MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Suzanne Goh

Indonesia AirAsia A320 PK-AXC Flight QZ8501 SUB-SIN Crashed Into the Java Sea All 162 POB Killed

Sometimes, approvals are given but the paperwork is not up to date.

Yes, it is strange that a flight is allowed to proceed if it is not approved!

you mean, the route could be suspended shortly after departure?

-Doesn't Indonesia Aviation authority use any database by computerized for checking approvals, permissions, suspensions, restrictions?

-In European continent (at least I myself know that) flight plans approvals by Eurocontrol. Is there the samelike authority in Southeast Asia region? (as far as I remember Singapore based SITA does the same duty). So how they give the approvals for flight plan even include "suspended" air route. You know, all restrictions (unless urgents) publicates by Notams hours or days before. It is possible to passed all signs, restrictions, permissons etc in a flight?

I'm just curious, I'm not intend to start an arguments or I don't have a claim. Just I'm thinking about the news about Indonesia's transportation ministery said.

We will have to wait for the Indonesian Civil Aviation Authorities to inform us. Latest unconfirmed reports said that Indonesia AirAsia's AOC may be revoked if the investigations show that they did not comply with regulations. Lets see what the official investigation comes up with.. Too many rumours now!

AirAsia boss applies deft touch in crash response

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/airasia-boss-applies-deft-touch-crash-response-145615917--finance.html#tTKrsGO

..... experts say the Malaysia-based budget carrier's initial response to the tragedy is a textbook example of how to communicate in a crisis

..... AirAsia's handling of the disaster has drawn favorable comparisons with the bungled communications by Malaysia Airlines after Flight 370 disappeared March 8 ...... As a bureaucratic, state-owned company, Malaysia Airlines faced constraints that AirAsia didn't and which resulted in its often lumbering and scripted communications

I think the bit that clinched it would be the part where Tan Sri took it upon himself to take responsibility for the accident. Bear in mind though sceptics will probably enquire what form that 'responsibility' entails, but PR is all about spontaneity .......

AirAsia Surabaya-Singapore service given approval at Singapore end

Indonesia AirAsia's Surabaya-Singapore service has been given approval at Singapore's end to operate a daily flight for the Northern Winter Season from Oct 26, 2014 to Mar 28, 2015, said the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore and the Changi Airport Group in a joint statement.

Report: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/airasia-surabaya/1565758.html

Tan Sri took it upon himself to take responsibility for the accident. Bear in mind though sceptics will probably enquire what form that 'responsibility' entails, but PR is all about spontaneity .......

That would be the insurance company's nightmare!

I think that, so far, Indonesia AirAsia has done right as none of the victims' families complained about the treatment they had received.

It baffle me about the flight approval issue. However red tapes could be blamed. Many recent Indonesian Air Force intercepts of foreign aircraft in their airspace is related to red tapes late reply by the Indonesian Civil Aviation authorities.

Maybe for Indonesia flying a commercial plane is like operating a pirate taxi. Can anytime go.

BTW. Just curious, Why did the Russian came in & help? They didn't use any NTSB expert?

NTSB has no reason to come as there were no Americans onboard and the plane is not American made. French BEA will join the investigation as Airbus is French based. As for the Russians,the Indonesians actually have the Beriev Be-200 on order, so this is a good chance for them to see it in operation

It will be bad for Indonesian tourism industry if they suspend Indonesia AirAsia Surabaya-Singapore flight just because they go against the order not to fly on Sunday. What flying on Sunday or any other got to do with safety of the aircraft? Even Singapore CAA approved the flight.

A tweet somewhere mentioned that QZ8501 was struck by lightning which renders its electronics and FEDEC shut down as per highly suspected of AF's case.

A tweet somewhere mentioned that QZ8501 was struck by lightning which renders its electronics and FEDEC shut down as per highly suspected of AF's case.

I don't think an electrical fault will bring down an A320 so catastrophically.

It will be bad for Indonesian tourism industry if they suspend Indonesia AirAsia Surabaya-Singapore flight just because they go against the order not to fly on Sunday. What flying on Sunday or any other got to do with safety of the aircraft? Even Singapore CAA approved the flight.

It's not to do with safety on that particular day. It is to do with credibility of a company - it somehow gives people that the company is doing the dodgy stuff behind the scene.

It's like you are going to a swimming pool with a spa and sauna facility. You paid to enter the swimming pool but not entering the spa pool and sauna room next to it. Somehow you ended up soaking in the spa pool or sitting in the sauna room and only caught when the swimming pool staff checked your wrist band and found that you didn't pay to enjoy the facility and you are forced to leave.

Just because Singapore CAA approved it, it doesn't mean the Indonesian CAA has to approve it. Sure they lose a bit of tourists, but not enough to damage the tourism. There are many other means to get to Surabaya than flying with QZ. FYI, China Airlines (Taiwan) also flies between SIN and SUB.

Edited by S V Choong

I think it is more the inefficiency of the Indonesian bureaucracy more than anything else. Sometimes, flights are approved but the paperwork is yet to be updated.

CI is also not an airline with unblemished safety record. It has suffered air crashes before. One thing we know is that no airline is immune from safety issues. As long as we have human beings operating anything, we will have human error.

AirAsia boss applies deft touch in crash response

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/airasia-boss-applies-deft-touch-crash-response-145615917--finance.html#tTKrsGO

I think the bit that clinched it would be the part where Tan Sri took it upon himself to take responsibility for the accident. Bear in mind though sceptics will probably enquire what form that 'responsibility' entails, but PR is all about spontaneity .......

I am not that impressed. Any CEO would be stupid not to learn from MH370. Besides, right now I am totally confused about who is running the whole operation. There is so much misinformation in the news. They found the wreck, it was upside down on the sea bed, but no they haven't really found it yet. First 40 bodies recovered, then only 3, now it is thirty something, the plane was hit by lightning, etc. etc. So here, no one seems to have learnt from MH370.

I am not that impressed. Any CEO would be stupid not to learn from MH370. Besides, right now I am totally confused about who is running the whole operation. There is so much misinformation in the news. They found the wreck, it was upside down on the sea bed, but no they haven't really found it yet. First 40 bodies recovered, then only 3, now it is thirty something, the plane was hit by lightning, etc. etc. So here, no one seems to have learnt from MH370.

We need to filter fact from speculation.

Bodies recovered does not equate with bodies identified. Also be careful about the numbers they quote - whether it is the daily total or grand total count.

We need to filter fact from speculation.

Bodies recovered does not equate with bodies identified. Also be careful about the numbers they quote - whether it is the daily total or grand total count.

This is only what I see from CNN and BBC. Nowhere else. How can 2 of the more reputable news sources have so much misinformation? Almost makes me long for those days where the MH370 operations refused to give any info until "verified". :nea:

..... more reputable news sources have so much misinformation? .....

Yup, been reading about bad weather preventing discovery of the 'big' objects which are thought to be the major pieces of wreckage, and about how some victims have been found still strapped in

If the various claims that the flight was not authorised by the Indonesian DCA are true, because all the required approvals had not been given, does this make it an illegal flight? If so does this have implications for Indonesia AirAsia's insurance cover?

Something maybe the lawyers will be looking at.

Geoff