MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia X flies into greater turbulence

actually the troublewith AK X is that their fares are even higher than MH - I tried to book sin-mel return in mid feb and D7 quoted as S$1,100 ! whereas MH was only S$510 - and emirates fare was S$900. Same thing with sin-narita - it quoted at higher than MH for Jan 2015. Think D7 should be more realistioc and update its fares and compared it to MH or to even other legacy carriers like emirates or even qatar. Even if others are higher by between $200; its still better than D7 as the other airlines incl 30 kg check-in baggage and meals. D7 have to be careful not to over-priced itself due to its "success".

I think those who do not take advantage of D7's sales and promotions will seldom get good fares. It is essential to get on their mailing list so that you are always informed of their special offers. If we book tickets the traditional way, D7's fares are seldom bargains.

Right now, MAS is offering irrational competition as all it wants to do is fill the seats in their planes. Those pix on the internet showing empty cabins is really hurting them. MH have not announced their route rationalisation yet. Once that is done, you can expect MH's fares to rise. So book when you still can!

As for D7, their main problem is the Australian market as it was not able to absorb the huge capacity expansion by so many airlines at the same time. D7's other markets seem to be doing OK and are profitable. The reduction in oil prices will give them some respite. Coupled to the capacity cuts and new aircraft delivery deferrals, they should be doing better in the next few quarters.

D7's other markets seem to be doing OK and are profitable.

They were making huge losses on their North Asia flights too in the last quarter, just not as bad as their Australia flights.

yes TF is shooting his mouth off again - oh but remembered then he was the one who said that D7 should not fly so far and that a flying time of 7 hours would be the most it should fly to and that he did also say that its better to have the planes do a 7 hour flight so that it could be flown another 7 hours than for a plane to fly 14 hours and its not making efficient use of the plane. And now he is talking about flying to London by end next year (but D7 wont have any plane that can do a non-stop by then too), and Hawaii???

Think he should rein in his "loose" talk.

Let's be fair to the fella, he certainly would not have gotten as much done already if he had been otherwise :)

A thick face and persistent guts - traits I can only ever envy over :)

The other thing he said is "dare to dream". So maybe he is dreaming.... ;)

Airbus has delivered the first 242 tonne A330-300 to Delta. As D7 is not big on cargo to the UK, they may be able to get hold of one of these by the end of next year. It should be able to do KUL-LGW 5X weekly. Perhaps in 2016, they can get a second one and introduce KUL-ORY. Come summer of 2016, KUL-LGW might go daily to cater for the student rush.

Interesting - lets see what they come up with. It would be nice if D7 can operate some A350-900s earlier than the projected 2019 dates...

Looks like TF is dreaming. D7 CEO is more realistic:

On plans to re-introduce the Kuala Lumpur-London and Kuala Lumpur-Paris routes, Azran said the airline’s A330-300s would not be able to fly non-stop to the two destinations.

“We need to figure out the right way to fly passengers at attractive prices.”

Need to find a low cost airport to land on the way there... Kabul, Kandahar or Baghdad could be suitable stops ... 🙀

Need to find a low cost airport to land on the way there... Kabul, Kandahar or Baghdad could be suitable stops ...

They could try to restart Tehran.

Or maybe launch Istanbul?

It would be wise if they waited to see what MH does with their route rationalisation. If MH decides to cut one of its LHR frequencies, D7 should attempt to buy or lease that LHR slot from MH....

Having said that, LGW isn't such a bad airport as it has connections to LCCs and charter operators.

Contradict the boss in public is non team player, may not last long in the job.

Not the first time.

Airasia is pretty transparent - that is why managers are allowed to speak their minds.

My friend in Aus sent me this link too as I have a planned trip to Aus next year via D7. But when I saw this...

"AirAsia X has two to three direct flights to and from Kuala Lumpur each week."

Oh well, ain't D7 has daily flight to ADL?

A stopover is not viable unless there are 5th freedom rights. For me, I would pay more just to fly non-stop or have minimal stops. My time is precious.

Anyway, KUL-SYD goes to once daily as of Feb.

A stopover is not viable unless there are 5th freedom rights. For me, I would pay more just to fly non-stop or have minimal stops. My time is precious.

Anyway, KUL-SYD goes to once daily as of Feb.

I do not believe that D7 is actually considering one-stop flights to the EU. Operating economics will be higher as they will need to change crew at the stop.

I think all the frequency and route cuts will come after the Australian summer peak season.

Air Asia announced that they will be ceasing Adelaide on 26th January. Offering refund, credits or reroute from Melbourne.

Re-route to Melbourne? Then? They will give us onwards flight to Adelaide?

Sign in to follow this