MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Airbus A330 Neo - AirAsia X Orders 50 A330-900neo at Farnborough Air Show 2014

Sometimes i wonder why MH is still operating this once a week service.Loads have never been good on this sector.

maybe the business is good for the belly?

AirAsia Xs continued losses cast shadow on business model https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/airasia-xs-continued-losses-cast-shadow-business-model

Maybe time to shift them over to Thailand.

The three biggest advantages Thailand have over us are:

1. Massive population

2. Massive tourism, not just from China and Middle East but all over the world. Scandinavia, US, Europe and even Russia.

3. Massive tourist spots all over Thailand. There are at least 10. KL lacks identity and cultural experience.

The three biggest advantages Thailand have over us are:

1. Massive population

2. Massive tourism, not just from China and Middle East but all over the world. Scandinavia, US, Europe and even Russia.

3. Massive tourist spots all over Thailand. There are at least 10. KL lacks identity and cultural experience.

2) That's because of Thailand's image as an exotic and cheap destination (Indonesia and Malaysia is way cheaper than Thailand due to the baht's appreciation). But Thailand also attract a lot of other tourists (esp. sex tourists) to their country.

3) Malaysia has plenty of tourist spots (and more authentic than Thailand). Sabah and Sarawak have plenty of (gorgeous) national parks that are world famous, along with Terengganu/Sabah Islands (I'd prefer Perhentians don't be the next Bali or Phuket), Penang, and Langkawi etc. IMO, Malaysia beaches are way nicer than those in Thailand (the only exception is that Malaysian beach resorts cost an arm and a leg for average facilities). Thailand on the other hand have bigger islands and able to offer better infrastructure on their islands.

Do we really want to have abused elephants so tourists can ride on them or caged tigers so visitors can see them?

2) That's because of Thailand's image as an exotic and cheap destination (Indonesia and Malaysia is way cheaper than Thailand due to the baht's appreciation). But Thailand also attract a lot of other tourists (esp. sex tourists) to their country.

3) Malaysia has plenty of tourist spots (and more authentic than Thailand). Sabah and Sarawak have plenty of (gorgeous) national parks that are world famous, along with Terengganu/Sabah Islands (I'd prefer Perhentians don't be the next Bali or Phuket), Penang, and Langkawi etc. IMO, Malaysia beaches are way nicer than those in Thailand (the only exception is that Malaysian beach resorts cost an arm and a leg for average facilities). Thailand on the other hand have bigger islands and able to offer better infrastructure on their islands.

Do we really want to have abused elephants so tourists can ride on them or caged tigers so visitors can see them?

The facts remain Malaysia has fewer tourists and not many will revisit again. Why?

The facts remain Malaysia has fewer tourists and not many will revisit again. Why?

Fewer tourists for sure but I need you to cite where you found that there aren't a lot of repeat tourists to Malaysia.

You don’t need to abuse elephant. No matter how blessed we’re to have unspoiled beaches etc, if there’s no marketing and promotion it’s not gonna work. We also lack business traveller, unlike Singapore and Bangkok.

2. Way cheaper doesn’t mean interesting. Heck, even Bali is a better choice than us. Sex tourist is nothing to be proud of but there’re more backpackers in Thailand, Cambodia and even Laos.

3. Sabah & Sarawak. Bad location, way too far. Even catching a domestic flight from KUL costs more than some intl flights. There’re some direct flights from BKI but only limited to China and Korea. Insignificant amount of flight to Japan and Australia. Terengganu? Seasonal destination and too restrictive? Langkawi? Nothing special really.

I once saw a tourist asks another tourist how he feels about KL and he said so-so.

Fewer tourists for sure but I need you to cite where you found that there aren't a lot of repeat tourists to Malaysia.

Just ask tourists.

Well, Ive met many people here (granted its anecdotal evidence) but many people love KL and Malaysia. Im sure they would return (I know many who have already done so).

There is a popular restaurant here called chilli padi and the whole of Newcastle raves about it. Always packed.

Malaysia needs proper promotion - there is none at the moment that I can see. Has to be the same as it was in the 80s and 90s. Without aggressive promotion, we will lose our.

Malaysia needs proper promotion - there is none at the moment that I can see. Has to be the same as it was in the 80s and 90s. Without aggressive promotion, we will lose our.

The Malaysian diaspora certainly can help in this case - but in the last few years many have done more damage by disparaging the country in a fit of political spite because they don't know the difference between country & government.

