MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Christoph Mueller

Jaw dropped almost to ground when heard news. Remember reading a few days ago he said his problem was there is only 24hours a day - not enough time for him to work things through in MH.

" Mueller told AP that he has reduced the number of suppliers from more than 20,000 to about 4,900 to save costs, with the aim of cutting it down to 2,000". - See more at:

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/new-malaysia-airlines-ceo-to-quit-in-september

Likely will balloon back to 20 000 in double quick time. Ditto workforce

No, don't appoint Emirsyah Satar, he was the one who over expanded GA and is taking toll on GA.

Good that CM is leaving, we can close down MH asap. I have no sympathy for this pathetic airline. Save my pension fund money and tax.

If can be, please close tomorrow. I don't give two hoots about the staff livelihood too. We have seen hundred and one MH episodes of drama for past 20 decades!!

AMEN!!!!!

Just put this miserable dog out of its misery, PUT IT DOWN!!!

Sounds like he is no longer in charge as higher powers may be blocking his initiatives. Could it be related to the rebranding of the airline? It is taking forever and we have not seen much of the rebranding initiatives to date. He might have resigned because he is no longer capable of performing his job due to outside interference.

May be we will hear more of the stories once he left the airline and the country altogether. After the completion of his tenure, in September 2016.

According to rumours mill; CM was engaging in team building exercise this 2 weeks, hence, resignation was unplanned. It seems his next action plan is heavily modified by the shareholders and he may not be compensated.

Deciphering more of Mueller's departure will be meddling more into politics. Anyways, in general and typical of any Malaysian GLCs, the head of the company have to be a local. On whether this person can do the job or not, it doesn't matter.

Most likely Muellar's reform plans will still be carried out still as the sudden departure will leave the airline in a limbo.

If the original rumours were true about CMs appointment, then there should considerable influence again on the next appointee..

Take it for what it is, people. The man is resigning for "personal" reasons. Be that health, or the inability to work with local stakeholders - time will tell.

As for irresponsible comments about shutting the airline down tomorrow and not caring for the employees livelihoods - kudos to you for being dickheads! Your EPF would be consumed in payouts to these affected individuals and you won't see again whatever has already been invested.

I've read before that he was being paid RM20 million annually (EUR5 million?). Again, if it wasn't anything to do with personal reasons, I don't think he would just resign..

"We are very disappointed to lose Christoph as CEO but we fully understand his reasons and respect his need to do this," Malaysian Airlines Chairman Md Nor Yusof said

It said that Mueller had set up a strong management team which would be the foundation for a successful turnaround

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36088834

Above statement might be political but i believe as of now any theory of him leaving are just pure speculative. Lets just give it some time.

Edited by iwan

Mueller: The show must go on

...In an internal memo to MAB staff, Mueller said his decision to leave MAB was due to ‘personal reasons that are beyond my control’...

...“In order to facilitate a smooth transition, the board has appointed Peter Bellew, MAB’s chief operating officer as executive director of the board with immediate effect. I hope to be able to remain as non-executive member of the board of directors for some time, subject to approvals, to ensure we stay focused and we stay on course,” he said in the memo...

...“I remain fully committed to do everything possible to facilitate the continuing turnaround of Malaysia Airlines and will continue this task for another six months in my executive position. The airline has been restructured and repositioned to regain its leading position as a national carrier we can all be proud of,”...
...He finished off by saying: ‘The show must go on!’

More from: http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/04/19/mueller-show-must-go-on/

He may be resigning, but he seems doesn't want to abandon MH altogether... :)

Interesting remarks from the unions:

"We foresee with Mueller's sudden departure, it will certainly bring about another chapter of leakages in MAB again," National Union of Flight Attendants Malaysia (Nufam) said in a statement today.

Source: http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/338486

I am not very familiar with Nufam and their contributions to MAS over the years. Could use some quick updates/summary on their position here if they are efficient, effective? Thanks

My gut feel is, there's plenty of smoke and mirrors surrounding his resignation.....

the govt should just allowa foreign airline who is interested to take up to 49% equity in MAB and try to make it work one more time to see if MAB can truly be saved.

Some have speculated that was already the plan after 3 years of Christoph Mueller. MAS was indeed being primed for a sale.

There was also a backstory that initially it was Qantas who would have taken a stake in MAS, before ultimately being sold together to IAG.

I am shocked by this news but I wish CM well and that his "personal circumstances" work out for the better. Given his track record, I don't think he's the kind of person that would quit due to political interference because he has shown his commitment to his previous jobs. However, a change in personal circumstances beyond his control could mean that it's family related or health related and he may not be able to spend all his time in Malaysia, which means he can't give his job the full attention that it deserves.

From the spies:

The new CEO for MH is the current CEO of MRT Corp.

Basis of selection:

1. He is in the transportation industry (train)

2. He was with the lessor of MH aircraft PMB for a few years before joining the train line.

3. Because Khazanah can appoint whoever they fancy.

From the spies:

The new CEO for MH is the current CEO of MRT Corp.

Basis of selection:

1. He is in the transportation industry (train)

2. He was with the lessor of MH aircraft PMB for a few years before joining the train line.

3. Because Khazanah can appoint whoever they fancy.

and cheaper..! 😁

Edited by nrazmoor

I am shocked by this news but I wish CM well and that his "personal circumstances" work out for the better. Given his track record, I don't think he's the kind of person that would quit due to political interference because he has shown his commitment to his previous jobs. However, a change in personal circumstances beyond his control could mean that it's family related or health related and he may not be able to spend all his time in Malaysia, which means he can't give his job the full attention that it deserves.

Given double daily flight from KUL to LHR and he could travel almost unlimitedly, doubt family or health related reason was the reason for his resignation.

For a side note; According to our Belgium colleagues; Belgians still haven't forgive CM for the collapse of Sabena.

Aint he the same guy who resigned because he wanna took responsibility for the death of Bangladeshi workers on site at Sungai Buloh depot?

No not him. The current CEO of MRT Corp is DS Sharil Mokhtar. The guy who quit was the previous CEO before him Datuk Azhar Abdul Hamid.

Tbh, MRT Corp isn't a train operating company but merely handling its construction, so I don't see what experiences he can bring in. Its different if they appointed someone from ERL, which is what KTM did for the ETS.

According to rumours mill; CM was engaging in team building exercise this 2 weeks, hence, resignation was unplanned. It seems his next action plan is heavily modified by the shareholders and he may not be compensated.

If the original rumours were true about CMs appointment, then there should considerable influence again on the next appointee..

Take it for what it is, people. The man is resigning for "personal" reasons. Be that health, or the inability to work with local stakeholders - time will tell.

As for irresponsible comments about shutting the airline down tomorrow and not caring for the employees livelihoods - kudos to you for being dickheads! Your EPF would be consumed in payouts to these affected individuals and you won't see again whatever has already been invested.

Rumour on the "personal reasons": He's having an affair with a cabin crew :S

Don't know how true this is.

Rumour on the "personal reasons": He's having an affair with a cabin crew :S

Don't know how true this is.

Man... the wife and kids must be pissed off!

Perhaps someone want to discredit him by making false claims on his personal life.