MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Suzanne Goh

Indonesia AirAsia A320 PK-AXC Flight QZ8501 SUB-SIN Crashed Into the Java Sea All 162 POB Killed

Indonesia says crew action caused crashed AirAsia jet to lose control

Indonesian investigators said on Tuesday that crew action caused a loss of control and the stalling of an AirAsia passenger jet that crashed into the Java Sea last year, killing all 162 aboard.
The plane's flight control computer had a cracked solder joint that malfunctioned repeatedly, including four times during the flight, and 23 times the previous year.

A fault with the rudder control system was a major factor in the AirAsia plane crash last December in which 162 people died, Indonesian investigators have said.
In their final report into the crash, Indonesia’s official national transportation safety committee also said that crew action in response to the fault caused the jet to lose control.
Repeated problems with the rudder system led to the pilots disengaging the autopilot in stormy weather in an attempt to fix the situation.
Investigators said the soldering on the Rudder Travel Limiter system – which helps control the rudder’s movement – was cracked, leading it to send repeated warning systems to the pilots.
When they received the fourth warning, the pilots pulled circuit-breakers on part of the aircraft’s control system in a bid to reset the system. This turned off the autopilot, and the plane then started to roll, the report said.
“Subsequent flight crew action resulted in inability to control the aircraft,” said the report.
The plane went into a “prolonged stall condition that was beyond the capability of the crew to recover”, it said.
It added the flight data recorders did not indicate the weather had affected the aircraft.
The cracked solder joint had malfunctioned repeatedly, including four times during the flight, and 23 times the previous year.
The Airbus A320 aircraft crashed less than halfway into a two-hour flight from the Indonesian city of Surabaya to Singapore on 28 December last year.

If I am reading the report correctly, when they ran into problems, the co-pilot started pulling up and continued to pull up on his stick until the plane crashed. The Captain's actions on his side were therefore negated. Sounds familiar....

If I am reading the report correctly, when they ran into problems, the co-pilot started pulling up and continued to pull up on his stick until the plane crashed. The Captain's actions on his side were therefore negated. Sounds familiar....

AF447?

I'm no expert in flying but if they had continued flying with a faulty rudder...would they have made it to SIN?

I don't think there is a problem with the rudder per se, only with the deflection limiter system. So I don't doubt that they'd be able to fly on without much problems.

yeah, on both flights the captain had to fight the co-pilot for control of the plane. I wonder if there will be another debate about Airbus vs Boeing in how they approach flight controls.

yeah, on both flights the captain had to fight the co-pilot for control of the plane. I wonder if there will be another debate about Airbus vs Boeing in how they approach flight controls.

Looks like Gulfstream is fixing that problem with their new G500.

Why the AirAsia crash report should serve as a wake-up call for travellers
Air travel is fundamentally an extraordinarily safe form of transport. But what travellers may not realise is the training standards for pilots and the regulatory oversight of carriers around the world is not uniform - and airlines from countries with weaker watchdogs can fly to and from Australia.
This was highlighted in a report into the crash of AirAsia Indonesia flight 8501. The carrier is a budget airline that flies to Bali from Perth and Darwin and is merging with long-haul arm Indonesia AirAsia X that flies to Bali from Sydney and Melbourne.

Pull Down! Harsh Lessons from AirAsia 8501

In this article, A330 Captain Bill Palmer, author of “Understanding Air France 447,” and I (an A320 Captain) shall attempt to dissect some of these important safety lessons.

Note: it is not the intent of this article to point fingers, place blame, nor critique the findings of the QZ 8501 accident; rather, it is to review several important issues raised, and to learn from them. Further, while many issues such as maintenance practices were addressed in the report as well, we will only address those points relevant to pilots.

Pull down.. reflex reaction will be to pull rather than to push down. And with both pilots giving out contradicting reactions (one push and the other pull)) the plane just don't fly anymore. It takes a lot of practice, especially when pilots are told to trust the instruments when human instinct will say otherwise.

Just like some of us I am sure that don't really trust our car's GPS. It says turn, but then we second guess it, most of the them.

So tragic.