MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sharil Abdul Rahman

D7172 dumping fuel over Malacca Straits

My personal ( and possibly incorrect) assumption is probably a medical emergency. Better listen to official statement from D7.

Edited by Alif A. F.

I'm sure you know autothrottle in Boeings, when A/P and Auto throttle engaged, thrust levers moves forward or backward automaticly itself by a servo motor.

Different is, thrust levers doesn't moves itself in Airbus while A/P engaged, the pilots set the throttle once by remarks on throttle quadrant (according by flight situation). The rest of all power settings doing by computer. Example when you set takeoff power, you push the levers foward FLX position and hands off. In the remain of flight levers doesn't moves, stays the position but engines RPM changes A/P/MCDU/SPEED commands by computer.

So basicly, if levers moves automatic=autothrottle, if levers stable and does not moves=autothrust in "auto flight speed(N1,SPD,FMC etc) mode".

Agree - had it not been for the QZ crash, this aircraft would not have turned back. They cannot afford another round of bad publicity.

I'm sure you know autothrottle in Boeings, when A/P and Auto throttle engaged, thrust levers moves forward or backward automaticly itself by a servo motor.

Different is, thrust levers doesn't moves itself in Airbus while A/P engaged, the pilots set the throttle once by remarks on throttle quadrant (according by flight situation). The rest of all power settings doing by computer. Example when you set takeoff power, you push the levers foward FLX position and hands off. In the remain of flight levers doesn't moves, stays the position but engines RPM changes A/P/MCDU/SPEED commands by computer.

So basicly, if levers moves automatic=autothrottle, if levers stable and does not moves=autothrust in "auto flight speed(N1,SPD,FMC etc) mode".

Thanks Hakan, learned something new here !!!

(P.S. will be transitting IST on 20+24mar on my way to/from JFK - not leaving the airport, though)

yes they are being careful - but then again had the plane not circled for few hours and proceeded, then the media and others interested would not have known about this auto-throttle issue. The plane can still be safely flown; and this tech is not a rare thing. Some years ago, was flying on another major Asian airline and about 4 hours into the 7 hour flight, there seems to be this issue but the pilots decided to just continue onwards for the rest of the journey. However in this case it happened soon after take off, hence its ok to return to base and get it fixed.

Back on the B734 days, A/T inop is just a normal occurrence.

While I never flew them, it is said that older aircraft don't even have autothrottle at all.

Did D7 go for this option?

No, they did not. Very few airlines worldwide have opted for it.

Perhaps on the newer higher MTOW variants (242T -300, etc) it will become more common (and being perfectly honest, more justified with higher margins between MTOW and MLW)

Back on the B734 days, A/T inop is just a normal occurrence.

While I never flew them, it is said that older aircraft don't even have autothrottle at all.

Well back then flying was a lot simpler... none of these FD bull....

Has modern aircraft made flying less safe than the basic stick and yoke?

One thing is for sure that it has lessen the pilots' workload, and probably a lot more less flying fatigue ( in normal condition).

Whats this got to do with aax turn back? Fyi back then there were less aircraft in the sky. Back then there were less atc restrictions. Back then pilots might be less fatigue, back then the trip to airport were less stressful back then fuel was cheaper no environmental concern bull.

Whats this got to do with aax turn back? Fyi back then there were less aircraft in the sky. Back then there were less atc restrictions. Back then pilots might be less fatigue, back then the trip to airport were less stressful back then fuel was cheaper no environmental concern bull.

I seem to have touched a raw nerve here. I was commenting on Radzi's post about 734 with A/T unserviceable not being a big deal, the time when pilots didn't chase the FD bars for their life, or when A/T wasn't a no-go item. You've gone off on a tangent pal.

Sign in to follow this