google when assuming her new CEO position at Yahoo.. but she can't seem to right the company until now, is she a good CEO? or is she being brought down by incompetent people at Yahoo?

Stephen Elop was hired to turn around Nokia, instead he couldn't do it and now Nokia is no longer in the consumer business...is he a good CEO? or are Finns just hard to work with and incompetent in nature that this good CEO couldn't turn around the company

on the other hand, ex Olympus CEO Micheal Woodford found and exposed the Olympus scandal, one of the biggest financial scandal in the history of corporate Japan (in doing exposes the long running ties between corporate Japan and organized crimes and the rampant bribery culture in corporate Japan) and was even removed from his position by the board for trying to expose the scandal

he did this despite real threat on his life that he fled to the UK after his dismissal....now I would say that's a very good CEO with extremely good integrity...

He has the power to "let go" (better word than fire?) people whom he think is incompetent at work, and hiring the right team, so this won't be his excuse.

cant wait for CM's expose on his real reason of leaving MH, if he's not bound by any perpetual NDA that is....

I don't think he is bound by any NDA but I definitely don't think he will have any expose. It is also risky on his behalf.

Ok guys, all the OT discussions have been removed to the Golden Lounge if you wish to continue.

A spy from "high above" has just leaked what is considered the most reliable rumour for this topic todate:

Job offer from EK. Child custody. ALL JUST RUMOURS OF COURSE.

Note: Edited from original post per request to "trim it down".