MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
xtemujin

MAS B772 9M-MRD (Ex Heliconia) Flight MH17 AMS-KUL Shot Down by Russian Missile in Ukraine All 298 POB Killed

This is not an ordinary plane crash though it seems to be a surface air missile has shot the plane down, argument is still raising everyone's eyebrow. With the crash site at the remote area of Ukraine and the scene was already ransacked by locals and rebels, evidence would have already been tampered. A more prominent challenge is also the investigators would also face the restriction of access to the crash site by the rebels.

And now there was also report from a pro Russian Separatist leader claiming the passengers may have already been dead before the plane was crashed as the dead bodies weren't fresh and it seemed they have died for hours before falling onto the ground would create another bigger mystery again.

Oh dear, this is indeed frustrating and befuddling.

Our SMART rescue team had arrived in Kiev safely. The issue now is if they rebels will allow them in. They had basically sealed off the whole area from any rescue or investigation agencies from entering. To add to the insult, the black box was sent to Russia.

The whole MH17 make Russia looks very very bad.

In my personal capacity, I have never trust and will never trust Russia and USA...........My dealing with them was: "You better listen to what I say now, if not I will bomb you kao kao. If you survived, I will make sure my FSB/CIA people makes you disappear from surface of the Earth."

Is it worth it, Mr Putin just to gain some extra land? You will not stop at any cost? Bombed Chechnya, Crimea....now this.

Is it really worth the 298 lives of innocent, including young children, babies?

Earlier in June, BFM 98.9 interviewed the Russian Ambassador to Malaysia during the high Ukraine-Russia conflict over Crimea, made me want to puke and spit at the lady on her face (if chivalry is dead)

Today's Russia-Ukraine conflict can be blamed on Stalin's migration policy.

Edited by KK Lee

This is not an ordinary plane crash though it seems to be a surface air missile has shot the plane down, argument is still raising everyone's eyebrow. With the crash site at the remote area of Ukraine and the scene was already ransacked by locals and rebels, evidence would have already been tampered. A more prominent challenge is also the investigators would also face the restriction of access to the crash site by the rebels.

And now there was also report from a pro Russian Separatist leader claiming the passengers may have already been dead before the plane was crashed as the dead bodies weren't fresh and it seemed they have died for hours before falling onto the ground would create another bigger mystery again.

Oh dear, this is indeed frustrating and befuddling.

Take announcements from Ukranian, Russian or the separatists with a barrel of salt.

Anyways look at the number of airlines plying the exact same route in the week before the accident - MAS is in good company with KLM, Emirates & Etihad among others. It just sickens me to see people keep harping about this when they had the benefit of hindsight!

14708740673_61e6a3b92f_o.jpg

List of Airlines Flying Through Donetsk by S Fariz, on Flickr - Infographics from spiegel.de

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

If Russia is to salvage some "face" from this fracas, it should pour in all assistance needed to help in the salvage OR telling off all its pro-Russian rebels to back out from that site and let the international community in to do the recovery works. Its sickening still that Al-Jeera journalist reported that bodies strewn everywhere were exposed and not covered still. Some news reported about looting by locals and armed men.

The locals too were traumatised by this experience of body and parts dropping down into their kitchen, garden and farm. For the kins of the passengers, such scenes is too much to bear and what they hope for is for authority to quickly retrieve the bodies and put them in proper mortuary so that forensic identification can be done and bodies flown back to their hometown soon.
The longer the bodies are left in the field , the more traumatised would be the kins knowing that their loved ones are somewhere still left exposed to the nature etc. Dignity must be duly given.

Malaysia must pressure not only Ukraine or the UN, but also request Russia to help out in this recovery. Question is, are we persistence enough in our demand? Or wait and see as usual?

If Russia is to salvage some "face" from this fracas, it should pour in all assistance needed to help in the salvage OR telling off all its pro-Russian rebels to back out from that site and let the international community in to do the recovery works. Its sickening still that Al-Jeera journalist reported that bodies strewn everywhere were exposed and not covered still. Some news reported about looting by locals and armed men.

The locals too were traumatised by this experience of body and parts dropping down into their kitchen, garden and farm. For the kins of the passengers, such scenes is too much to bear and what they hope for is for authority to quickly retrieve the bodies and put them in proper mortuary so that forensic identification can be done and bodies flown back to their hometown soon.

The longer the bodies are left in the field , the more traumatised would be the kins knowing that their loved ones are somewhere still left exposed to the nature etc. Dignity must be duly given.

