MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
xtemujin

MAS B772 9M-MRD (Ex Heliconia) Flight MH17 AMS-KUL Shot Down by Russian Missile in Ukraine All 298 POB Killed

I'm really sad about heard that. I read the news when I was job but I didn't have check the all news just only check out on tablet pc. Now I'm at home and reading all news.

I'm deeply sorry about your loss. My condolences to all friends, fellows and families of victims.

A truly sad day. Unfortunately this is not the first time a civil airliner has been mistakenly or deliberately shot down claiming hundreds of innocent lives.

This tragedy could even have fatal consequences for Malaysia Airlines given its current financial situation. Pan Am's loss at Lockerbie certainly contributed to it going bankrupt two years after the event.

Geoff

The most probable culprit at the moment, a pro-Russia (or Russian-backed) Ukrainian separatist.

skan_separatysta600.jpeg

This is the deleted announcement about 'a success of an airstrike to (what they thought) a Ukrainian military transporter plane' currently trending worldwide.

Hoping to see the passengers manifest soon. What confirmed so far is:

154 Dutch

27 Australian

23 + 15 Malaysian

11 Indonesian

6 British

4 German

4 Belgian

3 Filipino

1 Canadian

Official press conference at 4 am.

Singapore Airlines SQ351 (B777) and Air India AI113 (B787) were about 25 km from #MH17 when it disappeared. pic.twitter.com/BVDMlqGOjG

MH 17 - Ukraine 17 July 2014

EUROCONTROL has been informed that MH 17 en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur has crashed in the eastern part of Ukraine.

Our thoughts are with the families and friends of those on board.

According to our information, the aircraft was flying at Flight Level 330 (approximately 10,000 metres/33,000 feet) when it disappeared from the radar. This route had been closed by the Ukrainian authorities from ground to flight level 320 but was open at the level at which the aircraft was flying.

Since the crash, the Ukrainian authorities have informed EUROCONTROL of the closure of routes from the ground to unlimited in Eastern Ukraine (Dnipropetrovsk Flight Information Region). All flight plans that are filed using these routes are now being rejected by EUROCONTROL. The routes will remain closed until further notice.

The European Aviation Crisis Coordination Cell is being activated to coordinate the response to the impact of the airspace closure.

MH 17 - Ukraine | Eurocontrol

Edited by xtemujin

Woke up praying hard the news wasnt true. This is indeed a tragedy and it seems like we are now involved in a world conflict.

Sad, shock, numb. Another major aviation disaster for MAS. Another B777 lost in the fleet. In less than a 6 months gap.

RIP to all those souls on board... Our prayers for all of you. JuliusWong's post #42 sure makes it an eery reading.

WASHINGTON : If a Malaysian airliner was shot down over Ukraine on Thursday as alleged by Kiev, military analysts say a medium-range missile was the most likely culprit.

Experts say a surface-to-air missile with a mid-range would be well able to strike a plane that was reportedly flying at an altitude of more than 30,000 feet (10 kilometers).

Both Russian and Ukrainian forces have variants of the Buk, a surface-to-air missile system – including SA-11 and SA-17 missiles – that can hit targets at an altitude of up to 25 kilometers.

Under NATO’s terminology, the Buk missile is referred to as the “Gadfly.”

Shoulder-launched weapons have been blamed for the downing of several Ukrainian aircraft in recent days, but those attacks occurred at much lower altitudes, analysts said.

“A short-range, shoulder-launched weapon has been responsible for several aircraft lost in the last few days. . . but it wouldn’t be able to reach an altitude of 30-odd thousand feet,” said Edward Hunt, senior defense analyst at IHS Jane’s consultancy.

“It would have to be a missile of a certain capability,” Hunt told AFP.

article-2696161-1FBAAB9000000578-205_964

A very very dark episode indeed for both Malaysia and MAS. What a catastropic human error ! Prayers and condolences to the families' members of both crew and passengers.

article-2696161-1FBB383700000578-27_964x

article-2696161-1FBA71F800000578-469_964

Edited by Cire

A very tragic tragic episode for the nation and MAS. A double whammy that I believe have had not happen before to an individual airline within this short span of incidences.

The world must elect to do something about the ground conflicts happening here and there, and not choose to let it play out by itself where innocent lives are cancelled off in such a tragic manner. It goes to show how errorneous human can be, and that there is no guarantee that such incidences would not happen again if conflicts are left to its own to resolve.

So sad for the passengers, crews and kins..

I just watched the news, the separatist thought it was a Russian airplane, as Azizul posted.

It was reported there were bodies everywhere. What a sad sight :cray:

A very tragic tragic episode for the nation and MAS. A double whammy that I believe have had not happen before to an individual airline within this short span of incidences.

The world must elect to do something about the ground conflicts happening here and there, and not choose to let it play out by itself where innocent lives are cancelled off in such a tragic manner. It goes to show how errorneous human can be, and that there is no guarantee that such incidences would not happen again if conflicts are left to its own to resolve.

So sad for the passengers, crews and kins..

Well technically it has happened before for American Airlines (the 9/11 attacks & AA587).

If it's true that Russian separatist is to blame (and considering that the equipment was supplied by Russia), are we severing relations with Russia or at least closing down our embassy for a period of time?

If this was shot down - this is murder, and whoever it is just declared war on my country.

RIP

I'll also go on record as saying this : if this was an act of aggression (and not MH incompetence)- I am not opposed to my tax payer money being used to help out MH (within limits)

Ok not a formal declaration of war per se, just a euphemism - just in case some people take it literally.

With us operating various russian military hardware, at the back of my head, i do wish the russians didnt have a hand in this. If they did i cant imagine what our next course of action would be.

So used to watching the aircrash investigation on planes being accidentally shot in the sky and never once had i imagined that our flag carrier would end up being one of them. Still shaken and numb over what happened.

The country may want to observe a couple of days of mourning for the loss of the plane, its crew and passengers. So sad, There are photos in the internet showing bodies shrewn all around a wide area, and worse still belongings looked rummaged over by the people on sight. Hardly any recovery of bodies were carried out as at press time. KLIA would be another sad sad place to be at the moment.

While we mourning for this loss, we must also not forget the ever threatening situation over our east Malaysia waters, and also our infamous home grown terrorist.

Human error have no limitation nor its evil deed have any boundary. So, lets' be on guard., Malaysia.

What im worried about is any tampering of evidence by the seperatist or whoever responsible since its deep in a conflict zone and what looks like the public could just stroll around the area.