MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Airbus A330 Neo - AirAsia X Orders 50 A330-900neo at Farnborough Air Show 2014

ANALYSIS: A330-900 finally embarks on flight-test programme

Airbus's maiden flight of the A330neo is something of an improbable achievement, considering that the airframer originally scrapped its strategy of re-engining the A330 after it failed to gain traction as a Boeing 787 rival.

See:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/analysis-a330-900-finally-embarks-on-flight-test-pr-442438/

Airbus pitches higher-weight A330neo at transpacific sector

Airbus is expecting that a planned higher-weight version of the A330neo will provide a 650nm range hike compared with the current 242t variant.
It is putting the range of the A330-900, with a 251t maximum take-off weight, at 7,200nm while that for the A330-800 will increase to 8,150nm.
The airframer, which had previously indicated that it was pursuing a 251t option, believes it can keep the A330neo's empty weight and maximum zero-fuel weight unchanged.
Speaking during an event in Toulouse, A330 head of marketing Crawford Hamilton said the aircraft – set to enter service in 2020 – would need "minor" local reinforcement on the wing and fuselage.
The main and nose landing-gear would also need reinforcement, and would feature new tyres and brakes.
But he says these modifications will be offset by "compensation" through weight savings. "We know exactly where we can trim," says Hamilton, adding that the efficiency of the aircraft would be "uncompromised".
Airbus lists the maximum zero-fuel weights for the 242t A330-900 and -800 as 177t and 172t respectively.
Hamilton says the range increase will position the A330neo as a "true transpacific aircraft". He points out that, for the -900, the 251t version will offer a 1,450nm range increase over typical A330s currently in service.
More here:

Airbus to trim A330 output but seeks higher A320 rates

Airbus is to trim total A330 deliveries to around 50 next year, after a review of the twinjet programme.
This would effectively reduce monthly production to around four or five aircraft compared with the current rate of six.

I think they don't like the A350 because they cannot derive a seating advantage over FSCs like they can with the A330. This is because the A350 fuselage is wide enough for FSCs to use slightly narrower seats but not really wide enough for LCC's to fit 10 abreast seating.

I think they don't like the A350 because they cannot derive a seating advantage over FSCs like they can with the A330. This is because the A350 fuselage is wide enough for FSCs to use slightly narrower seats but not really wide enough for LCC's to fit 10 abreast seating.

How is CASK on 9 abreast A330 vs 9 abreast A350?

Edited by KK Lee

I assumed this is why they checked out a few B777-300ER earlier?

So AK or D7 have cancelled all their A350 orders?

The B77W was worth considering because the lease rates were going down as the aircraft is reaching EOL.

D7's ten A350 order is still on the books - I think they have a great deal of flexibility on these. I would have thought the A350 would be great for US routes, when they decide to launch those.

Air Caraibes fit 10 seat abreast on their A350. What makes it different from D7 LCC configurations?

Air Caraibes fit 10 seat abreast on their A350. What makes it different from D7 LCC configurations?

I know - but the seats may be even tighter. Really need to sit in their cabin to have a proper assessment.

I know - but the seats may be even tighter. Really need to sit in their cabin to have a proper assessment.

What does this have to do with 10-abreast being legal on the A350? If it fits and is legal, then it is good enough for an LCC.

People who are after bargain-basement tickets do not make decisions based on comfort assessments.

What does this have to do with 10-abreast being legal on the A350? If it fits and is legal, then it is good enough for an LCC.

People who are after bargain-basement tickets do not make decisions based on comfort assessments.

Yes, but seating arrangements also determine how low these fares can go. D7 is not convinced by the A359's economics.... yet! Maybe they are waiting for new refinements to help improve the economics.

The fact that Boeing is able to make some headway with them suggests that they will be able to do some deal with them on better economics. So this A339 order is for Airbus to lose if they don't wish to meet D7's demands. D7 now has a bargaining chip that is pretty strong!

Yes. Cancelled on the A350. I read in the news somewhere.

is the 251t A339neo able to fly to london non stop without weight restriction? tony says so.

Yeap. The initial a339neos were at 242t now with the 251t offerred by airbus D7 can fly to Europe without cutting back seats and cargo load.

More airlines ordered a350 than a330 neo for reasons e.g 767 neo re-engined Camry could be cheaper to operate and fly further than 767 classic but unlikely against 787 all new Camry.

Edited by KK Lee

More airlines ordered a350 than a330 neo for reasons e.g 767 neo re-engined Camry could be cheaper to operate and fly further than 767 classic but unlikely against 787 all new Camry.

Yes, but it is not just about the aircraft type. There are other associated costs like the airlines' invested infrastructure, its network of routes, its passenger traffic patterns, its maintenance network and cost structure, aircraft financing and leasing facilities, etc. These numbers work out differently for each airline.

The A359 is a very good long haul aircraft - those routes that take over 12 hours would certainly have very good economics (CASK).

Looking at D7's network, most of its routes are under 9 hours and the A333's economics in its current configuration is pretty darn good - earning it top marks in the CASK league! The A339 is only slightly better and the A359 is similar to the A333/A339 on short routes. These days, they can lease 10 year old A333s at very low rates. That is why they may also be pondering waiting till the 251t variant is available, thereby foregoing the 242t version that will come into service soon.

D7 is taking so long to come to any conclusion as to which aircraft is their best option - it is really no easy task!

What about the 777 vs Accord? How that does compare? Would airlines choose the 777 over the Accord?

Believe that TF will eventually order with AB as currently its fleet are all from AB and to introduce a few large twins will not be a cost effective way. And do not think D7 will not have more european desitinations other than London and possibly France/Germany. It's well known how TR uses Boeing as a means to get AB to give a better price only.

Edited by leon t

unless boeing able to give a deal breaker on 787, else, TF will die die stick back to Airbus.

Yes, D7 cannot really replace its young A330 fleet overnight. The leased aircraft from AerCap are the oldest that they have and the leases are expected to expire in 2023-2024.

Those directly ordered by D7 and are on finance leases will be low cost once paid off - so introducing the B787 will be a very costly affair as the whole infrastructure of the airline needs to change. But if Boeing offers to pay for that.......