Malaysia must pressure not only Ukraine or the UN, but also request Russia to help out in this recovery. Question is, are we persistence enough in our demand? Or wait and see as usual?

Totally agreed with you! I think the family members and friends doesnt care who is responsible for what but to retrieve victims body and have them sent back to their homeland. Hope they rest in peace! And good luck to our rescue team out there.

Nationality: Total

Netherlands: 192 (including 1 dual Netherlands/USA citizen)

Malaysia: 44 (including 15 crew & 2 infants)

Australia: 27

Indonesia: 12 (including 1 infant)

United Kingdom: 10 (including 1 dual UK/S. Africa citizen)

Germany: 4

Belgium: 4

Philippines: 3

Canada: 1

New Zealand: 1

Total: 298

May all those departed be rest in peace. Prayers for families members and friends.
Edited by JuliusWong

Eurocontrol: State decides on airspace safety
By Helen Seeney | 18 July 2014 Friday

The downing of a plane over eastern Ukraine has raised questions as to why a civilian airline was flying over the conflict zone. Ken Thomas of air safety organization Eurocontrol says it's up to states to close airspace.

DW: The crash of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine has raised many questions about why the airline was flying over a conflict zone airspace. Who decides whether or not airspace is safe?

Ken Thomas: The deciding body whether an airspace is safe or not belongs to the state - through their air navigation service provider and their civil aviation authorities. It's actually the state that owns the airspace to decide whether the airspace is open for civilian traffic, or if it's not safe they will close it for civilian air traffic.

In this case, Ukraine deemed this airspace to be safe for civilian aircraft?

They deemed this to be safe above 32,000 feet (9,750 meters). Below 32,000 feet, this particular airspace in eastern Ukraine where the crash occurred had been closed by the Ukrainian authorities.

This plane was allegedly flying at 33,000 feet. Details about the crash are still unclear but are you surprised that a plane flying at that level can apparently be shot down by a missile?

I'm surprised unless it is a very sophisticated missile system.

Do pilots also have the authority to determine which route they are going to fly?

Yes, the pilot actually has the final authority to decide whether or not to fly in an airspace that is open. If the airspace is closed, he may not fly there. And we will actually check that and stop his flight plan if he - by mistake - flies through a closed airspace.

Quite a few airlines that fly between Europe and Asia had already decided not to fly over Ukraine. Is it also a question of cost for some airlines? If you are going to reroute a plane, that does mean an increase in fuel and flight time, doesn't it?

Well, of course, when you make the risk assessment, you need to take all factors into account. Fuel would be one factor of many other factors. We expect that roughly a quarter of the airlines previously flying over that airspace above 32,000 feet were not flying there - but 75 percent were still using it.

Is your organization making any recommendations in the aftermath of this crash?

We are a technical and operational organization, so we now concentrate on the situation where a larger part of Ukrainian airspace, or a larger part then before - the east, not only the southeastern part - where we have airspace closure. And in order to accommodate flights to fly around these areas in the best possible way for them, but we are also looking at what is the impact on the neighboring air traffic control centers so that they do not get more traffic than they can safely handle.

Ken Thomas is Head of Network Operations Management Coordination with Eurocontrol, an organization involved with air safety.

http://www.dw.de/eurocontrol-state-decides-on-airspace-safety/a-17794595

Edited by xtemujin

The dutch passengers are the top in the list, wonder what action would they take?

yeah i wondered as well..., Are they sending their team to the crash site as well?

The dutch passengers are the top in the list, wonder what action would they take?

Dutch political action is likely will be taken by EU

Anyways look at the number of airlines plying the exact same route in the week before the accident - MAS is in good company with KLM, Emirates & Etihad among others. It just sickens me to see people keep harping about this when they had the benefit of hindsight!

List of Airlines Flying Through Donetsk by S Fariz, on Flickr - Infographics from spiegel.de

Either MAS was unlucky jinx or others were lucky? Understand BA and AF avoided the above airspace.

Edited by KK Lee

An ultimatum must be declared now to the rebels. Either there back down or face the world's fury that will definitely wipe them out once and for all. Russia in this case should not interfere if there are not helping the world to clam down on these rebels. And of course, the leader of the rebels must be hauled up for justice for either direct or indirect involvement in the shooting down of MH17.

Watching the Youtube video on Astro Awani now. So graceful...

My senior sat in 11A with her sister 11C...the boy was probably in the bassinet...her ipad was found by the people there are they made contact with her family...Hishammudin even posted the incident on his Facebook...

face the world's fury that will definitely wipe them out once and for all. .

