MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

AirAsia Zest overshoots runway in Kalibo, flight Z2272

I think that all were due to bad weather.

I think they should encourage pilots to divert or go around - the cost of aircraft repairs and loss of reputation is a lot more than the cost of a diversion or go around....

I think it must be the weather.

I was on the same route (MNL-KLO) on board PR2971 (2P2971 on FR24) on 17 Dec, about two weeks ago. The pilot attempted to land twice, but both time he decided to go around, citing winds were too strong, runway was wet and surroundings were dark. Eventually we were diverted back to Manila.

10898020_10152913030455485_3094467428171

We had to spend the night in NAIA and burnt our hotel stay in Boracay, but I guess its better to be safe.

PAL did not handle this very efficiently. Perhaps the only good thing about this whole experience, other than being safe, was that they opened up a flight just to ferry us to KLO early the next morning on a DHC-8 (first time on a Dash-8 for me). Wind was still really pretty strong when we landed the next day.

I think they should encourage pilots to divert or go around - the cost of aircraft repairs and loss of reputation is a lot more than the cost of a diversion or go around....

I don't think any reputable airline will discourage their pilots to conduct a go-around.

Spoke to some mates over at CAAP and PAL as well as MI, this airport is notorious for +TSRA and strong winds which when combined with circling approaches and a short wet (or soaked) runway have obvious potential consequences if an approach is mismanaged. Go-arounds are always encouraged. The Cebu flight before this aircraft had indeed gone around. Let the investigation reveal the causes, let's not speculate.

Sign in to follow this