MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
CH Teo

MASwings Relaunch

With the new FB profile picture and the launching event slated on this Friday, 30th Jan at Kuching as posted on the website...let's awaits what direction are they heading... :D

MASwings is reported by AIN to be relaunching as a Low Cost Carrier with the addition of Boeing 737-800s to its fleet. Initially four aircraft will be leased "from the open market" and based at BKI. Routes will include desinations in China within 4 hours of flying time from KCH and BKI.

The information in the article is attributed to a "senior official" within Khazanah Nasional Berhad (KNB).

Interesting times - MASwings to take on AirAsia and Malindo!

Not long ago Firefly were going down the same route.

Geoff

MASwings is reported by AIN to be relaunching as a Low Cost Carrier with the addition of Boeing 737-800s to its fleet. Initially four aircraft will be leased "from the open market" and based at BKI. Routes will include desinations in China within 4 hours of flying time from KCH and BKI.

The information in the article is attributed to a "senior official" within Khazanah Nasional Berhad (KNB).

Interesting times - MASwings to take on AirAsia and Malindo!

Not long ago Firefly were going down the same route.

Geoff

Yes indeed. This is what I heard as well from MASWings official at last year MATTA Fair. Surprised it took this long to be materialised. MASWings to challenge MH, BI and OD??

Expect more bloodbath soon...Three budget carriers in Malaysia......Who will lose out in the end? OD is barely surviving.....

The question is whether MASWings will start flying to destinations in the peninsula - AK is finding that apart from KUL, direct flights to other peninsula destinations are not particularly successful. And OD is finding KCH and BKI tougher than expected. If MASWings just choose to fly to KUL, it will also be hurting MAS like FY did previously.

Khazanah had better get its business model 100% right or MH will bleed further!

Isn't MASwings "supposed" to bleed? It's a community airline to service rural areas.

Correct, that is how I remember it as when it came about - sort of like gahmen largely paying for these air services because roads cannot be built or cannot afford to build, to these places

And MASwings is supposed to keep separate accounts, in name of accountability and transparency

Apa jadi ?! :)

Logo looks the same, probably more of a marketing campaign than "relaunch" ?

Awaits the launching event, I believe it is the relaunch to LCC model; else they wont put "A new beginning" tagline over the "ads" on the website...

http://www.theborneopost.com/2015/01/30/maswings-aims-for-higher-passenger-load-factor/

http://www.nst.com.my/node/71263

Hehe, it's a marketing campaign first, relaunching slated for mid year (are they really going LCC? let's see)....

<<Sin Chew Daily News>> quoting the CEO says that the plan is at the minimum responsible for all routes within East Malaysia...

New Promo is all in RM 80 per way...

http://www.theborneopost.com/2015/01/30/maswings-aims-for-higher-passenger-load-factor/

http://www.nst.com.my/node/71263

Hehe, it's a marketing campaign first, relaunching slated for mid year (are they really going LCC? let's see)....

> quoting the CEO says that the plan is at the minimum responsible for all routes within East Malaysia...

New Promo is all in RM 80 per way...

I wonder what their load factor will be if they introduced B738s? Their load factor has not yet reached 70% with the existing fleet of small aircraft!

Correct, that is how I remember it as when it came about - sort of like gahmen largely paying for these air services because roads cannot be built or cannot afford to build, to these places

And MASwings is supposed to keep separate accounts, in name of accountability and transparency

Apa jadi ?! :)

You got to be kidding! Maswings is a private company and they have never published an official set of numbers to date. If you want to know, you got to do a company search!

I still wonder why roads can't be built in such a rich state (where the CM can become one of the richest people in the country). RAS is just burning money every year with nothing permanent built.

I wonder what their load factor will be if they introduced B738s? Their load factor has not yet reached 70% with the existing fleet of small aircraft!

You got to be kidding! Maswings is a private company and they have never published an official set of numbers to date. If you want to know, you got to do a company search!