When you have thousands saying they're ashamed to be Malaysian even the best promos will fall by the wayside. And it's not going to improve, given how stupid the current Minister of Tourism is (Tourism minister says there aren't any gay people in Malaysia)

You don’t need to abuse elephant. No matter how blessed we’re to have unspoiled beaches etc, if there’s no marketing and promotion it’s not gonna work. We also lack business traveller, unlike Singapore and Bangkok.

2. Way cheaper doesn’t mean interesting. Heck, even Bali is a better choice than us. Sex tourist is nothing to be proud of but there’re more backpackers in Thailand, Cambodia and even Laos.

3. Sabah & Sarawak. Bad location, way too far. Even catching a domestic flight from KUL costs more than some intl flights. There’re some direct flights from BKI but only limited to China and Korea. Insignificant amount of flight to Japan and Australia. Terengganu? Seasonal destination and too restrictive? Langkawi? Nothing special really.

I once saw a tourist asks another tourist how he feels about KL and he said so-so.

Agree on marketing for Malaysia. But Thailand also has this image where tourists are almost free to do whatever (at least in the tourist’s mind) - sex, drugs, alcohol, and also petting tigers and riding elephants.

I wouldn’t say Bali is more interesting than the whole of Malaysia (I assume you refer Malaysia on the whole as “us”). Not even close. Traffic is awful and the island is run by taxi mafias (which does not exist in Malaysia AFAIK). And are you sure there are more backpackers in Laos than in Malaysia (again they cater to a lot of backpackers who want go tubing down a river whilst drunk)? Cambodia well they have a huge temple complex that’s world famous so that’s a bit different (but in terms of tourist arrivals, Cambodia received 6.2MM tourists in 2018 whilst Malaysia received 25.8MM tourists).

3. Kuching is just a mere 1.5 hours flight from KL. About the same as BKK to HKT. You can get one for around RM70-80 if you book far in advance (like 1+ month). Aren’t most tourist destinations in Southeast Asia seasonal? Phuket is low season now. Bangkok is low season after Songkran till around October. Bali’s low season is between November and February. And Terengganu might be restrictive. Perhentian is not.

Langkawi is cool. Not the best beaches around but there are things to do. The Skybridge is cool, so are the mangroves. If it’s nothing special, there wouldn’t be so many Europeans spending their honeymoon, holiday, or living there :)

KL is meh to some and lovely to some. It really depends on what the person is looking for. SG for example is extremely boring and sterile to me but some of my friends absolutely love it. Sure KL is not as insta friendly as say SG with the skyline and MBS pool but the rooftop bars in KL are really nice. Batu Caves is a major insta spot tho.

My European friends love KL. They think they get a good bargain for their money. Great food, amazing hotels at a fraction that of SG and even BKK. Where else can you stay at a MO, St. Regis, Four Seasons etc. for less than $200 USD a night? But KL is just a city after all. The main attractions of Malaysia IMO are in Sabah and Sarawak.

I still have no idea what Visit Malaysia 2020 is for. It’s not like tourists will see that and go “oh maybe we need to visit Malaysia next year”.

Agree on marketing for Malaysia. But Thailand also has this image where tourists are almost free to do whatever (at least in the tourist’s mind) - sex, drugs, alcohol, and also petting tigers and riding elephants.

I wouldn’t say Bali is more interesting than the whole of Malaysia (I assume you refer Malaysia on the whole as “us”). Not even close. Traffic is awful and the island is run by taxi mafias (which does not exist in Malaysia AFAIK). And are you sure there are more backpackers in Laos than in Malaysia (again they cater to a lot of backpackers who want go tubing down a river whilst drunk)? Cambodia well they have a huge temple complex that’s world famous so that’s a bit different (but in terms of tourist arrivals, Cambodia received 6.2MM tourists in 2018 whilst Malaysia received 25.8MM tourists).

3. Kuching is just a mere 1.5 hours flight from KL. About the same as BKK to HKT. You can get one for around RM70-80 if you book far in advance (like 1+ month). Aren’t most tourist destinations in Southeast Asia seasonal? Phuket is low season now. Bangkok is low season after Songkran till around October. Bali’s low season is between November and February. And Terengganu might be restrictive. Perhentian is not.

Langkawi is cool. Not the best beaches around but there are things to do. The Skybridge is cool, so are the mangroves. If it’s nothing special, there wouldn’t be so many Europeans spending their honeymoon, holiday, or living there :)

KL is meh to some and lovely to some. It really depends on what the person is looking for. SG for example is extremely boring and sterile to me but some of my friends absolutely love it. Sure KL is not as insta friendly as say SG with the skyline and MBS pool but the rooftop bars in KL are really nice. Batu Caves is a major insta spot tho.

