MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Geoff R.

RMAF getting Brunei Blackhawks

Came across this report on the Malaysian Defence website claiming the RMAF is to get four Black Hawks that Brunei is disposing of.

www.malaysiandefence.com/?p=5827

Geoff

Edited by Geoff R.

Free of charge?

Excerpt from article:

RBAF is receiving up to 12 of the latest generation S-70i Blackhawks and it is believed this prompted the Sultan of Brunei to offer them to Malaysia following the incursion in Lahad Datu.

It is now expected the M134D mini-guns will be mounted on these donated Blackhawks rather than the A109s!

These are the existing Blackhawks in the RBAF fleet. The "A" versions.

Yes, they are getting new ones, the "i" version. So they want to dispose their old ones.

Wonder what's the mileage like on these Blackhawks?

Given the size of Brunei...even with those years...mileage on the BHawks are unlikely to be even a small fraction of the Nuri's. But we don't know if a major maintenance requirement is just around the corner...

Any news on this? When announced in January it was reported they were going to be handed over in September.

Other than a vague reference in a Borneo Post article in August, when Najib visited Brunei, it seems to have all gone quiet,

Geoff

Any news on this? When announced in January it was reported they were going to be handed over in September.

Other than a vague reference in a Borneo Post article in August, when Najib visited Brunei, it seems to have all gone quiet,

Geoff

As per http://www.malaysiandefence.com/deftech-av4-blackhawks-in-mark-v-soc-out/ they will be handed over by year end and fully transferred by April of next year. I'm guessing they're still waiting for the green light from the US State Department.

Edited by Al Khaymi

As per http://www.malaysiandefence.com/deftech-av4-blackhawks-in-mark-v-soc-out/ they will be handed over by year end and fully transferred by April of next year. I'm guessing they're still waiting for the green light from the US State Department.

Thanks for the information and link.

Interesting answer by Zulkifeli on who will operate the Black Hawks "will be operated jointly by the RMAF and the Army".

Geoff

Why the US state dept needs to know? oO

The US State Department is responsible for ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) and elements of the Black Hawk will be covered by ITAR. This will prevent Brunei passing on the aircraft to another country until approval is obtained.

Geoff

Interesting update on the RMAF S-70A Blackhawks; I've thought that the Army Aviation will became the operator of the Blackhawks (as they've currently operating the Nuri).

Looks like the 1MDB scandal has sucked most of the money from the Malaysian treasury - that is why there is no budget for legitimate expenditure.

I would imagine that the MiG-29 replacement will also be postponed indefinitely. Sad state of affairs.

Looks like the 1MDB scandal has sucked most of the money from the Malaysian treasury - that is why there is no budget for legitimate expenditure.

I would imagine that the MiG-29 replacement will also be postponed indefinitely. Sad state of affairs.

Last I heard; sugar daddy's revenue is just enough to cover opex, capex expenditure is sourced from bonds.