MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Airbus A330 Neo - AirAsia X Orders 50 A330-900neo at Farnborough Air Show 2014

Not to some people, clearly. If visitors from neighbouring countries don't count as tourists, then countries like the US have failed spectacularly on the tourism front. Just look at the number of Canadian/Mexican travellers they get each year!

I personally think arbitrarily citing statistics without any real analysis (or logic) is more "syok sendiri" than engaging in a proper debate.

Thailand have over 680,000 hotel rooms with occupancy rate of about 68% and average stay of about 7 days.

Malaysia have about 260,000 hotel rooms.

Guess who is syok sendiri.

1.Bali is popular whether you like it or not. So many shortcomings but still popular even among the elites. Period.

2. Cambodia and Laos. Purely western tourist and some Chinese. I wonder if the number of arrival in Malaysia is skewed mainly because majority are from Singapore and Jakarta? The Brits will always speak well of Malaysia since it’s commonwealth.

3. Yes you can get a bargain fare to KCH if you book early but if you notice the pax profile they’re 99% Malaysian. If the budget is the same going to say Krabi and KCH, which one will you choose?

4. Phuket has rainy season but always crowded as if it doesn’t bother them.

5. BKK is also good bargain. And it caters to different categories of tourist.

6. Sabah is successful in drawing tourist from China and Korea.

7. SIN is a mega transit hub in Asia. The airport itself is already a destination.

8. Perhentian is nice but getting there is a hassle. I for one prefer direct routing.

Sometimes I wonder what we’re well known of. If we’re shopping haven, so are our neighbours. Food? It’s subjective. Twin tower is just a building.

1) I didn't say Bali is unpopular, what I said was Bali is not more interesting than Malaysia. As popular as Bali is, their tourism numbers are decreasing too. Their numbers are down to 2.29MM from 2.35MM for Jan-May period (with fewer tourists from Australia, China, and India). As interesting as Bali is, I'd never want a Bali/Phuket in Malaysia.

2) I am pretty sure other tourists visit Cambodia and Laos in addition to Western tourists. If you look at Tourism Cambodia's website, you'd see a huge decline in "western tourist" numbers when comparing 2018 to 2017. Europe dropped 5.8%, Americas (both north and south) dropped 6.5% whilst visitors from AU and NZ dropped 11.4% and 18.1% respectively.

3) You can spend a week at either KBV or KCH but they are both very different. There is almost no beach to speak of close to KCH but KBV is almost all beach/islands. I paid RM120 for a MH flight, bought 2 days before departure including bags. I'd like to think that's extremely reasonable :)

5) If you look at hotels in BKK and the strong THB, it's much less of a bargain now. Back when RM1~10THB, it was great. Now that RM1 ~7.30THB, not so much.

We are known for our natural attractions (national parks, beach, caves). Now if people will just stop cutting down trees, that'll be great :)

I’m interested to know the percentage of Singaporean, Indon and mainland Chinese out of that 25.8m. If they consist more than 70%, I don’t think the tourism board is doing enough to attract others.

Malaysia Tourism Board stats for Jan-Jun 2019. And why are you excluding China? They aren't our neighbors :). ID, SG, TG, and BN (for Jan-Jun 2019) makes up around 66% of our visitor arrivals, but that's relatively common for most countries.

Thanks for the info. Some people are still in denial and think they’re doing ok. There’re at least 10 European carriers operate into SIN/BKK/HKG. Vietnam and surrounding countries like Cambodia and Laos are also booming which some refuse to acknowledge. Or Malaysia is happy with hosting Middle East and neighbouring countries only in fear of unhealthy culture being brought in by westerner? Just wondering.

So you reckon Malaysian and Singaporean made up half of Thailand’s tourist arrival? Even if it does, good on them coz half of that figure is still much higher than our half and hence more revenue for them.

Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam aren't booming (in regards to European visitors). See above for Cambodia visitor arrivals :) SIN and HKG are financial/corporate hubs with strong outbound market. BKK has a strong inbound market.

I can agree that tourism is stagnating in Malaysia - the growth rate has actually fallen into negative territory.

There is more to do to help it - unfortunately as Suhaimi says, our tourism minister is a moron.

And the news that comes out from Malaysia is rubbish -bomohs looking for MH370, how to identify gays, sodomy 3, ketuanan melayu, anti-shiah, anti Jew (when in fact it should be just anti Zionist regime) etc etc. The current government is just as bad as the old one - this current one is just purely because of incompetence, whereas the old one was more malignant.

As one of the Malaysian diaspora in the U.K., I do my bit all the time but I am ashamed reading the news that appears almost on a weekly basis. Its like the media has made malaysia a laughing stock of the world and take great pleasure in writing up this crap.

I feel like the Tourism Minister position is like a consolation prize. I don't think I've ever seen a competent Tourism Minister, both past and present. Marketing isn't great and Malaysia as a country to calm down on the anti-LGBT and anti-Semitism - there are way more important issues to focus on (or rather these issues are brought up to coverup other incompetencies).

Malaysia news rarely make it to BBC/Guardian etc. The last big one was probably the missing, now dead, Irish girl. And it's always the case for any foreign media to portray negative image of other countries to make their own country looks good in respect to others. But don't worry, we have US and UK who pretty much takes the spot for incompetent government for now :)

Nice one Craig... I completely agree with your comments. We know that the tourism ministry is getting less allocation compared to other ministries, which is a shame considering tourism is number 3 in terms of income for Malaysia.

There were a few officers from tourism Malaysia who have been arrested for corruption, and I think the previous tourism minister has been taken to task for using the allocated money for her own benefit.

And Indonesia takes the news top spot today for outlawing sex outside marriage.

And just to add to my comments before, the government or political party should know or at least realize that most gay travelers have a lot of disposable income (gay couples are mostly DINKs - dual income, no kids), so if they don't want their pink dollars, countries like Thailand are more than happy to accept them.

A large proportion of tourists arrivals to mys are from Singapore and Brunei.

One just need to look at number of hotel rooms availability and occupancy rate could judge the actual tourists arrivals.

You do know that in order for Malaysia to count it as a visitor, that said visitor needs to spend at least 1 night in Malaysia (that's how Malaysia count visitor numbers)?

Guys, can we get back to the main topic and leave all these tourism numbers whatever not to another thread? Please feel free to open a new thread.

Back to the topic, it would be interesting to see how AirAsia Group deploys their A321neoXLR. Almost certainly Malaysia and Thailand will get most of them. India might get them too since the collapse of Jet Airways, it leaves a lot of vacuum to be filled. Currently Air Vistara, IndiGo and Spicejet are unable to stack up their capacity fast enough to cover the capacity shortfall. Indonesia might get a few too for their Australia and NZ operation.

Edited by JuliusWong

And Indonesia takes the news top spot today for outlawing sex outside marriage.

And just to add to my comments before, the government or political party should know or at least realize that most gay travelers have a lot of disposable income (gay couples are mostly DINKs - dual income, no kids), so if they don't want their pink dollars, countries like Thailand are more than happy to accept them.

You do know that in order for Malaysia to count it as a visitor, that said visitor needs to spend at least 1 night in Malaysia (that's how Malaysia count visitor numbers)?

Visitors stay for 1 or 6 nights are still counted but which is more relevant? Edited by KK Lee

You can argue all you like till the cows come home but the fact is if you stay one night, you're a visitor. Period.

Yes. Have the quantity but not the quality.

Yes. Have the quantity but not the quality.

If more nights = higher quality tourists then we should be attracting more begpackers to max out their 90-day social visit passes.

anyway, i think the important thing is not how many tourist we received annually, but is how much a tourist spends daily average. And as a stakeholde rin tourism, airliners (includes AK and AAX) should work hand in hand with tourism board to promote malaysia (yeah, we all know what AK and AAX up to when they working with tourism board).