My European friends love KL. They think they get a good bargain for their money. Great food, amazing hotels at a fraction that of SG and even BKK. Where else can you stay at a MO, St. Regis, Four Seasons etc. for less than $200 USD a night? But KL is just a city after all. The main attractions of Malaysia IMO are in Sabah and Sarawak.

I still have no idea what Visit Malaysia 2020 is for. It’s not like tourists will see that and go “oh maybe we need to visit Malaysia next year”.

1.Bali is popular whether you like it or not. So many shortcomings but still popular even among the elites. Period.

2. Cambodia and Laos. Purely western tourist and some Chinese. I wonder if the number of arrival in Malaysia is skewed mainly because majority are from Singapore and Jakarta? The Brits will always speak well of Malaysia since it’s commonwealth.

3. Yes you can get a bargain fare to KCH if you book early but if you notice the pax profile they’re 99% Malaysian. If the budget is the same going to say Krabi and KCH, which one will you choose?

4. Phuket has rainy season but always crowded as if it doesn’t bother them.

5. BKK is also good bargain. And it caters to different categories of tourist.

6. Sabah is successful in drawing tourist from China and Korea.

7. SIN is a mega transit hub in Asia. The airport itself is already a destination.

8. Perhentian is nice but getting there is a hassle. I for one prefer direct routing.

Sometimes I wonder what we’re well known of. If we’re shopping haven, so are our neighbours. Food? It’s subjective. Twin tower is just a building.

just found this in google

International-Tourist-Arrivals-2018.jpeg

the link

for some traveler wont bother much with the direct flight or no, like 3 years ago, when i still work in travel agency, there is few inbound tour agent who only focus on Russian market, almost everyday they got pickup guest at the airport.

of course, there is unlikely tourist from China or Korea as we see always arrival in group. these Russian group mostly come in family or couples, normally via KUL, ICN as i notice. same goes to Japan tourist, there's certain amount of tourist from Japan, either direct flight from Narita or via KUL.
and side note, never fetch Russian traveller, or else you will welly baked in the car. as they will request you to turn of the air conditioning, and wind down the windows and enjoy the warm air (for them) under the 12pm sun for an hour. for my case is from KKIA to Rasa Ria. :search:

*sorry for being off topic from the A330Neo orders. :friends:

for some traveler wont bother much with the direct flight or no, like 3 years ago, when i still work in travel agency, there is few inbound tour agent who only focus on Russian market, almost everyday they got pickup guest at the airport.

of course, there is unlikely tourist from China or Korea as we see always arrival in group. these Russian group mostly come in family or couples, normally via KUL, ICN as i notice. same goes to Japan tourist, there's certain amount of tourist from Japan, either direct flight from Narita or via KUL.

and side note, never fetch Russian traveller, or else you will welly baked in the car. as they will request you to turn of the air conditioning, and wind down the windows and enjoy the warm air (for them) under the 12pm sun for an hour. for my case is from KKIA to Rasa Ria. :search:

*sorry for being off topic from the A330Neo orders. :friends:

Really? I thought 16-30 C is already warm for them...though for me at least that is A/C temperature setting in our house.

A321XLR should enable AK to go for thinner Russian Far East market at Vladivostok and Khabarovsk...(trying to get us on-topic again)...

International-Tourist-Arrivals-2018.jpeg

Off topic, seems to me Malaysia is doing well on the tourism front. So this answers the question to those who say otherwise. The numbers have spoken.

Off topic, seems to me Malaysia is doing well on the tourism front. So this answers the question to those who say otherwise. The numbers have spoken.

I’m interested to know the percentage of Singaporean, Indon and mainland Chinese out of that 25.8m. If they consist more than 70%, I don’t think the tourism board is doing enough to attract others.

Nice figures. Alas, the devil is in the details.

Out of the 25 million, on average 10 to 11 million per annum are made up of Singaporeans.

Visitor numbers from Thailand also seem pretty high in the millions, but a huge part of that number come from our land border crossings in the north.

To a lesser extent, the same can be said for visitor numbers from Indonesia and Brunei in the east.

When you take away these figures, the number of tourists who will come specifically to Malaysia for a holiday is way less than the 25 million figure. Malaysia's actual inbound tourist figures are probably closer to that of the Philippines.

