MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia X flies into greater turbulence

It may be a good idea for MH to lease its LHR slot to D7 so that it can cut one of the two daily flights there without having to fully surrender the slot by selling it - like they did in the past with their third slot.

London is very well covered by ME3 and even AF-KL and LH (whenever they have promo). Rights issue may come sooner than later. Good luck to D7, and ikan bilis shareholders!

Edited by Isaac

Not sure how they could make LON works when they are not even profitable in Australia.

What can Boris Johnson do? London Mayor does not have authority over airport taxes or airline related incentives.

Potential London customers would be Malaysian students studying abroad, and western tourists who don't mind the narrow seats but love the cheap fare. When I flew D7 to LGW and from Orly the cabin was mostly filled with western tourists (Germans even), while there weren't many Malaysians onboard, unless you count Kamarudin Meranun and co. in Premium on the LGW flight xD

Potential London customers would be Malaysian students studying abroad, .....

That segment of the market is understandably very seasonal :)

I thought it was also pointed out that D7 doesn't have the right equipment to make LHR feasible now.

Understandably most foreign airlines to KUL are offering very very competitives fares. One just need to add a few hundreds RM and can upgrade from D7 to Qatar, KLM, Lufthansa, Turkish, Etihad, Vietnam, Royal Brunei, Garuda, Sri Lankan, Oman and the likes from KUL to LON.

Lufthansa is having a promo now. Just RM 2,500 all in return KUL-LHR (via FRA).

I think pax will only choose D7 if the fares is like RM 2,000 max all inclusive (baggage and meals). Can D7 make that happen and still be profitable?

The last time I took D7 from KUL-ORY, the all in charges came up to about RM 1,700 per pax return. My brother even managed to get the inaugural STN-KUL return at around £235 per pax.

Azizul, you are right - D7 will find it difficult to compete if their fares are above RM 2,000.

Edited by flee

One just need to add a few hundreds RM and can upgrade from D7 to ..... Royal Brunei .....

You mean you semenanjung people would fly all the way across the pond, endure transit time at BWN, overfly your originating place AND repeat all that in reverse order during journey home ? :blink:

Sorry, maybe wrong forum to ask that here :)

Definitely the wrong forum LOL.

1. AVgeeks prefer the longest detour to get from A to B (usually it's A, F, G, C, M, V, X, Z before finally B, instead of just A to B ).

2. Those who are on budget wouldn't mind a slight detour as long as the cost is within limit with comfortable airline.

Not only Royal Brunei. Since Garuda started LGW, I knew a lot of people who have been flying them KUL-CGK-AMS-LGW vv, which is also a "you semenanjung people would fly all the way across the pond, endure transit time at BWNCGK and AMS, overfly your originating place AND repeat all that in reverse order during journey home".

I think a lot depends on what you can do while in transit too.

I do not mind transiting in Changi as the time just flies - so many things to do while in transit.

SQ used to run competitive promo to Europe with MI doing the BKI - SIN run. Then Azizul also managed to help his friend to get KUL - CGK - AMS - LGW recently. LH's promo that ended yesterday was priced at RM2375 all in to a couple of European destination - AMS, FRA, ZRH etc. A round the year pricing from major ME airlines like EY, EK is around 2.6k. For me it is right if LCC cost 1/2 the price of FSC. That would be well worth it. Otherwise stick to FSC for better "care".

I thought it was also pointed out that D7 doesn't have the right equipment to make LHR feasible now.

I remember it as having equipment that burnt a lot of expensive fuel

This issue now largely negated I guess, seeing how the barrel prices have tumbled recently

The other (declared) issues were weak demand from Europe and the carbon tax - the former maybe improving, the latter has been suspended I understand

Btw, how likely is it for D7 to operate from LHR instead of the 'lesser' airports of London ?

I think a lot depends on what you can do while in transit too.

Bingo !! :)

Which is why BWN is such an 'interesting' case study :D

Edited by BC Tam

For all dates from 18 Jan 2015 onwards, Adelaide KL return is AUD1,560. I hope this doesn't mean that this route will be cancelled from 18 Jan. I think the price is to stop people from booking.

For all dates from 18 Jan 2015 onwards, Adelaide KL return is AUD1,560. I hope this doesn't mean that this route will be cancelled from 18 Jan. I think the price is to stop people from booking.

This was what d7 did before they suspend flight to London and Paris.

Yikes, I've got bookings in April! Hoping that they will just reduce frequencies and not cancel the route.

On airasia x? I thought they axed that flight long ago...

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

On airasia x? I thought they axed that flight long ago...

ADL-KUL? I took that flight April this year, on Monday. plenty of empty seats.

AirAsia booking engine shows KUL-SYD is down to one daily from Feb 15 onwards. KUL-MEL still has 12 weekly. KUL-OOL has 5x weekly

I guess MEL is the star performer in Australia, however this may be due to the much larger inflow of Malaysia-Australia traffic more favoured into MEL. MH looks like its holdings it ground for now with x3 daily KUL-MEL services.

Just checked their Adelaide schedule. Looks like they will progressively reduce frequency to 2-3 flights per week late next year. Also some flights will be overnight from Adelaide. Hope this means they are not cancelling the route.

Looks like London maybe back on and Hawaii could happen

http://www.ausbt.com.au/airasia-x-to-restart-kuala-lumpur-london-flights

AirAsia X To Re-open KL-London Flights By End-2015
SEREMBAN, Dec 1 (Bernama) -- Long-haul budget airline, AirAsia X, will re-open its Kuala Lumpur-London flights by end-2015, said AirAsia Group chief executive officer, Tan Sri Tony Fernandes.
He said discussions with the Mayor of London Boris Johnson and Airbus were progressing well.
On March 2012, the low-cost airline company stopped the Kuala Lumpur-London route due to high taxes in Europe.
Fernandes tweeted last Wednesday that the route was the most-wanted one for AirAsia X.
"We have good discussions with Johnson on the kind of support that we needed. We have discussed with Airbus to accelerate the aircraft that we want because we need a slightly heavier aircraft to carry a bit more fuel and I hope we will get that next year," he said.

We have discussed with Airbus to accelerate the aircraft that we want because we need a slightly heavier aircraft to carry a bit more fuel and I hope we will get that next year,

I wonder what aircraft they are planning to use for this?

This route has the A350-900 written all over it. Will Airbus be able to allocate one or two of the ex-EK delivery slots to D7?

Sign in to follow this