MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mike P

AirAsia On Board WiFi

WiFi on-board is dead in the water? It's been almost 1/2 year now and I have yet to come across any AK flight that has this offer, same goes to OD.

Perhaps AK can emulate EK in offering free wifi for first 10MB, then another 600MB for just $1. Of course, EK subsidize the cost. I tried it once on EK, great for online messaging. I posted my inflight meal via Whatsapp message to my family while in flight!

Last year QR wanted USD11.95 for an hour or USD 21.95 for duration of flight (something like 7-8 hours)

Someone should tell the bean counters that scrooges like yours truly are not likely to spend money as freely as that. Heck, it's bordering on how TM is extorting us at home ! :D

But before any of these can happen I think there should be some equipment need to be installed on the plane before the service is available?

Just got off 9M-AJC last night with the wifi service. It's RM5 (promo price from RM8) but can only be used for IM apps after reaching 10000ft. Quota is 3MB,after that speed will be reduced but u can still send messages. I didn't see many taking the offer though. Nor did I see the crew promoting it a lot. I guess maybe coz it was a short flight.

Last year QR wanted USD11.95 for an hour or USD 21.95 for duration of flight (something like 7-8 hours)

Someone should tell the bean counters that scrooges like yours truly are not likely to spend money as freely as that. Heck, it's bordering on how TM is extorting us at home ! :D

$21.95 for the whole flight is approximately $2.80 per hour. Cyber cafe rates!

WiFi on-board is dead in the water? It's been almost 1/2 year now and I have yet to come across any AK flight that has this offer, same goes to OD.

On AHR yesterday morning, have WIFI .

$21.95 for the whole flight is approximately $2.80 per hour. Cyber cafe rates!

I think it's worth it. Not for work and stuff - but my dad is really happy when I buzz him from the sky. He tracks all my flights and worries a lot so that purchase price is worth it for that alone :)

AA's rates are extremely cheap, but the connection can be quite annoying.

Can't believe in 2015 we still haven't fully adopt inflight WIFI. Its the best IFE, IMO. Had enjoyed it immensely when SQ had offered it many, MANY years ago!

AA's rates are extremely cheap, but the connection can be quite annoying.

Well yeah, I think most travelers opt for Gogo's monthly pass of ~$50 a month, but AA's wifi has been a little slow recently.

AirAsia X selects Inmarsat for A330 IFEC

AirAsia X has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to equip its Airbus A330s and A320s with Inmarsat’s GX Aviation connectivity.
Under the MOU, which was announced April 4 at the Aircraft Interiors Expo (AIX) in Hamburg, AirAsia X plans to connect its long-haul fleet and ultimately upgrade its short-haul fleet to GX Aviation too.
The carrier currently has no fixed inflight entertainment and connectivity (IFEC) system on its 30 long-haul A330s. Instead, AirAsia X passengers are able to access the group’s ROKKI entertainment platform through offline tablets that can be rented from the airline.
Conversely, on short-haul routes, Air Asia has already rolled out Inmarsat SwiftBroadband connectivity on more than 40 of its A320s. Passengers can access ROKKI content and connectivity via their own devices.
“Our A330s have no existing equipment on board, so once we have the supplemental type certification [for GX Aviation]—which I’m told we will get in October or November—we want to roll it out quickly because we are behind the curve,” AirAsia X CEO Benyamin Ismail said, speaking in Hamburg. “We plan go full-fleet [with GX Aviation] in stages.”
More:

http://atwonline.com/ife/aix-2017-airasia-x-selects-inmarsat-a330-ifec

Was flying to HKG on 9M-AHJ last month and decided to try their Rokki Wi-Fi. Took quite awhile to get to the payment page. Took the 3MB package for RM9, tried to surf the web but awefully slow. Not sure if messenger package means no web surfing. Tried very hard to get some connection. In the end only used up 1MB before preparing for landing.

Like DiGi these days. :(

Was flying to HKG on 9M-AHJ last month and decided to try their Rokki Wi-Fi. Took quite awhile to get to the payment page. Took the 3MB package for RM9, tried to surf the web but awefully slow. Not sure if messenger package means no web surfing. Tried very hard to get some connection. In the end only used up 1MB before preparing for landing.

Like DiGi these days. :(

QR is offering free 10Mb data, download speed was quite fast. Recommend to turn off auto video download else 10Mb could be consumed in 15 minutes.

Sign in to follow this