Arrivals from mainland China may look high, but they are appallingly low in comparison with other Southeast countries. A significant chunk of them come to Malaysia only as a tag-on from their trips to Singapore or Thailand. That explains the low presence of Chinese carriers in Malaysia.

And it's not just the Chinese. Intra Asian travel has boomed big time in recent years with rising prosperity all over. Koreans, Indians, Japanese, Thais, us Malaysians, Singaporeans, Hongkongers and Taiwanese are all big outbound tourist contributors within Asia. Malaysia unfortunately, doesn't rank high on many people's wish list. And this from people within our region who know of our existence. Australians - and they are a travel-happy bunch - couldn't care less. Forget Europe or America.

That explains the relative low presence of foreign carriers in Malaysia. That explains our low hotel yields.

So no, tourism is not doing well in Malaysia. Get real.

Out of the 25 million, on average 10 to 11 million per annum are made up of Singaporeans.

Visitor numbers from Thailand also seem pretty high in the millions, but a huge part of that number come from our land border crossings in the north.

To a lesser extent, the same can be said for visitor numbers from Indonesia and Brunei in the east.

When you take away these figures, the number of tourists who will come specifically to Malaysia for a holiday is way less than the 25 million figure. Malaysia's actual inbound tourist figures are probably closer to that of the Philippines.

Arrivals from mainland China may look high, but they are appallingly low in comparison with other Southeast countries. A significant chunk of them come to Malaysia only as a tag-on from their trips to Singapore or Thailand. That explains the low presence of Chinese carriers in Malaysia.

And it's not just the Chinese. Intra Asian travel has boomed big time in recent years with rising prosperity all over. Koreans, Indians, Japanese, Thais, us Malaysians, Singaporeans, Hongkongers and Taiwanese are all big outbound tourist contributors within Asia. Malaysia unfortunately, doesn't rank high on many people's wish list. And this from people within our region who know of our existence. Australians - and they are a travel-happy bunch - couldn't care less. Forget Europe or America.

That explains the relative low presence of foreign carriers in Malaysia. That explains our low hotel yields.

Isn't it obvious fact that neighbouring countries often make up the largest chunk of visitors to any country in the world?

Thanks for the info. Some people are still in denial and think they’re doing ok. There’re at least 10 European carriers operate into SIN/BKK/HKG. Vietnam and surrounding countries like Cambodia and Laos are also booming which some refuse to acknowledge. Or Malaysia is happy with hosting Middle East and neighbouring countries only in fear of unhealthy culture being brought in by westerner? Just wondering.

Isn't it obvious fact that neighbouring countries often make up the largest chunk of visitors to any country in the world?

So you reckon Malaysian and Singaporean made up half of Thailand’s tourist arrival? Even if it does, good on them coz half of that figure is still much higher than our half and hence more revenue for them.

You cant pick and choose which countries you want to count as tourists. There is a definition - I think it is if you stay overnight in Malaysia.

So in Europe where countries are all bordering each other, you are going to discount the tourists that travel by road from eg France to Germany? Thats just ridiculous.

You cant have two rules. And you cant justify fact on false information.

I can agree that tourism is stagnating in Malaysia - the growth rate has actually fallen into negative territory.

There is more to do to help it - unfortunately as Suhaimi says, our tourism minister is a moron.

And the news that comes out from Malaysia is rubbish -bomohs looking for MH370, how to identify gays, sodomy 3, ketuanan melayu, anti-shiah, anti Jew (when in fact it should be just anti Zionist regime) etc etc. The current government is just as bad as the old one - this current one is just purely because of incompetence, whereas the old one was more malignant.

As one of the Malaysian diaspora in the U.K., I do my bit all the time but I am ashamed reading the news that appears almost on a weekly basis. Its like the media has made malaysia a laughing stock of the world and take great pleasure in writing up this crap.

Edited by Izanee

A large proportion of tourists arrivals to mys are from Singapore and Brunei.

One just need to look at number of hotel rooms availability and occupancy rate could judge the actual tourists arrivals.

A lot of statistics in this country are syok sendiri.

Not to some people, clearly. If visitors from neighbouring countries don't count as tourists, then countries like the US have failed spectacularly on the tourism front. Just look at the number of Canadian/Mexican travellers they get each year!

A large proportion of tourists arrivals to mys are from Singapore and Brunei.

One just need to look at number of hotel rooms availability and occupancy rate could judge the actual tourists arrivals.

A lot of statistics in this country are syok sendiri.

I personally think arbitrarily citing statistics without any real analysis (or logic) is more "syok sendiri" than engaging in a proper debate.