I still wonder why roads can't be built in such a rich state (where the CM can become one of the richest people in the country). RAS is just burning money every year with nothing permanent built.

They can bring regional hets into Malaysia though, since Berjaya Air revival has not panned out. With low oil prices, regional jet might stand a chance, at least for now. :)

MASWings.....I would say the government has never intend for it to be profitable, rather it is social responsibility. Never if it make profit or not. MH couldn't made it last time, FAX too, what more of MASWings with new ATR and Twin Otter acquisition.

As for road not being built, you know, I know and everyone why....hahas!!

http://www.uniteddaily.com.my/?q=node/95588

This article is more interesting, it suggested that we may back to pre 2006 era!

Pricing is still the main factor why the loads are low, particularly for routes under 45 minutes.

If MASwings is to be relaunched as an LCC ... then why not merge Firefly and MASwings into one LCC.

That would reduce fixed costs while leveraging on the potential of east and west Malaysia as a whole.

KC Sim

Side track a bit, who know what is the status for 9M-MYA, MYB & MYC??

Seems not been flying for MASwings for quite sometimes...MYD being the only ATR 72-600 flying currently...

Side track a bit, who know what is the status for 9M-MYA, MYB & MYC??

Seems not been flying for MASwings for quite sometimes...MYD being the only ATR 72-600 flying currently...

Grounded at the moment according to sources(dunno how true is this) not due to tech issues but related to the partial sponsorship or funding from the state gov n other agency as they only sponsor routes flown by the ATR72-500 so lots of paperwork to be done to get the 600 series flying. Weird info but dunno how true is this.

Edited by jahur

If MASwings is to be relaunched as an LCC ... then why not merge Firefly and MASwings into one LCC.

That would reduce fixed costs while leveraging on the potential of east and west Malaysia as a whole.

KC Sim

Firefly is NOT an LCC. In fact, it has been upgraded and you can earn Enrich points on their flights for some time.

If MAS is planning to have an LCC, then MASWings will fit the bill and can be expanded to operate jets too.

Grounded at the moment according to sources(dunno how true is this) not due to tech issues but related to the partial sponsorship or funding from the state gov n other agency as they only sponsor routes flown by the ATR72-500 so lots of paperwork to be done to get the 600 series flying. Weird info but dunno how true is this.

Ah.. weird info indeed but it seems to fit to explain why we don't see MasWIng's AT76 MYA, MYB & MYC. Hope the paperwork will be sorted out soon and see them back flying.

Rather than grounded, might as well turn Maswings into true commercial entity (though, the minor issue really is about grounding of AT76).

Just flown them these two days after about 14 months since last flight on MASwings:

28.06.15 MH3123 9M-MWH MYY-LBU-BKI (I do the first sector only, MYY to LBU) Load = about 20 persons from MYY [Not sure how many joining from LBU for LBU-BKI]

29.06.15 MH3223 9M-MWA LBU-MYY Load = about 20 persons also [The seats starts to show ages although it had just been about 8 years plus old]

Given MYY-LBU / LBU-MYY had 5 daily services, I won't be able to comment on the loads during peak time, but let's discuss, would ATR 42-600 be a better equipment for MASwings (for thinner routes particularly, provided with higher frequencies)?

Edited by CH Teo

If what you say about the loads is true for all their flights, then MASwings should only be running RAS routes. It will not make profits if it only has 20 pax on each flight. The ATR s can be transferred to Firefly.

I remember when I checked MASWings fares several years ago, they were very expensive. Are the fares still that high these days?

Flying off to LDU this Friday. Fare was 300+ return.

That kind of money will get you a return ticket to KUL as well!

Ah, alas, it is still expensive! ;)

They are the only faster means for transport within rural Sabah and Sarawak. By hook or by crook, the locals will still need to use them. Yet they are not profitable....wonder why........

Sign in to follow this