MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Bandit

Vietnam Airlines New B787 and A350

Yes, I just had a look at Nov 2015 schedules and they are sending the B788 to LHR too. Return fares are also around RM 1800+.

How long is the layover? If it's one whole day I feel it's not worth it for normal traveling (well at least for me).

But if you want to have a taste of the 787 then it's a bargain!

How long is the layover? If it's one whole day I feel it's not worth it for normal traveling (well at least for me).

KUL-SGN flights arrive in the afternoon or early evening and European flights depart at night. So the layover is a few hours - for planespotters, it is a chance to catch some airport action! ;) I think the duration of the flights is around 20 hours, each way.

You can go to LHR on a B788 and return from CDG on a A359 too - return fares are similar but you need to get a Eurostar ticket to Paris... :)

Edited by flee

or you can head into town for some delicious local food. plenty of restaurants serving halal food nearby ben thanh market.

Sorry, VN operates the B789 and not B788 as I had earlier mentioned. Apologies for the error!

Considering on a joyride to NRT with A350, with a coffee (shopping) stopover in SGN... :) , with both country currency exchange rate not too bad compared to our plunging MYR.

Edited by V Wong

Vietnam Airlines’ first Boeing 787-9 aircraft has arrived at Hanoi’s Noi Bai International Airport, and is expected to launch its first commercial service on 4 August.

With the arrival of the aircraft, which bears registration VN-A861, Vietnam Airlines becomes the first Asia Pacific carrier to operate both the 787-9 and A350-900, says the flag carrier in a statement.

Vietnam Airlines’ first Boeing 787-9 aircraft has arrived at Hanoi’s Noi Bai International Airport, and is expected to launch its first commercial service on 4 August.

With the arrival of the aircraft, which bears registration VN-A861, Vietnam Airlines becomes the first Asia Pacific carrier to operate both the 787-9 and A350-900, says the flag carrier in a statement.

Congratulations to VN. Hope they focus on their soft stuff as well - the crew, the services. Last time I flew in Feb 2014, I find the service is pretty average....

web.jpg

Vietnam Airlines has placed into service its first batch of 787-9s and A350-900s, enabling it to begin implementing a major widebody fleet renewal programme. Vietnam Airlines is only the second operator of the A350 worldwide and the successful introduction of two new-generation widebody aircraft types within only one month is a major accomplishment for a relatively small long-haul carrier.
The 787s and A350s are initially intended as replacements but there will be opportunity for some modest growth in the short term including a new route from Sydney to Hanoi. The Vietnamese flag carrier is also now looking at other new widebody types, including ultra long-range variants that would be used to launch non-stop services to North America. Vietnam Airlines has been looking at the 777-8X but could instead emerge, along with Singapore Airlines, as a launch customer for the proposed A350-900ER.
The biggest benefit of the new widebody fleet is increased efficiency and product improvements, including the carrier's first lie-flat business class seat. The enhancements could help Vietnam Airlines attract a strategic investor after an initial attempt to sell a stake to a foreign airline as part of its late 2014 initial public offering did not succeed.
Vietnam Airlines growth has been primarily domestic and regional international
Vietnam Airlines has seen rapid growth over the last several years. The flag carrier is on pace to carry about 17 million passengers in 2015. Passenger traffic has nearly doubled since 2008, when just under 9 million passengers were transported.

International passenger traffic has doubled since 2009 and now accounts for about 40% of total passenger traffic. But nearly all of the international growth has been to existing regional destinations within Asia.

Vietnam Airlines’ international network currently consists of 30 year-round scheduled destinations, up by only six from 24 at the end of 2008. Vietnam currently serves just six destinations outside Asia, including two in Australia and four in Europe.
Its widebody fleet shrunk slightly from 21 aircraft at the end of 2011 to 18 at the end of 2014. Vietnam Airlines took a long hiatus from expanding its long-haul operation in part because of multiple delays with the 787, which Vietnam Airlines initially planned to take from 2009. It experienced only a slight delay with the A350, which Vietnam Airlines was initially expecting to receive in 2014.
Vietnam Airlines begins A350 and 787 operations

Sign in to follow this