MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Airbus A330 Neo - AirAsia X Orders 50 A330-900neo at Farnborough Air Show 2014

No more head rest in economy ..

I wonder if this is the Mirus seat. Lets hope that it is at least as comfortable as the old seat for 14 hour trips.

These first two Thai Airasia X aircraft are ex-WoW NTAs. I think they are leasing them from Avalon and are not part of the original order for 66 by Malaysia Airasia X. Perhaps they want to boast that they are Asian launch customers. If they did not take these, Lion Air and Garuda will be ahead of them!

What about basing them in KUL, their supposed fly to connect hub or whatever its called? Oh well. Money talks and bull walks

What about basing them in KUL, their supposed fly to connect hub or whatever its called? Oh well. Money talks and bull walks

D7 are waiting for the 251t MTOW version to ensure that their planes can fly to London. Besides, D7 has not really maxed out utilisation of their fleet - they have taken on two more leased A330-300s this year already. D7 should be receiving their first A330-900s around the second half of 2020.

AirAsia close to adjusting Airbus order plans: sources

PARIS/SINGAPORE (Reuters) - AirAsia Group Bhd (AIRA.KL) will announce on Friday an adjustment to its large Airbus SE (AIR.PA) order plans, confirming at least part of its order for A330neos while making room for the A321XLR, two people familiar with the matter said.
Airbus has been in talks for months to sell the latest addition to its narrowbody fleet, the long-range A321XLR, to its largest Asian customer in a move widely expected to lead to a restructuring of AirAsia’s order for larger A330neo jets.
AirAsia’s long-haul arm AirAsia X Bhd (AIRX.KL) last year placed an order for 34 A330neos but it was never finalised in the Airbus order book.
The Malaysian carrier later raised the prospect of switching some of the widebodies to narrowbody models better suited for smaller markets before finalizing the order.
AirAsia X has 66 A330s on firm order with Airbus, according to the manufacturer’s order book, with none of them delivered yet.
Full report:

The 34 unconfirmed order is now revised to 12 A330neo plus 30 A321XLR!

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 30 (Reuters) - Malaysia's flagship budget airline AirAsia Group Bhd AIRA.KL on Friday cut its plans for Airbus SE AIR.PA A330neo orders by nearly two-thirds to 12, as it firmed up an order, but said it would also order 30 of the new long-range A321XLR narrowbodies.
The airline's long-haul arm AirAsia X Bhd AIRX.KL announced 34 orders for A330neo widebodies at the Farnborough Airshow in 2018. Airbus said at the time these were firm orders but the deal was thrown into doubt as AirAsia sought to rejig its fleet requirements.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airbus-airasia/malaysias-airasia-cuts-airbus-a330neo-order-plans-but-adds-a321xlr-idUSKCN1VK0UB?il=0

The 34 unconfirmed order is now revised to 12 A330neo plus 30 A321XLR!

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 30 (Reuters) - Malaysia's flagship budget airline AirAsia Group Bhd AIRA.KL on Friday cut its plans for Airbus SE AIR.PA A330neo orders by nearly two-thirds to 12, as it firmed up an order, but said it would also order 30 of the new long-range A321XLR narrowbodies.

The airline's long-haul arm AirAsia X Bhd AIRX.KL announced 34 orders for A330neo widebodies at the Farnborough Airshow in 2018. Airbus said at the time these were firm orders but the deal was thrown into doubt as AirAsia sought to rejig its fleet requirements.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airbus-airasia/malaysias-airasia-cuts-airbus-a330neo-order-plans-but-adds-a321xlr-idUSKCN1VK0UB?il=0

D7 need to operate a321xlr to optimize yield else is difficult to make profit consistently.

You guys are tickling my funny bone haha.

But back to the AAX a321XLR - i forsee this will go to the chinese cities first for AAX, while the a330Neo will be slotted for the europe expansion out of Bangkok for TAAX.

Maybe even for FUK.

Also the a321XLR could mean the return of KTM. Maybe.

The only question is when the smaller jets be EIS for AAX.

My dream of seeing an X on a smaller jet is coming true.

So much for Uncle Tonys promise of a proper hub in KUL. I was hoping for more European flights from KUL which is sorely lacking in connections to Europe.

So much for Uncle Tonys promise of a proper hub in KUL. I was hoping for more European flights from KUL which is sorely lacking in connections to Europe.

Klia2 is not a good hub for D7. A lot of issues with MAHB unresolved.

DMK is better and more profitable for them - so I think more investment will go to DMK. XJ might grow bigger than D7 and if u want European connections, u have to get fly thru DMK.

Definitely going to see IAAX comeback with A321XLR to major North Asia, Australian cities and NZ via DPS/LOP/CGK. BKI will also be hub for D7 A321XLR covering North Asia and PER.

D7 need to operate Cessna 172s. Less seats, more profit.

For reasons, enthusiastic and business are often incompatible.

Edited by KK Lee

I wonder what cabin configuration will be installed in the A321XLR - will it be single class or will there be some lie flat seats? Somehow, I think that 2-2 recliners are sufficient as these flights should max out at around 7-8 hours. Or they could just settle with 32" seat pitch seats in a single class.. A321 seats should be a little wider than the A339 seats.

Somehow, I think that 2-2 recliners are sufficient...

Premium Recliner...doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it?

...as these flights should max out at around 7-8 hours.

Just like most of D7's existing routes, you mean? Don't see those routes getting recliners.

Or they could just settle with 32" seat pitch seats in a single class

And make everyone pay FSC prices?

I wonder what cabin configuration will be installed in the A321XLR - will it be single class or will there be some lie flat seats? Somehow, I think that 2-2 recliners are sufficient as these flights should max out at around 7-8 hours. Or they could just settle with 32" seat pitch seats in a single class.. A321 seats should be a little wider than the A339 seats.

We may just see something like Scoot's business class introduced for the a321XLRs.

Unless they will still use the same J seats as the a330s.

We may just see something like Scoot's business class introduced for the a321XLRs.

Unless they will still use the same J seats as the a330s.

From what I can gather these A321 Neo XLRs will not be fitted with any external ACTs. So it should only be good for 5-7 (max range) hour flights, i.e. the Asian/Australian network flights. Flights of this duration may not require lie flat seats.

From what I can gather these A321 Neo XLRs will not be fitted with any external ACTs. So it should only be good for 5-7 (max range) hour flights, i.e. the Asian/Australian network flights. Flights of this duration may not require lie flat seats.

Whether lie flat seats are fitted or not largely depending on market positioning and ticket pricing.

Whether lie flat seats are fitted or not largely depending on market positioning and ticket pricing.

Airasia X are ordering the A321 Neo XLR for a number of reasons:

• Adjust capacity during seasonal demand periods
  • Open new routes where demand does not justifying deploying the A330
  • Lower CASK on routes where it competes with narrow body airlines like Malindo
  • Offer more frequency to popular destinations

We will have to wait and see whether they will choose to configure the A321s for product consistency with the A330 or whether they wish to create a different market proposition for its narrow body operations.

Edited by flee

Definitely going to see IAAX comeback with A321XLR to major North Asia, Australian cities and NZ via DPS/LOP/CGK. BKI will also be hub for D7 A321XLR covering North Asia and PER.

then MH121/0 will in trouble soon

Sometimes i wonder why MH is still operating this once a week service.Loads have never been good on this sector.

Sometimes i wonder why MH is still operating this once a week service.Loads have never been good on this sector.

Probably yield is very good! :D

Yes, I think part of the reason why D7 ordered narrow bodies is to counter the competition from the narrow body regional flights operated by MH and OD.