MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
DavidC

Skytrax Awards 2014

Air Asia and Air Asia X bag first and second placing respectively for the Best Low Cost Carriers Worldwide & Asia; Air Asia X comes in second for Australia/Pacific. Unfortunately, Malaysia Airlines is nowhere to be seen where even Garuda made it to the top listing. So sad. What will be come of MH?

Yes, passengers do pay attention to the Skytrax awards even though some industry people do not. I think that the airlines do as well, since there is plenty of constructive feedback from passengers in their airline reviews.

Yes, passengers do pay attention to the Skytrax awards even though some industry people do not. I think that the airlines do as well, since there is plenty of constructive feedback from passengers in their airline reviews.

Their entire methodology was debunked in a paper some time ago. Can't find the link - but it is essentially related to how much you're willing to pay them. Their review process is shambolic - don't believe me? try writing a scathing negative review of CX (their new airline of the year) now and see if it gets "added" to the list of reviews or not.

Don't get me wrong - CX is a great airline, i love them to bits, but the methodology behind skytrax is flawed, disingenuous and downright biased and therefore, worthless to the real traveller.

Yes, many are aware of the "money buys awards" thing. I am sure that we can say the same thing about reports by industry analysts and research companies.

While it is flawed, it is still a reasonable guide to airlines. Just look at MH - it used to win lots of Skytrax awards and now it no longer features in it. This sort of relects the problems it is currently facing, doesn't it? Perhaps it will win some awards again after it has sorted itself out.

Here the top 20 rankings;

1 Cathay Pacific Airways

2 Qatar Airways

3 Singapore Airlines

4 Emirates

5 Turkish Airlines

6 ANA All Nippon Airways

7 Garuda Indonesia

8 Asiana Airlines

9 Etihad Airways

10 Lufthansa

11 Qantas

12 EVA Air

13 Swiss

14 Thai Airways

15 Virgin Australia

16 Air New Zealand

17 British Airways

18 Malaysia Airlines

19 Hainan Airlines

20 Bangkok Airways

Just look at MH - it used to win lots of Skytrax awards and now it no longer features in it. This sort of relects the problems it is currently facing, doesn't it? Perhaps it will win some awards again after IF it has sorted itself out.

:)

I only had one bad, but countless great trips with MH. The only review I've written on airlinequality is for Tiger Airways.

Virgin Australia only offers a free drink for an hour trip. At least MH gave you peanuts and if you were lucky, an IFE, but VA is positioned higher than MH.

I am actually not quite convinced that some airlines pay monies to receive Skytrax recognitions, especially after seeing these photos:

1551609_10152595253797387_58217372265963

10551128_10152595253807387_2744411656795

10486771_10152595254032387_6656163117962

For an airline with a cost discipline like AK, there is no way they would splurge any cash for the 5 awards they received this year. This is free marketing to them.

But some probably do (pay monies to get Skytrax recognitions). My suspect would be QR, GA and SV (which get a 4 star rating at this award). It could be done selectively.

As Suzanne G. gets the price for most realism, post #5, MAR gets the price for ultimate sarcasm. Post # 11.

Or did I read his post in an entirely wrong context? Could be, in that case I get my coat and hat and leave quietly.

And @ flee, The moment MAS has a proper marketing budget again, you will see them climbing the Skytrax ladder forthwith..

Cheers

Art

MH's long standing signature award - the world's best cabin crew - is now belongs to Garuda.

10464165_667718993342826_729796785294433

And AK is Malaysia's de facto national airline - sounds very Anwar Ibrahim. http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/sideviews/article/airasia-is-our-de-facto-national-airline-omg

I am actually not quite convinced that some airlines pay monies to receive Skytrax recognitions, especially after seeing these photos:

For an airline with a cost discipline like AK, there is no way they would splurge any cash for the 5 awards they received this year. This is free marketing to them.

But some probably do (pay monies to get Skytrax recognitions). My suspect would be QR, GA and SV (which get a 4 star rating at this award). It could be done selectively.

The two awards for Airasia X, “World’s Best Low-Cost Airline – Premium Class Seat” and the “World’s Best Low-Cost Airline – Premium Cabin”, appears to be tailor made for them! ;)

To be honest, Ga deserves the World Best Cabin Crew Award, as with Asiana previously, as they really improved tremendously over the past few years. I mean GA. MH might want to consider hiring the current CEO of GA for turnaround.

World Best Airlines by Skytrax list has come out. Malaysia Airlines slipped 10 step down to 34th from 24th while Airasia still hold the trophy as World Best Low Cost Airline.

Skytrax is all about money money money...We should take the ranking with pinch of salt. Peach Air, Starflyer and Vanilla Air are vert good LCC they should deserve best low cost no doubt, too bad they do not have reach as in AirAsia, not many get to experience their top notch japanese hospitality.

Having been on various LCCs around the world, can't deny AirAsia is by far the best.

Curious to try the ones in Japan as you've mentioned.

Skytrax is all about money money money...

Yep. Maybe they can fool the public. Real frequent flyers never use it as a benchmark. Period.

I've had dealings with them.. and let's just say "cukuplah... sekali" to quote the old Jay Jay song.

Sign in to follow this