Bit off more they can chew here. A bit silly. Cause if somebody decides to wipe the floor with them...they get no sympathy from anyone. Now let's see if taiko Russia will make dono and leave them out to dry or not.

Silly. They turned a domestic fight which they MAY have had some support for the cause into a worldwide one with no support except for taiko.

Silly. They turned a domestic fight which they MAY have had some support for the cause into a worldwide one with no support except for taiko.

Sad, but a true reflection on stark reality :(

Today I had the chance to meet some of the family members of those on board #MH17.

This is Leftenant Commander Lee Vee Weng, an officer in the Royal Malaysian Navy. His wife, only son and sister in law were on board #MH17 which took off from Amsterdam's Schiphol airport shortly after noon on Thursday and was supposed to land in Kuala Lumpur at about 6:10am local time on Friday. His wife was a lecturer in UMS and was in Europe to present a paper at the University of Antwerp. She brought her sister to help take care of Leftenant Commander Lee's 1 year old son while she attended the conference.

At the crash site, someone found his wife's iPad and tried to establish contact with her family members. As her Facebook was not signed out on the iPad, the individual managed to connect the iPad to a Wi-Fi network and message Leftenant Commander Lee's sister in law in Malaysia who happened to be online at the time through her Facebook account. However, the messages were in Russian.

We have requested the Military Attache from the Ukrainian Embassy in Kuala Lumpur to get in touch with the individual possessing the iPad.

It is important that an independent investigation is conducted into this tragic incident. We also depend on sustained pressure from the international community on this, and as you know, I have been on the phone with Britain's Foreign Secretary Phil Hammond and US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel to seek their support. If it's anything like the cooperation we received during MH370, then I am hopeful.

My immediate priority is for the 30-member Special Malaysian Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team (SMART) to be be granted access to the crash site.

#MH17 has deeply shocked all Malaysians from all walks of life, still grappling with the trauma of the disappearance of #MH370 just a few months ago. We will do everything to ensure that the perpetrators will be brought to face justice for this inhumane crime.

Leftenant Commander Lee Vee Weng and Hishamudin.

1044693_10152385313229355_75546808386096

https://www.facebook.com/HishammuddinH2O

Edited by xtemujin

Really nice of the person who found the iPad to try to establish contact! I hope the Donetsk militias won't block attempts to retrieve it, or lots of ppl are gonna be doubly pissed.

On the side note;

What social science said about six degree of separation is proven again; 2 of our forumers are connected.

Apple iPad built quality is unexpectedly strong.

On the side note;

What social science said about six degree of separation is proven again; 2 of our forumers are connected.

Apple iPad built quality is unexpectedly strong.

pardon me...but who are?

Today I had the chance to meet some of the family members of those on board #MH17.

This is Leftenant Commander Lee Vee Weng, an officer in the Royal Malaysian Navy. His wife, only son and sister in law were on board #MH17 which took off from Amsterdam's Schiphol airport shortly after noon on Thursday and was supposed to land in Kuala Lumpur at about 6:10am local time on Friday. His wife was a lecturer in UMS and was in Europe to present a paper at the University of Antwerp. She brought her sister to help take care of Leftenant Commander Lee's 1 year old son while she attended the conference.

At the crash site, someone found his wife's iPad and tried to establish contact with her family members. As her Facebook was not signed out on the iPad, the individual managed to connect the iPad to a Wi-Fi network and message Leftenant Commander Lee's sister in law in Malaysia who happened to be online at the time through her Facebook account. However, the messages were in Russian.

We have requested the Military Attache from the Ukrainian Embassy in Kuala Lumpur to get in touch with the individual possessing the iPad.

It is important that an independent investigation is conducted into this tragic incident. We also depend on sustained pressure from the international community on this, and as you know, I have been on the phone with Britain's Foreign Secretary Phil Hammond and US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel to seek their support. If it's anything like the cooperation we received during MH370, then I am hopeful.

My immediate priority is for the 30-member Special Malaysian Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team (SMART) to be be granted access to the crash site.

#MH17 has deeply shocked all Malaysians from all walks of life, still grappling with the trauma of the disappearance of #MH370 just a few months ago. We will do everything to ensure that the perpetrators will be brought to face justice for this inhumane crime.

Leftenant Commander Lee Vee Weng and Hishamudin.

1044693_10152385313229355_75546808386096

https://www.facebook.com/HishammuddinH2O

I can only imagine his pain and anguish...they met at utm...and stayed loyally to each other for all these years...now she's gone...with their only child...I still cant find the words to comfort him...I wish I could say something profound...but im just so speechless...😭