MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
CH Teo

MASwings Relaunch

Yes. They are bloody expensive. Made no sense since they are supposedly subsidised. AK had SBW BKI in 09. But had to pull out after they made noise. And now the typical return fare for that route is RM400 to RM600 by them.

If what you say about the loads is true for all their flights, then MASwings should only be running RAS routes. It will not make profits if it only has 20 pax on each flight. The ATR s can be transferred to Firefly.

I remember when I checked MASWings fares several years ago, they were very expensive. Are the fares still that high these days?

OK, add on some more note on load factor: I did a rough headcount for the flight inbound from BKI to LBU (before MWA doing my flight this morning), the score is about 40 persons.

Yes, although the ceiling fares had been static for several years; it is still that high these days as it never been cheap from the real beginning, what more to add on 6% GST during GST era.

I bought my round trip tickets on PROMO rates for RM 188.15 all inclusive, though happy with what I get, it is still quite a high charge for a 40 minutes ride.

During that 3 to 4 years before last year (when they were having real low promo rates), those flights that I joined was pretty full.

They are the only faster means for transport within rural Sabah and Sarawak. By hook or by crook, the locals will still need to use them. Yet they are not profitable....wonder why........

It is a monopoly anyway for those routes that is solely operated by them (so called RAS), so what you say is true enough; no matter how high or low they are, pay it if you wanna fly!

To add on, ATR has the cheapest operating CASM among all 50-80 capacity turboprop. Good Lord they didn't buy Bombardier Dash 8!!

The thing is both Fireflyz and MASwings use the same aircraft types, why can't they make it the same business model and same level of fares charged from the real beginning??!

Operating costs wise, I believe iIt can't be flying ATR in Peninsular is cheaper than flying ATR in East Malaysia.

I mean, price your tickets reasonably affordable to the community you served and get the load factors up as high as possible; that should be what a real community airline is meant for

[what some may called it "air taxi" in foreign country] (of course need to at least cover up all fixed and variable costs).

Flying off to LDU this Friday. Fare was 300+ return.

That kind of money will get you a return ticket to KUL as well!

Ah, alas, it is still expensive! ;)

Believe this is market rate or what better known as full fares (MHFlex), really can go KUL on promo already (not talking about using AK, but their parent's company Malaysia Airlines)

PS: Anyway, discussion aside; with MAS is slowly migrating to MAB; awaits further information on what's MASwings direction and position will be under MAB.

Yes. They are bloody expensive. Made no sense since they are supposedly subsidised. AK had SBW BKI in 09. But had to pull out after they made noise. And now the typical return fare for that route is RM400 to RM600 by them.

Next time government should redesignate BKI-SBW as non-RAS route. As far as I know, Sibu is hardly rural like Lawas or Tanjung Manis.

PS: Anyway, discussion aside; with MAS is slowly migrating to MAB; awaits further information on what's MASwings direction and position will be under MAB.

CM did say that he wants to set up lots of subsidiaries so that they can all be more accountable and transparent and not lump everything into the melting pot. The RAS part of MAS should be separate so that it does not confuse the commercial objectives of the main airline.

As such, I think MAB should have a separate company that just operates the RAS routes and this company shall have break even (or maybe even a small profit) as its business objective.

Perhaps MASWings should solely be a Twotter operator while the ATR operation in East Malaysia should merge with Firefly so that we have clear branding for commercial purposes. As Firefly is a "community airline", it should fit in very well with East Malaysia services.

Would love to fly their Twinotter again between BKI and KUD (or back)...great memories...would be a new type for me, again, given the fact it's a Viking Twinotter now :)

Would love to fly their Twinotter again between BKI and KUD (or back)...great memories...would be a new type for me, again, given the fact it's a Viking Twinotter now :)

have been thinking along the same line. Thinking of a day trip BKI-KUD return. Is there a high risk of cancellation though? Since it's involving RAS with Twotter.

Nursyafiqah Mohd Hatta dreamed of becoming a pilot ever since she was young.
With a strong commitment to her studies, together with plenty of dedication and determination, she achieved her dream and is now part of the MASwings Sdn. Bhd. team as a Co-pilot, 2nd Officer, flying passengers to destinations around Borneo.

http://youtu.be/k8lRyU-gPaU

Edited by flee

Sign in to follow this