So how does it feel taking the third spot? Proud?

Of course not. But I don't see your contribution to making things number one now do you?

That's the problem with a lot of Malaysians today. Too much criticizing, not enough contributing. Too much condemning, not enough commending.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Of course not. But I don't see your contribution to making things number one now do you?

That's the problem with a lot of Malaysians today. Too much criticizing, not enough contributing. Too much condemning, not enough commending.

Over the last 20+ years showed, no matter how much one like to syok sendiri, jaguh kampung mentality is a failure.

In the current interruption economy and flat world, critical thinking is essential to survival.

Believe most if not all forumers here are patriotic and wanted to see the success of country aviation industry. Not that forumers not contributing but labeled as criticizing, condemnation and what not.

Not that proven, feasible and sustainable business model is not available but jaguh kampung choose to reinvent the wheel in different shapes. What more can we say?

Edited by KK Lee

Over the last 20+ years showed, no matter how much one like to syok sendiri, jaguh kampung mentality is a failure.

In the current interruption economy and flat world, critical thinking is essential to survival.

Believe most if not all forumers here are patriotic and wanted to see the success of country aviation industry. Not that forumers not contributing but labeled as criticizing, condemnation and what not.

Not that proven, feasible and sustainable business model is not available but jaguh kampung choose to reinvent the wheel in different shapes. What more can we say?

This is the problem with Malaysians, being too exam oriented and always want to be No. 1 in class. If you are No.2 or beyond, one is considered a Jaguh Kampung.

Critical Thinking? I hope one day you get attached to any local aviation industry at the forefront and see for yourself. Then you may want to rethink this remark.

Edited by Pall

Airbus Weighs A330 Output Cut After Largest Buyer Seeks Deferral

Airbus SE is considering a cut in production of its A330neo jet after the biggest customer for the wide-body said a coronavirus-driven slump in travel had forced it to defer deliveries, according to people familiar with the matter.

The European planemaker is reviewing its production plans and may make a decision as soon as this month, the people said, asking not to be identified because the deliberations are private. In a filing last month, AirAsia X, the long haul unit of Malaysian low-cost carrier Air Asia Group, which represents about one-fourth of outstanding orders for the model, said it would postpone deliveries of its new A330neos.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-04/airbus-weighs-a330-output-cut-after-largest-buyer-seeks-deferral

Coronavirus, politics and trade compound problems for Airbus A330neo

* Production reduced in January for upgraded A330 -sources

* Sources say Airbus trying to tie sales to deals for A321XLR

* Doubts hang over dozens of sales in Airbus order backlog

* Airbus gambles on Hainan bailout with 40-jet deal

Read full report here: https://www.reuters.com/article/airbus-a330neo/rpt-coronavirus-politics-and-trade-compound-problems-for-airbus-a330neo-idUSL8N2AZ1EZ

A330neo approved with intermediate take-off weight hike

Airbus appears to have secured regulatory approval for an intermediate maximum take-off weight increase on the A330-900.

The European Union Aviation Safety Agency has listed two weight variants of a 245t version – designated WV910 and WV911 – on the aircraft’s type certificate.

https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transport/a330neo-approved-with-intermediate-take-off-weight-hike/138596.article

MSN 1966 spotted in TLS - this was originally allocated to Airasia X

49970605042_efbd389382_b.jpg

F-WWCX Airbus A330 Neo Air Asia by @Eurospot 10.000.000 views, on Flickr

MSN 1971 was another A330-900 due to go to Airasia X this year but it appears that this will not be taken up - however, there are rumours that it may go to Thai Airasia X.

50040751606_b5aaf85b6b_b.jpg

F-WWYA Airbus A330 Neo Air Asia by @Eurospot 10.000.000 views, on Flickr

Edited by flee